Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Photon

Country flag
This is very nice to see she is much more complete during launch the p17a before her.
Also according to shukla ji INS surat is being built with modular construction method.
Sadly no news about the 1st p17a according to the original plan the first one should have been commissioned this year
Some portions of Surat is constructed by a Gujarathi private shipyard and brought to mumbai

Blademaster

You need to live in russia instead of crying from usa .Russia is not a friend of india but a bitch of china recent imran putin meeting and a pro pak documentary on kashmir by russia government media is an example as russia too want to tap the ummah chumma terrorists for its goals in central asia.Russia is a dead horse for india and has nothing to offer but we can use it to bait europe and usa and tell them about the dangers they will face if dragon and bear collaborate with jihadis.
Doesn't matter whether I live in the US or not. The point is that we need a multipolar world, not a unipolar world and it is a strategic mistake to push Russia all the way into China's camp. We need Russia to be neutral in any fight between China and India. That is a strategic imperative

It is you that need to wake up to the dangers of US. otherwise you will see India become a bitch of US. India was never a bitch of Russia.

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Afaik rustom 2 cant carry this big and heavy payload...thing weighs about 400kg
If Rustom-2 cannot carry this missile in it's current configuration, than we will have to make a smaller version of it which has a smaller warhead and overall weight. Same is being done with Brahmos, a variant called brahmos NG is being developed and it will have less weight as compared to the baseline brahmos which will enable it to be carried by Aircrafts like LCA Tejas. So we could do a NASM NG here.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
If Rustom-2 cannot carry this missile in it's current configuration, than we will have to make a smaller version of it which has a smaller warhead and overall weight. Same is being done with Brahmos, a variant called brahmos NG is being developed and it will have less weight as compared to the baseline brahmos which will enable it to be carried by Aircrafts like LCA Tejas. So we could do a NASM NG here.
NASM-SR is light as it gets, Making it more light will be difficult. We will have to increase the power of Rutom-2 by upgrading the engines and we are doing that.
100 kg is the bare minimum warhead required else it will be too weak to cause meaningful damage.

Super Flanker

Country flag
NASM-SR is light as it gets, Making it more light will be difficult. We will have to increase the power of Rutom-2 by upgrading the engines and we are doing that.
100 kg is the bare minimum warhead required else it will be too weak to cause meaningful damage.
NASM-SR can definitely be made lighter, we are doing the same thing with Brahmos NG, it's basically Baseline Brahmos which has been made lighter in terms of weight AFAIK.

Or we can do what you have Said, Upgrade the engines of Rustom-2 so that it will be able to carry more weight. But in my opinion, we should try and implement Both the Ideas. Make the missile lighter and also add a new engine to the Drone.
If we are going to use NASM against any enemy ship than keep in Mind that we will be using several at once, it's not that we will be using only 1 Missile, using Many at Times will help in Effectively damaging the hull of a ship (Any warhead which is 70+ kg, if shot in enough numbers will definitely cause severe damage to s ship Hull)

dunham.jpg

Super Flanker

Country flag
Lighter amunitions like 80mm rockets under development by DRDO can be used in drone but i want to ask if some land based variant of NASM can be developed for IAF & IA Apaches???
NASM is an Indian missile and Apache is an American platform so it can't be Integrated in Indian Apache unless uncle Sam allows us which they probably will never do. Better to rather Integrate these missiles Like ALH Dhruv. (Dhruv might be able to carry atleast 2 of them)

Arpuster

Country flag
NASM is an Indian missile and Apache is an American platform so it can't be Integrated in Indian Apache unless uncle Sam allows us which they probably will never do. Better to rather Integrate these missiles Like ALH Dhruv. (Dhruv might be able to carry atleast 2 of them)
Than better we try it with LCH also. Helina, SANT & NASM's land attack version will make LCH deadly. I hope if ALH can carry two then LCH may also be able to carry atleast one. May be using SAAW PCB warhead in land attack version of NASM.

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Country flag
Than better we try it with LCH also. Helina, SANT & NASM's land attack version will make LCH deadly. I hope if ALH can carry two then LCH may also be able to carry atleast one. May be using SAAW PCB warhead in land attack version of NASM.
LCH? I would say that adding NASM on LCH will definitely work but it won't be able to carry them in enough numbers, you should have atleast 2 such missiles with LCH. In order to exploit maximum range of NASM, we will have to drop it at a higher altitude. This is where the problem Starts, you see, the more altitude the LCH flies to, the air becomes more thinner and the payload Capacity reduces greatly.

Read this "COPYPASTE" I will provide you source as well.

“At altitudes of 6,000 metres (almost 20,000 feet), which the LCH must operate at, the air is so thin that it can only carry a weapon payload of 350-500 kg"

SOURCE :

This source is quite old but still LCH payload reduces as it gains more Altitude. So yes at the maximum Altitude, It will have payload Capacity to launch at Most only 1 missile. But I don't think so that you would use a LCH with only 1 such missile, you need to have Atleast 2-3. I am expecting that ALH/Dhruv/Rudra might be able to carry at most 2 such missiles.

Super Flanker

Country flag
I believe SAAW will be integrated for use in Rustom-2. It should be able to carry atleast 2 nos. of SAAW.
What will you use SAAW on Rustom-2 for? SAAW is short for "Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon" so as the name suggests, it will be used to target and Destroy enemy Airfields and Runways but why would you send a drone like Rustom-2 with SAAW? Ideally we should send planes like SU-30 MKI, Jaguars etc.

Arpuster

Country flag
What will you use SAAW on Rustom-2 for? SAAW is short for "Smart Anti-Airfield Weapon" so as the name suggests, it will be used to target and Destroy enemy Airfields and Runways but why would you send a drone like Rustom-2 with SAAW? Ideally we should send planes like SU-30 MKI, Jaguars etc.
SAAW can also be used against bunkers and other reinforced structures.

Super Flanker

Country flag
SAAW can also be used against bunkers and other reinforced structures.
Yes we can definitely use SAAW in such a way but if we are going to use SAAW with Rustom-2 than we will have to hit targets close to the border. Like I said as well, SAAW will be used primarily by fighters like Jaguar/SU-30 MKI.

Arpuster

Country flag
Yes we can definitely use SAAW in such a way but if we are going to use SAAW with Rustom-2 than we will have to hit targets close to the border. Like I said as well, SAAW will be used primarily by fighters like Jaguar/SU-30 MKI.
Yes primarily it will be used by our fighter fleet but I meant that Rustom-2 will also be made capable to deploy SAAW. It is also envisaged to be used by CATS warrior. I feel even if you are only able to use it close to border then also SAAW equipped Rustom-2 will be great asset.

Arpuster

Country flag
LCH? I would say that adding NASM on LCH will definitely work but it won't be able to carry them in enough numbers, you should have atleast 2 such missiles with LCH. In order to exploit maximum range of NASM, we will have to drop it at a higher altitude. This is where the problem Starts, you see, the more altitude the LCH flies to, the air becomes more thinner and the payload Capacity reduces greatly.

Read this "COPYPASTE" I will provide you source as well.

“At altitudes of 6,000 metres (almost 20,000 feet), which the LCH must operate at, the air is so thin that it can only carry a weapon payload of 350-500 kg"

SOURCE :

This source is quite old but still LCH payload reduces as it gains more Altitude. So yes at the maximum Altitude, It will have payload Capacity to launch at Most only 1 missile. But I don't think so that you would use a LCH with only 1 such missile, you need to have Atleast 2-3. I am expecting that ALH/Dhruv/Rudra might be able to carry at most 2 such missiles.
max range of NASM can be achieved at 3 km drop altitude so along the IB of Rajasthan, Punjab & Jammu region, LCH may be deployed with 2 nos of ground attack variant of NASM with lighter warhead of SAAW. Its just a thought from me.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles