Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

IndianHawk

Country flag
In my opinion, we need more (Anti Submarine Warfare) ASW assets, just 9-10 P-8Is, 24 MH 60 helicopters won't be enough in my opinion.

Guys,like we bought MH 60 Romeo helicopter for Anti Submarine Warfare Role ,should we buy AW159 helicopters too?Even They are pretty good anti Submarine Warfare helicopters in my opinion(Just a personal opinion, so don't bash me about it kindly)
View attachment 121556
We have ordered 12 p8i in total already and 6 more will be ordered soon.
MH 60 R numbers depend on number of capital ships with helicopter hangers . So will grow with ship numbers .

JBH22

Should order , six more .
We are happy , indian navy is happy , @BON PLAN is happy .And French are happy.
Acoustic signature and other important details have been leaked. Hence, Navy being uninterested to go for more Scorpene. That killed any intention to mass produced the Scorpene. After much effort, we built capacity but all lost due the leakage of critical/sensitive data.

The leaked DCNS data details … what frequencies they gather intelligence at, what levels of noise they make at various speeds and their diving depths, range and endurance — all sensitive information that is highly classified. The data tells the submarine crew where on the boat they can speak safely to avoid detection by the enemy. It also discloses magnetic, electromagnetic and infra-red data as well as the specifications of the submarine’s torpedo launch system and the combat system. It details the speed and conditions needed for using the periscope, the noise specifications of the propeller and the radiated noise levels that occur when the submarine surfaces.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Acoustic signature and other important details have been leaked. Hence, Navy being uninterested to go for more Scorpene. That killed any intention to mass produced the Scorpene. After much effort, we built capacity but all lost due the leakage of critical/sensitive data.
A lot of changes were made after the leak. And all those things change from depth to water density and other parameters. I won't worry about it too much. At least 3 more scorpion should be ordered untill next program could start.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Lets be fair, with their current torpedos and Anti-ship missiles, these are barely a powerful platform. I hate to say this, but Black shark Torpedos are needed asap.
I have been hearing about Black Shark for a long time. How potent are these? Can these be made locally? Varunastra is a smaller torpedo but can a Mk2 of it be made along Black Shark's capability?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Seems almost intentional. Can the line not be used to make other types of submarines? Indigenous ones?

The Shrike

Country flag
Hoping against hope that the line does not go idle. We lost the know how once should not let it happen again.
It already is idle, this is from a 2010 article.
"Two Scorpene hulls are already built and MDL is close to completing the third. By early 2012, all six Scorpene hulls will be ready. MDL’s hull fabrication shop — which cuts steel for the hull, rolls it, fabricates hull segments and then welds them together into a complete hull — will be sitting idle from 2012, and ready to be diverted to Project 75I.”

Angel of War

Country flag
In my opinion, we need more (Anti Submarine Warfare) ASW assets, just 9-10 P-8Is, 24 MH 60 helicopters won't be enough in my opinion.

Guys,like we bought MH 60 Romeo helicopter for Anti Submarine Warfare Role ,should we buy AW159 helicopters too?Even They are pretty good anti Submarine Warfare helicopters in my opinion(Just a personal opinion, so don't bash me about it kindly)
View attachment 121556
in my opinion more MH60s would do the job . 48 MH60s will account for 4 ASW squadrons which are enough to deter porkis and chinese

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
in my opinion more MH60s would do the job . 48 MH60s will account for 4 ASW squadrons which are enough to deter porkis and chinese
Yeah right. You are correct about that. I guess we need more of the same type rather than Different type in my opinion to be honest. Additional Mh-60s Will be the best in my opinion, we should have atleast 35-45 MH-60s in my opinion for Effectively countering China and Pakistan together. Maybe 50+ will be do the job best! Who knows? Navy Knows better than us what they want.

rohit b3

Country flag
I have been hearing about Black Shark for a long time. How potent are these? Can these be made locally? Varunastra is a smaller torpedo but can a Mk2 of it be made along Black Shark's capability?
Black Shark is probably the most potent torpedo in the world today.
Varunastra is not bad either, but as far as i know, the submarine launched version isnt ready yet. It was reported in 2016 that work on submarine launched version has begun, but we havnt heart of any trials yet.
I would want Varunastra over Black Share any day, being an Indian option though.
But never the less, both Black shark and Varunastra are miles ahead of the current 1960s SUT Torpedos on the Kalvari.

THESIS THORON

Country flag
, the submarine launched version isnt ready yet. It was reported in 2016 that work on submarine launched version has begun, but we havnt heart of any trials yet.
I would want Varunastra over Black Share any day, being an Indian option though.
But never the less, both Black shark and Varunastra are miles ahead of the current 1960s SUT Torpedos on the Kalvari.
and we are also working on super cavitating torpedo which are dammm fast.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles