Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Tridev123

Country flag
Yes but unlike Pakistanis we have shown we are more than capable of developing sophisticated technology. Whether that be in the field of space, planes, ships , helicopters or our own missiles.

Sure submarines is a very different field but I think we can do it.
Bro, I am a firm believer in indigenous weapons as no country can fight wars on a sustained basis successfully with only imported weapons. The longer the war drags on the more will be the realisation that dependence on imported weapons and ammunition is counter productive.

India has been quite successful in many defence technology areas. In areas like naval sonars we are probably in the top 5 in the world. So there is no dispute about our capabilities.

My objection was to certain terms used by some members for the Akula SSN leased by India.
' subs are made ages ago and are now useless'
'the money given to Russia can be used in our industry'
'we made a missile tracking ship, so we can make nuke subs (easily)

Now what is the reality. There was substantial technical help from the Russians for the first Arihant class SSBN including the submarine reactor.
You need not believe me. Please get in touch with Naval Officers and the DRDO and the Atomic Energy people and verify if such Russian help was indeed there. But I believe that we have indigenised many of the major systems and sub systems of the Arihant class over the last decade and are in a better position.

Nobody not the US, France or any other European power helped us initially with the Nuclear Submarine programme. Only the Russians volunteered.

The Akula is even now a decent SSN. Better than anything that the Chinese have.
To call it ' old and useless ' is unwarranted. Because India is a late starter and designing and building an SSN is not an easy task. So we need to be aware of the realities and not use such adjectives.

Tomorrow somebody may ask us - what indigenous SSN have you built that is better than the Akula.

Critisise the Akula, no problem. By comparing with other SSN 's. But if Russia stops providing the SSN, where will we get it from. From France or the USA.?. Will they lease it to us. Do we really have an alternative to Russia.

And please note. The Akula was used to train our sailors in effectively operating an nuclear submarine. Also the design of the Akula was studied and used as inputs for designing the Arihant SSBN.

There are some reasons to be disappointed with Russia. Especially the fact that they did not provide the required TOT for us to independently design our own weapons. It was mostly SKD or CKD assembly. The Brahmos missile is probably the only exception where we have a large share in the technology.

It is also a fact that US nuclear submarine technology is slightly ahead of the Russians. But can we get access to the technology. Washington even now will not share anything with us in the nuclear submarine arena. France is a question mark.

So I was only trying to make the point that we should not be unnecessarily boastful in areas like nuclear submarines. Russia is still far ahead of us in this field.

Also designing an missile tracking ship and an nuclear submarine are two different things. One capability does not lead to the other.

We have diversified our defence imports and have bought many advanced weapons from the US, France and Israel. Good. But in some areas we are still dependent on Russia as no other country provides such weapons. Especially nuclear submarine technology.

We will progress in the future and probably match the capabilities of the advanced countries in the next two decades . But for now let us have realistic expectations from the nation.

Deadtrap

Country flag
INS Anvesh from 7 July. Tugs attached and ship moved from its earlier location. Unable to get latest pic due to clouds.

INS Anvesh.jpg

The article says, it will be launched for sea trials. I suspect it is already in sea trails.

Last edited:

Deadtrap

Country flag
Indian Navy's series of bi/multilateral exercises with foreign navies continues. With 12 Ex at various levels in the month of August, this month has already seen 5 such.

INS Tabar during it's port call at Alexandria, Egypt on 3rd Sept followed by an Ex in the Mediterranean sea.

INS Tabar Egypt 3 Sept Map.jpg

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Well if you compare against western platform no doubt the build quality is inferior. But looking in to our budgetary constraints, West fickleness to impose sanctions, our own tech deficit the investment in Russian platform is a decent hedge.
With regards to delays I think India is the last cou try that can go on chest thumping mode in that segment.
Actually if compared along build quality to cost ratio, Russian stuff sucks there too. It's simply overpriced from start, keeps getting its cost revised to 3-4 times of original throughout project and consumes more money in fuel consumption/maintenance wise.

Our own limitations with regards to our military industry is a problem. Otherwise the reasons why India purchases things from Russia are just political and not budgetary. West has always remained at least unfriendly if not directly hostile towards India since independence.

sorcerer

Country flag
Indian Navy holds exercises in the Red Sea, not far from the Suez Canal

Global Defence

New threads

Articles