Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
NGC will be the p28a or it will be called something else .....ngf exists just as much as ngd so if u include one then u should include the other as well.....same goes for indigenous ssn and s5 class ssbn neither have been granted aon but planned like ngd and ngf
Anyone ever seen any typical drawing or anything of ngf and ngd from official sources

Gessler

Country flag
NGC will be the p28a or it will be called something else .....ngf exists just as much as ngd so if u include one then u should include the other as well.....same goes for indigenous ssn and s5 class ssbn neither have been granted aon but planned like ngd and ngf
As I said "Unknown quantity"

How many NGF do we want? Is there any known figure?

So even if I include it, I have to leave the number as "?" so it wouldn't add to the tally anyway.

The P28 was a dedicated ASW corvette with no real surface warfare capability & only very minimal self-defence capabilities. If ever there would be a P28A (as in, a follow-on of P28) it would share similar mission profile.

But NGC as per all available information is a multi-mission corvette with ASuW, AAW & ASW capabilities. It's more of a Khukri/Kora-successor in terms of capability spectrum. In short, it's not a P28 follow on.

The term "P28A" was always a fanboy creation. Just like S5 being called Avinash-class.

flanker99

Country flag
As I said "Unknown quantity"

How many NGF do we want? Is there any known figure?

So even if I include it, I have to leave the number as "?" so it wouldn't add to the tally anyway.

The P28 was a dedicated ASW corvette with no real surface warfare capability & only very minimal self-defence capabilities. If ever there would be a P28A (as in, a follow-on of P28) it would share similar mission profile.

But NGC as per all available information is a multi-mission corvette with ASuW, AAW & ASW capabilities. It's more of a Khukri/Kora-successor in terms of capability spectrum. In short, it's not a P28 follow on.

The term "P28A" was always a fanboy creation. Just like S5 being called Avinash-class.
The requirement for ngf is 10 and 5 for ngd ...and the role of ngc doesnt matter what matters is its tonnage which will be around same as kamorta (look at its armaments)..so if ur putting p28 in MSC then NGC must belong in MSC as well.

flanker99

Country flag
Download the 2018 tpcr it has all the future requirements.

Abdus Salem killed

V.2 after taking into account the inputs by several members here, plus making more additions.

34 Major Surface Combatants
  • 4 x Project 15B Visakhapatnam-class -- Destroyer
  • 3 x Project 15A Kolkata-class -- Destroyer
  • 3 x Either/or Project 15 Delhi-class SLEP or Project 18 NGD (1 to 1 replacement possible) -- Destroyer
  • 7 x Project 17A Nilgiri-class -- Frigate
  • 3 x Project 17 Shivalik-class -- Frigate
  • 10 x Talwar/Krivak-II/Adm. Grigorovich-class -- Frigate
  • 4 x Project 28 Kamorta-class -- Ocean-going Corvette
52 Minor Surface Combatants
  • 7 x NGC -- Corvette
  • 6 x NGMV -- Corvette
  • 16 x Shallow-water ASW -- Littoral Corvette
  • 11 x NGOPV -- Ocean-going OPV
  • 4 x Saryu-class -- Ocean-going OPV
  • 8 x NG-MCMV -- Minesweeper
2 Aircraft Carriers
  • 1 x Vikramaditya -- STOBAR
  • 1 x Project 71 Vikrant -- STOBAR
16 Amphibious Warfare Platforms
  • 2 x MRSV -- LHD
  • 8 x Mk.4 -- LCU
  • 1 x Jalashwa -- LPD
  • 3 x Shardul-class -- LST
  • 2 x Magar-class -- LST
13 Nuclear Submarines
  • 3 x Arihant-class -- SSBN (later possible conversion to SSGN)
  • 1 x S4* class -- SSBN
  • 3 x S5 class -- SSBN
  • 6 x Project 75A/Project 76 -- SSN
12 Diesel Submarines
  • 6 x Project 75 Kalvari-class -- SSK (later retrofitted to become SSP)
  • 6 x Project 75I class -- SSP
9 Support Ships
  • 5 x FSS -- Oiler/Fleet Support
  • 2 x Deepak-class -- Oiler
  • 1 x Aditya-class -- Oiler
  • 1 x Komandarm Fedko/Jyoti -- Oiler
17 Special Vessels
  • 1 x Dhruv -- MRIS
  • 1 x Anvesh -- MRIS
  • 4 x GRSE-class -- Hydrographic Survey (likely 4 x more at later stage)
  • 1 x Makar-class -- Survey Catamaran
  • 2 x DSV -- Diving Support Vessel
  • 5 x DSC -- Diving Support Craft
  • 2 x DSAR 500L -- Deep Submarine Rescue
  • 1 x Astradhani -- Torpedo Recovery
Everyone is once again free to contribute/suggest changes & corrections. IN programs are a chore to effectively keep track of...for example till the point I sat down for this I was sure as sunrise that we had 1 more Torpedo recovery vessel in construction, apart from INS Astradhani that's already in service. Turns out, there isn't any such program.
What I like most about navy is this vessel

VC-11184

Gessler

Country flag
The requirement for ngf is 10 and 5 for ngd ...and the role of ngc doesnt matter what matters is its tonnage which will be around same as kamorta (look at its armaments)..so if ur putting p28 in MSC then NGC must belong in MSC as well.
The TPCR clubs the NGD & NGF together and lists total requirement as between 5 and 10 (that's what 5-10 means). How it will be distributed is unknown, at minimum could be 3 NGF & 2 NGD and at maximum 6-7 NGF & 3-4 NGD. The requirement numbers of each type are not yet concrete.

As I mentioned previously in the thread, I've arbitrarily drawn the line between major & minor combatant at 3,000 tons. Plus, the lack of ASuW on P28 means it will invariably have to function as part of a task force/battlegroup. This is not the case with NGC.

I cannot find NGC's displacement estimate anywhere, let me know if there is. It's not in TPCR. Far as I know, it was never quoted, just as well that NGC project remains stagnant compared to NGMV which is progressing.

The capabilities listed as needed for both NGC & NGMV can be easily fulfilled by a ~1800-2500T ship classes like the MILGEM corvette or Steregushchiy-class. A ~3400T P28 platform is not necessary unless role of NGC is to function as part of independent task forces, which I doubt it is.

flanker99

Country flag
The TPCR clubs the NGD & NGF together and lists total requirement as between 5 and 10 (that's what 5-10 means). How it will be distributed is unknown, at minimum could be 3 NGF & 2 NGD and at maximum 6-7 NGF & 3-4 NGD. The requirement numbers of each type are not yet concrete.

As I mentioned previously in the thread, I've arbitrarily drawn the line between major & minor combatant at 3,000 tons. Plus, the lack of ASuW on P28 means it will invariably have to function as part of a task force/battlegroup. This is not the case with NGC.

I cannot find NGC's displacement estimate anywhere, let me know if there is. It's not in TPCR. Far as I know, it was never quoted, just as well that NGC project remains stagnant compared to NGMV which is progressing.

The capabilities listed as needed for both NGC & NGMV can be easily fulfilled by a ~1800-2500T ship classes like the MILGEM corvette or Steregushchiy-class. A ~3400T P28 platform is not necessary unless role of NGC is to function as part of independent task forces, which I doubt it is.
ngc required range is much greather than ngmv while the armaments remains the same...it was around 2.5k nm for ngmv and 4k nm for ngc iirc so clearly ngc will be bigger most likely same as p28.
I had forgotten about that either or part in NGF and NGD but i think if the navy choses dd's they will buy 5 and if they chose frigates they will buy 10

Gessler

Country flag
ngc required range is much greather than ngmv while the armaments remains the same...it was around 2.5k nm for ngmv and 4k nm for ngc iirc so clearly ngc will be bigger most likely same as p28.
I had forgotten about that either or part in NGF and NGD but i think if the navy choses dd's they will buy 5 and if they chose frigates they will buy 10
At what speed?

1800-ton Steregushchiy has 3.8k nm range @ 14 kt.
2400-ton Ada-class has 3.5k nm @ 15 kt.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Don't you guys feel ,these projects are way too expensive ,we almost pay 1.4 times for a submarine.tot and being build here , this is really least cost saving way of ours .

@Chinmoy do you know whether we have a indigenous design in works or designing phase .

This tot and license building is costing too much , we could have built 9 submarine at cost of 6 if design was indigenous , but what can we do , navy don't want it , neither we were capable in past , this p 75 i should be last of import .
As far as I know, NDB is only involved in SSBN.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
No. Even the Arihant class is based on Russian design and a blend of SSN and SSBN. So the same route could be seen in SSN too.

Personally I believe its a good move.
But thst would mean our own capability are never developed in designing a vessel , but time is running out for us ,so the fastest route should be taken

Jimih

Country flag
Indian Navy to get at least three MH-60 "Romeo" multi-mission heavy-duty helicopters soon

sorcerer

Country flag
Deadly ‘Romeos’ helicopters coming to India! Indian Navy to get first MH-60Rs

The first three out 24 MH-60R Seahawks are expected to be delivered next month. Sources have confirmed to Financial Express Online that “Dates are in the process of being confirmed for delivering the helicopters to the Indian Mission in the US. After which they will be sent to India.”

The pilots and ground crew from the Indian Navy are already in the US undergoing training. They will return with the new MH-60Rs.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Deadly ‘Romeos’ helicopters coming to India! Indian Navy to get first MH-60Rs

The first three out 24 MH-60R Seahawks are expected to be delivered next month. Sources have confirmed to Financial Express Online that “Dates are in the process of being confirmed for delivering the helicopters to the Indian Mission in the US. After which they will be sent to India.”

The pilots and ground crew from the Indian Navy are already in the US undergoing training. They will return with the new MH-60Rs.

>Deadly.
Elementary graders are writing defence articles now.

Starlight

Country flag
I hear the USN might be interested in the Naval version of the LCA for training pilots on a supersonic trainer, they are retiring the goshawk and the Talon.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles