Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Rafale M lease possible Indian navy
I have a question from whom will we lease Rafale M? French Navy has 44 and our requirement of approximately 36. Also French Navy Rafale M are designed to be operated using catapult. French Air-force has about 108 but I don't see them leasing. Infact I don't see any country leasing their state of art asset.
Apart from Dassault Aviation I don't think anyone will lease their aircraft and even Dassault Aviation will have to manufacture new aircraft for leasing, so the cost of leasing will be exorbitant.
To operate on our carrier the aircraft needs to be modified to operate using ski-jump. What will happen to aircraft after lease period is over? Modification for Ski-Jump will have to be removed before selling the aircraft to someone else (provided they have a buyer for second hand heavily modified aircraft).

Finally, I feel such videos are to be viewed Infotainment as not much taught is given in their reporting.

As far as leasing option goes F-18 has a better chance of leasing as USN has several aircraft in reserve.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
I have a question from whom will we lease Rafale M? French Navy has 44 and our requirement of approximately 36. Also French Navy Rafale M are designed to be operated using catapult. French Air-force has about 108 but I don't see them leasing. Infact I don't see any country leasing their state of art asset.
Apart from Dassault Aviation I don't think anyone will lease their aircraft and even Dassault Aviation will have to manufacture new aircraft for leasing, so the cost of leasing will be exorbitant.
To operate on our carrier the aircraft needs to be modified to operate using ski-jump. What will happen to aircraft after lease period is over? Modification for Ski-Jump will have to be removed before selling the aircraft to someone else (provided they have a buyer for second hand heavily modified aircraft).

Finally, I feel such videos are to be viewed Infotainment as not much taught is given in their reporting.

As far as leasing option goes F-18 has a better chance of leasing as USN has several aircraft in reserve.
That's some odd channel don't focus on them , it won't , we have to live with mig 29 k till tedbf

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Navy need more tankers, Minesweeper landing crafts and LPD "for now", these are the most neglected area in our navy.
18-24* Minesweeper
8-12 * Tankers
6/8 * LPD

I am putting this figure by end of 2035, if we can start procurement now we might reach this figure in batch orders.
if lockdowns doesn't fucked up with our economy then by 2035-40 we will have enough financial muscles to secure IOR without taking help from Sam uncle.
As far as the minesweeper fleet is concerned, I see no other option other than the Alexandrit class of minesweepers for IN.
That deal for 5 45,000 tonne replenishment tankers with a Turkish ahipyard is pretty much a done deal, that will take up the tanker fleet strength to 9.
To induct 6-8 LPD, IN will have look to cheaper alternatives to the uber expensive Juan Carlos 1, Mistral classes which are under $200 million per ship.

IndianHawk

Country flag

There is no question of leasing fighter jets for navy when airforce is facing shortage. Airforce won't allow it. Navy anyway has no direct threat anytime soon. Chinese j15 is a dud and they can't even cross 1st island chain.

Airforce shortage will be fixed first only after that naval issue will be looked at. Anyway mig29k are new enough and aren't going anywhere before 2035 while tebdf will roll in.

omaebakabaka

SSN are total indigenous design. Only help from foreign partners may be sought is for 150 MW nuke reactor.
Indigenous with a wink :). There is a lot of consultation with Rooskies and they have permanent teams in Vishakapattanam. It is true that our content is certainly increasing every day and year...

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
SSN are total indigenous design. Only help from foreign partners may be sought is for 150 MW nuke reactor.
I guess the requirement is for a 190MW reactor so as to have commonality with the S5 class SSBN, my feeling is that 190MW is a bit overpowered for a 6000ton sub.
I am a bit skeptical about the French reactor since it has to be refueled every 7-10 years, would be a hassle.
OK-650V series of reactir however fit our requirement perfectly.

omaebakabaka

I guess the requirement is for a 190MW reactor so as to have commonality with the S5 class SSBN, my feeling is that 190MW is a bit overpowered for a 6000ton sub.
I am a bit skeptical about the French reactor since it has to be refueled every 7-10 years, would be a hassle.
I think 190MW rings true as the tonnage for next gen SSBN and what not will be close to double....probably working at it now for that purpose

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
Rafale M lease possible Indian navy
Yes lease the Rafale and the hornet and make another zoo in the Navy 🙏, also will they make rafale-m just so we can lease them????I don't think so (Rafale still hasn't demonstrated STOBAR, it can only do catobar AFAIK)

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Indigenous with a wink :). There is a lot of consultation with Rooskies and they have permanent teams in Vishakapattanam. It is true that our content is certainly increasing every day and year...
As per some sources, the design of the 83Mw reactor on the Arihant is based of off the Soviet VM-5 nuclear reactor of the 1960s.

IndianHawk

Country flag
didnt we already paid for it in the form of 3 billion dollar lease from russia for nuclear submarine. i bet this is where the more powerful reactor is coming.
That is for ssbn program. After arihant class 4 SsBN we will build 3 giant ssbn of 13000 tons for which a new powerful reactor is required. Which might also go for.our ssn program and might also power future aircraft carriers in pairs of required. ( Like Charles degualle.).

IndianHawk

Country flag
While an SSN need not have very powerful reactor France still operates rubis class ssn with just 48 mw reactor. So 83 MW of arihant itself is sufficient for 3000-4000 ton SSN. But in future power requirements might be much higher thanks to more powerful missile / hypersonic / direct energy weapons etc.

Hence one needs as powerful a reactor possible to be on the safe side.

omaebakabaka

While an SSN need not have very powerful reactor France still operates rubis class ssn with just 48 mw reactor. So 83 MW of arihant itself is sufficient for 3000-4000 ton SSN. But in future power requirements might be much higher thanks to more powerful missile / hypersonic / direct energy weapons etc.

Hence one needs as powerful a reactor possible to be on the safe side.
India needs couple of Arctic class icebreakers too....can't just stand by and watch resource wars of future

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles