Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Why can’t we use Rustom-I for that role for small area ops, armed with APKWS rockets can become a game changer. Even Porkis use Burraq armed with 2 ATGMS each. Porkis are buying 48 WingLoong-II considering the experience of other countries I don’t think Porkis will get low quality ones as these will be used against India so China will not sell low quality wingloongs like it did to other nations which were crashing every fucking day. Our UCAV capability needs a boost as it will decide fate of war as our Kamikaze drones can take our long range and medium range SAM’s easily. But again indigenous systems hardly get order.

L&T Drone can be armed with APKWS a great platform.

N4tsula67

Country flag
L&T Drone can be armed with APKWS a great platform
Is there any actually prototype ? Or its just on drawing board. As far as ik its in very early development stages. Anyway i agree with Rustom-I part why we aren't using it is not something i can think. It has issues but those can be fixed.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Is there any actually prototype ? Or its just on drawing board. As far as ik its in very early development stages. Anyway i agree with Rustom-I part why we aren't using it is not something i can think. It has issues but those can be fixed.
No it doesn’t have issues, it is completely matured tech, IAF didn’t buy it because of its small size and less range.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Seriously we don't even have handheld version of rustom-i. We have a small handheld prototype of Ghatak then I'm pretty sure we can make handheld Rustom too.
Which Indian drone do we have operational? Ghatak has first fligh scheduled for 2025, Rustom-II is still in testing far from production.

WolfPack86

Country flag
USD 51 BN ORDERS LIKELY TO BE EXECUTED BY NAVY FOR SURFACE SHIPS SUBMARINES IN 10 YRS GOVT
Panaji: Union Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik on Friday said expected orders for surface ships and submarines to be executed from 2020 to 2030 by the Indian Navy are to the tune of USD 51 billion.

Naik was addressing a virtual meet on opportunities at Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL) and Mazagao Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDSL), organised by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).

The union minister said that more than 60 per cent of the Indian Navy's budget is dedicated to capital expenditure and nearly 70 per cent of this capital budget has been spent on indigenous sourcing, amounting to nearly Rs. 66,000 crore in the last five years.

He said that with more than 60 major surface and sub-surface platforms being built for mainly the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard at Goa Shipyard Limited, Mazagon Docks Shipbuilders Limited, Garden Reach Shipbuilder and Engineers (GRSE), Hindustan Shipyards Limited (HSL) and Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL), the potential for MSMEs is vast.

Naik said "expected orders for surface ships and submarines to be executed from 2020 to 2030 are to the tune of USD 51 billion".

Speaking during the event, CII Goa State Council Chairman Blaise Costabir said that with India's maritime interests growing at a fast pace in line with Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision of a USD 5 trillion economy by 2025, the country's shipbuilding will see increased focus and demand.

The country's vast coastline and the evolving geopolitical situation in India's neighbourhood has also put a greater thrust on maritime safety and security, he added.

Chairman and Managing Director of GSL said the defence shipbuilding sector will continue to see robust growth.

There was 9.3 per cent growth in the defence budget in 2019-20, he said and added that the country expects to see the same trend for the next 10 years.

Deadtrap

Country flag
Beautiful 360 degree video of INS Vikramaditya. Flight deck, Bridge, Internal Hanger, Bakery, Gym, Museum etc

Akula

Country flag
Why can’t we use Rustom-I for that role for small area ops, armed with APKWS rockets can become a game changer. Even Porkis use Burraq armed with 2 ATGMS each. Porkis are buying 48 WingLoong-II considering the experience of other countries I don’t think Porkis will get low quality ones as these will be used against India so China will not sell low quality wingloongs like it did to other nations which were crashing every fucking day. Our UCAV capability needs a boost as it will decide fate of war as our Kamikaze drones can take our long range and medium range SAM’s easily. But again indigenous systems hardly get order.

L&T Drone can be armed with APKWS a great platform.
Comparison between Indian Rustom-1 vs Turkish Bakhtiyar Tb2
Rustom-1Bakhtiyar-Tb2
Length5.12m6.5m
Wingspan7.9m12m
MTOW720kg650kg
Max/Cruise Speed225kmph/125-175kmph220kmph/130kmph
Communication range250km150km
Service ceiling22,000ft27,500ft
Endurance12-15hrs24hrs
Payload90kg150kg
Powerplant150hp100hp

I have seen picture of Rustom-1 with twin ATGM launcher. Bakhtiyar TB2(UCAV) is a improved version of Bakhtiyar 1.

Last edited:

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian MoD Signed A Contract With Turkey’s TAIS Shipyards For 5 Fleet Support Vessels
The TAIS consortium, in partnership with HSL, won the Indian Ministry of Defence’s tender to design and build five FSVs (also known as Fleet Support Ship – FSS) for the Indian Navy in May 2019, but the contract was significantly delayed for cost and political reasons, including the Indian authorities’ dissatisfaction with Turkey’s active military and technical cooperation with Pakistan.

Prior to the selection of the Turkish TAIS project, HSL offered the Indian Navy to build FSVs in partnership with South Korea’s Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI), but eventually the HHI proposal was rejected by the Indian authorities for cost reasons.

The value of the contract signed back in February is 160 billion rupees (about $2.1 billion). The supply vessels will be built by HSL with the assistance of Turkish shipyards.

The TAIS consortium includes Turkish shipbuilding companies Anadolu Shipyard (ADiK, lead developer of the project), Istanbul Shipyard, Sedef Shipyard and Selah Shipyard. The construction of the first FSV is to begin at HSL in Visakhapatnam at the end of 2020 with the delivery to the Indian fleet in 2024, with the remaining four units to be delivered at 10-month intervals.

WolfPack86

Country flag
INDIA TEST-FIRES ANTI-SHIP NAVAL VERSION OF BRAHMOS, WEEK AFTER TESTING LAND-ATTACK VERSION: REPORT
The supersonic cruise missile, according to the report, was test-fired from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands territory as part of the trials being conducted by the Indian Navy

Continuing with its recent tests of BrahMos, India on Tuesday test-fired an anti-ship version of the supersonic cruise missile, news agency ANI reported quoting sources. The missile, reported ANI, was test-fired from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands territory as part of the trials being conducted by the Indian Navy.

“During the test held around 0925 hours, the DRDO-developed BrahMos supersonic cruise missile with a strike range of 300 km was launched from the Indian Navy’s INS Ranvijay and it successfully hit its target ship near the Car Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal,” it further quoted sources as saying.

This latest test comes as a part of a series of tests carried out by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in the last two months. On November 24, a land-attack version of BrahMos was test-fired, also from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands territory. The missile had “successfully” hit its target, located on another island, in a test that was carried out by the Indian Army.

The recent missile tests come in the backdrop of ongoing tensions with China across the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in eastern Ladakh, which started in May and intensified in the subsequent months. There has also been a spate of ceasefire violations by Pakistan across the Line of Control (LoC) in recent days and a fighter jet of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) was reportedly spotted near the LoC on Monday.

Jointly developed by the DRDO and Russia’s NPO Mashinostroyeniya, BrahMos is the world’s fastest supersonic cruise missile. A missile which can be launched from submarines, ship, aircraft or land, BrahMos is also the fastest anti-ship cruise missile in operation. A hypersonic version, called BrahMos-II, is currently under development.

The name ‘BrahMos’ has been derived from India’s Brahmaputra and Russia’s Moskva rivers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles