Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars
Make in India: Should Indian Navy’s cancellation of 2 contracts cause concern?

Last week, reports emerged that the Indian Navy had cancelled a contract worth Rs 2,500 crore with Reliance Naval and Engineering Ltd (RNEL) to build five naval offshore patrol vessels (NOPVs). This week, it was reported that the Indian Navy had scrapped a tender to build four large amphibious assault ships called landing platform docks (LPDs) that would have an estimated cost of Rs 20,000 crore. NOPVs The first NOPV ships, the Shachi and Shruti, were launched amid great fanfare in July 2017 at Pipavav shipyard in Gujarat. The NOPVs were intended to be patrol vessels that would “undertake surveillance of the country’s vast Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) besides operational tasks such as anti-piracy patrols, fleet support operations, maritime security of offshore assets, coastal security operations and protection of shipping lanes. The NOPVs would increase the ocean surveillance and patrolling capabilities of the Indian Navy,” The Indian Navy had said at the time of the launch of the Shachi and Shruti. The NOPV contract was significant as these would have been the first Indian Navy ships to be built by a private sector shipyard in India. PTI reported the contract was cancelled two weeks ago “due to the delay in the delivery of the vessels”. The Indian Navy signed the contract with Gujarat-based Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering in 2011 for the five NOPVs. Anil Ambani’s Reliance Group had taken over Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering in 2015. Pipavav itself was facing heavy losses at the time of its sale. The NOPV contract did not see smooth sailing as RNEL’s financial woes increased. The five ships were originally intended for delivery between 2014 and 2016. In December 2018, the Indian Navy encashed bank guarantees from RNEL after the delivery of the first ship was delayed. The ministry of defence requires vendors to provide bank guarantees worth 10 per cent of a contract’s worth. PTI reported last week RNEL “has an outstanding debt of over Rs 11,000 crore”. RNEL is currently going through debt resolution process after lenders took the company to the National Company Law Tribunal over default in loan repayments. As many as 12 companies submitted expressions of interest in taking over RNEL in August. However, the cancellation of the NOPV project has apparently cast a shadow over the bidding process. LPDs Unlike the NOPV project, the LPD project did not start construction, though the Indian Navy had launched the acquisition process almost seven years ago. PTI reported the request for proposal for the project was triggered by the Indian Navy issuing new specifications for the LPDs. LPDs are used to transport troops, land warfare assets such as tanks, helicopters and vessels into a warzone by sea. The LPDs were estimated to displace nearly 40,000 tonnes, making them as large as aircraft carriers. LPDs are useful not only for assaults on enemy beaches but also ferrying supplies and personnel to areas hit by natural disasters. China recently launched a large class of amphibious assault ships called the Type 075 class, which would displace around 40,000 tonnes. Three private sector companies—RNEL Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and ABG Shipyard—were in the race initially for the mega project, but ABG was disqualified on account of poor financial health. The shipyards were to offer designs developed with foreign shipyards for the Indian Navy contract. There had been speculation that the Indian Navy may cancel the tender given the financial woes of RNEL, which would have left it in a ‘single bidder’ situation. Private shipyards’ viability The cancellation of the NOPV tender and the worries about the debt resolution process has sparked worries RNEL may meet the same fate as two other private shipyards: ABG Shipyard and Bharati Shipyard. Both ABG Shipyard, with a debt of over Rs 19,000 crore, and Bharati Shipyard, with a debt of over Rs 13,000 crore, are already under liquidation, and lenders are likely to get less than Rs 800 crore and Rs 600 crore, respectively. The cancellation of the two Indian Navy projects also offer a cautionary tale of the challenges facing private shipyards at a time the defence forces are embracing ‘atmanirbharta’. In August, the ministry of defence released its first list of 101 defence equipment that would not be imported. Number 22 on the list was offshore patrol vessels.
About time. Reliance made a royal botch of the job... So much for MUH PWIVATE masterbation!

What's to become of Sachi & Shruti?

Last edited:

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
What is the use ? Wasted a decade and more to build it. Plus no aircrafts to operate from...... We are a waste ourselves... I have started hating our existance......
And Navy wants an Indigenous aircraft for IAC-1, its good to make indigenous aircraft for navy but F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III is the need of the hour, you can’t operate a carrier without aircraft and waiting for TEDBF for a DECADE.
1603075967814.jpeg

F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III is better than a Rafale F3R
is much more combat proven
has a huge airframe life
and a better after sales support as Boeing has presence in India for decades whereas Dassault Aviation has zero presence in India 🇮🇳.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
And Navy wants an Indigenous aircraft for IAC-1, its good to make indigenous aircraft for navy but F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III is the need of the hour, you can’t operate a carrier without aircraft and waiting for TEDBF for a DECADE.
View attachment 63401
F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III is better than a Rafale F3R
is much more combat proven
has a huge airframe life
and a better after sales support as Boeing has presence in India for decades whereas Dassault Aviation has zero presence in India 🇮🇳.
Nah bhai, I will wait for TEDBF and the reason for that is we have necessary building blocks for creation of such plane.

if ,I am correct your only problem is with FAST TRACKING OF SYSTEMS na, then for that blame government insistence on keeping BUREAUCRACY and OVERCONFIDENT BABUS and PAYING THEM as well as as always fund crunch due to dolling off money on ALWAYS IN PROBLEM OUR KISANS and election money for states.
Frankly this is as usual ploy from outsiders to keep us dependent.

AB NAHIN UTHO GE TOH KAB, we have to start moving in right direction for our own good now.

TEDBF will be our go to twin engine fighter in future so it's importance increase manifold in that sense.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Nah bhai, I will wait for TEDBF and the reason for that is we have necessary building blocks for creation of such plane.

if ,I am correct your only problem is with FAST TRACKING OF SYSTEMS na, then for that blame government insistence on keeping BUREAUCRACY and OVERCONFIDENT BABUS and PAYING THEM as well as as always fund crunch due to dolling off money on ALWAYS IN PROBLEM OUR KISANS and election money for states.
Frankly this is as usual ploy from outsiders to keep us dependent.

AB NAHIN UTHO GE TOH KAB, we have to start moving in right direction for our own good now.

TEDBF will be our go to twin engine fighter in future so it's importance increase manifold in that sense.
Bro you are a chhapri defence expert, your statement proved it (don’t take it otherwise, am not trolling). You can wait for TEDBF, who’s stopping you but Navy is not under you, TEDBF will be operational by 2030, till then Vikrant will be Aircraft-less? It is the truth that Navy should buy F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III for IAC-1 INS Vikrant and TEDBF for IAC-2 INS Vishal.

Reactions: SKC

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Bro you are a chhapri defence expert, your statement proved it (don’t take it otherwise, am not trolling). You can wait for TEDBF, who’s stopping you but Navy is not under you, TEDBF will be operational by 2030, till then Vikrant will be Aircraft-less? It is the truth that Navy should buy F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III for IAC-1 INS Vikrant and TEDBF for IAC-2 INS Vishal.
I think mig-29s were already ordered for IAC-1 so where comes FA-18?Show me the source of navy looking for new fighters for IAC-1 if you may and neither I said "I am a defense expert" and also please don't go into trolling(AND YOU WERE TROLLING AAAND that's for me to decide ,WANT ME TO GIVE YOU TOO A NAME? or HAVE TOO MUCH INTEREST GOING THAT PATH) mode Okay.
And I proved nothing, go back in the same thread and read it why FA-18 cant be taken as fast as you are saying.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I think mig-29s were already ordered for IAC-1 so where comes FA-18?Show me the source of navy looking for new fighters for IAC-1 if you may and neither I said "I am a defense expert" and also please don't go into trolling(AND YOU WERE TROLLING AAAND that's for me to decide ,WANT ME TO GIVE YOU TOO A NAME? or HAVE TOO MUCH INTEREST GOING THAT PATH) mode Okay.
And I proved nothing, go back in the same thread and read it why FA-18 cant be taken as fast as you are saying.
The 57 Aircraft open tender is there, and when did navy order additional Fulcrums?
what’s the logic then? F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III will come in flyaway condition and USA has a huge production facility they deliver on time. TEDBF prototype will fly by 2028, enter production by 2030 and get inducted by 2031.

Navy never bought additional Fulcrums, even if they did, then why they floated a tender for 57 aircraft? For imaginary INS Vishal?

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
I was talking about 43 which were bought.
24 for vikramaditya and rest for IAC, well I will turn out to be true when you will see migs there.
And also US has huge production line, no problem.
And it's not me, IN themselves said for them TEDBF is there, well it's another matter how planning and execution comitee screw themselves again.
The 57 Aircraft open tender is there, and when did navy order additional Fulcrums?
what’s the logic then? F/A-18E Super Hornet Block-III will come in flyaway condition and USA has a huge production facility they deliver on time. TEDBF prototype will fly by 2028, enter production by 2030 and get inducted by 2031.

Navy never bought additional Fulcrums, even if they did, then why they floated a tender for 57 aircraft? For imaginary INS Vishal?

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I was talking about 43 which were bought.
24 for vikramaditya and rest for IAC, well I will turn out to be true when you will see migs there.
And also US has huge production line, no problem.
And it's not me, IN themselves said for them TEDBF is there, well it's another matter how planning and execution comitee screw themselves again.
There is something called operational availability, obviously IN will initially use MiGs but why IN came with 57 aircraft tender then?
simple question.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
There is something called operational availability, obviously IN will initially use MiGs but why IN came with 57 aircraft tender then?
simple question.
That was for future carrier aka INS vishal also they thought they will use them once they retire migs from older carriers but now for future need, there is TEDBF being worked on.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
My nibba, if the tender is floated in 2021 as you said, can you give a timeline till the induction of 1st boat? Also what is the difference between NGMV and NG corvette?
Ya'll Nibbiars its like this
Next Generation Missile Vessel private sector. 2,800 tons. 6 planned ADC.
Project 28A class/NG Corvette HSY. 3,200 tons. 6 planned ASWC.
NGOPV private sector. 2,400 tons. 6 planned MOPV
and now there is the Sanchi Class Corvette replacement. 2,000 tons. 6 planned MOPV.

In total 24 Large corvette are planned.

Last edited:

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Next gen corvette-successor to Kamorta class. NGMV next gen mine sweeper?
Ya'll Nibbiars its like this
Next Generation Missile Vessel private sector. 2,800 tons. 6 planned ADC 24 VLS.
Project 28A class/NG Corvette HSY. 3,200 tons. 6 planned ASWC unknown VLS.
NGOPV private sector. 2,400 tons. 6 planned MOPV 16 VLS.
and now there is the Sanchi Class Corvette replacement. 2,000 tons. 6 planned MOPV VLS uknown.

In total 24 Large corvette are planned.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles