Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Tanmay

Country flag
All our ship building yards are occupied and busy with orders till next 5-10 years. There were only 2 options build new ship building yards or lease the orders which Govt did lattar.
2 of our big shipyards: Reliance and ABG have hulls rusting since they went bankrupt. Both are huge modern facilities.

Reliance building 5 Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels: 4 can be seen rusting there now since incomplete. The 600 tonne gantry cranes can also be seen

01.PNG

Probably cacdet training ships rusting @ ABG
01.PNG

I wish MDL takes over Reliance shipyard. It will speed up our P17 and destroyer programmes.

Thrishul

Country flag
Could the Navy via the government commandeer the vessels and have them sent to other shipyards for completion.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
2 of our big shipyards: Reliance and ABG have hulls rusting since they went bankrupt. Both are huge modern facilities.

Reliance building 5 Naval Offshore Patrol Vessels: 4 can be seen rusting there now since incomplete. The 600 tonne gantry cranes can also be seen

View attachment 51208

Probably cacdet training ships rusting @ ABG
View attachment 51209

I wish MDL takes over Reliance shipyard. It will speed up our P17 and destroyer programmes.
MDL now has the capacity to build 10 warships and 11 submarines simultaneously.
Another 4 P15B destroyers must be ordered ASAP to keep the production line running until P18 destroyers fructify.
IMG_20200605_133433.png

Tanmay

Country flag
MDL now has the capacity to build 10 warships and 11 submarines simultaneously.
Another 4 P15B destroyers must be ordered ASAP to keep the production line running until P18 destroyers fructify.
View attachment 51301
MDL is getting more land at Nhava. No construction as of now. Difficult to expand at the original congested loccation now and that MDL area is prime location for redevelopment.

The Gujarat Reliance yard is huge. Modular development of ships means blocks of ships can be built in non-urban areas and then sent on boats to MDL for final assembling.

Lower salaries and rent allowawnces to employees. less cost.

01.PNG

Tanmay

Country flag
4th P15B hull is getting built at Shroft Shipyard Bharuch.
Once hull is built, it will be towed to MDL for rest of the work.
Had posted this long ago

Chowgule Lavgan Shipyard @ Ratnagiri, Maharashtra
https://www.chowgulelavgan.com/

Has a nice shiplift too !! From photos I mistook it for some firangi western ship builder. Clean and oraganised yard and the view!

saketkr

Country flag
I was reading about the P17 & P17A Frigates of Indian Navy on Wikipedia and observed some figures which I could not comprehend completely.

The P17 at 6200 Tons has 32 Cell VLS for BARAK-1, 24 Shtil-1 medium range missiles, 8 VLS for KLUB or BRAHMOS, 1 OTO Melara 76 mm gun and additional ASuW weapons. The P17A at 6670 Tons has 32 Cell VLS for BARAK-8 and 8 VLS for BRAHMOS and BAE MK45 Naval Gun along with ASuW weapons. ASuW weapons on P17A are similar to P17 except that P17A has Triple-Tube Torpedo launcher.

I was reading from following links:

P17: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shivalik-class_frigate
P17A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgiri-class_frigate_(2019)

So, I think that the space and weight taken by 24 Shtil-1 in P17 is probably available in P17A. I could not make out why so much of space is left unutilized unless something is not declared or planned to be included in future on P17A. Can any Naval Guru here please throw some light on it? What could have prompted this decision regarding Ship Armament!

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Guys I've a question : Now that Visakhapatnam-class destroyer and Nilgiri-class frigate are in production what next? Shouldn't the next class be on design board by now?
I couldn't find any information regarding the same?

Gingo12345

Country flag
Guys I've a question : Now that Visakhapatnam-class destroyer and Nilgiri-class frigate are in production what next? Shouldn't the next class be on design board by now?
Yeah I was wondering too, I can't fidn anything on it either. Also nothing on the SSN subs. Just feel the navy gets left behind so much even though they have proven time and time again their willingness to trust the Indian industry.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
we don’t have to worry about IN, they have 15 years perspective plan.

As of today atleast 40 boats are in different stages of building.

Gingo12345

Country flag
we don’t have to worry about IN, they have 15 years perspective plan.

As of today atleast 40 boats are in different stages of building.

Because they consistently got the smallest budget within the armed forces the had to think strategically on how to utilise these finite resources and they have done a stellar job, I can only imagine what the navy would be like with the army's budget.

I hope the other two services had the vision and long term strategic thinking the navy had, then the situation probably would've looked different.

I just hope this government and future governments recognise the importance of the IN to counter the PLAN and increase their funding.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
PROJECT 18:INDIA’S NEXT GENERATION DESTROYER

Project 18 class destroyers will be equipped with advanced systems such as electromagnetic railguns, laser-based close-in weapon systems, advanced AESA and PESA radars, and active and passive array sonars.Kakinda Shipyard in collaboration with Mazgaon docks and L&T will lay keel for the destroyers that will have a displacement of 9000 tonnes. Meanwhile, DRDO in collaboration with Bharat Electronics will be designing the next generation of radar systems. The already developed Air and Missile defence system (AMDS) is being further worked upon. The AESA and PESA are to have extended ranges and possible merger into one multi-band radar. The destroyer will also have an X-band optronic mast detector radar.
For the project, DRDO in collaboration with Bharat Electronics will be designing next generation of radar systems to be incorporated into the planned 18-class. The already developed AMDS will be worked on further. The AESA and PESA radars will see extended ranges, and possible merger into one multi-band radar. The destroyer will also have an X-band optronic mast detector radar.
Project 18-class destroyers will be able to carry enough space for a single utility helicopter. The destroyers will be equipped with advanced UCAVs and UAVs, a possible compact version to be deployed on the destroyers of the EMALS is being worked out.
Project-18 class destroyers will have following armaments
Ballistic missiles and hypersonic Bramhos-II:

The next generation of point missile defense capable of launching Brahmos II will be worked upon.
The Electromagnetic Railgun:
Electromagnetic gun replacing the famed Otobreda of Indian Navy, will be supported with laser based CIWS, in works in LASTEC of DRDO. The warship will be deployed with 300 kW of laser system, capable of shooting down the aerial threats. The planned CIWS will draw inspiration from the present Phalnax CIWS and have its own radar. Indian Army has also expressed interests in the project, for it wishes to mount laser based systems on its combat vehicles. Additionally, the warship will also be equipped with small 100 kW laser based weapon systems with faster charging rates and continuous rate of application.
Laser-based CIWS
It is being developed by DRDO’s Laser Science and Technology Centre, Delhi will employ 300 kW of laser system enough to take out any aerial threat. It will have its own radar. In addition, the warship will have a smaller 100kW laser too.
How will this mega ship be powered?
It will use Integrated Electric Propulsion (IEP). L& T and DRDO will further work on DRDO’s already launched programe GATET for marine propulsion. The planned gas turbine will deliver power up to 36 MW, and destroyer will have 2 of these to deliver a power of 72 MW, in conjugation with 2 diesel generators of 10 MW each and 2 electric propulsion motors of 20 MW. Tata Advanced Systems Ltd. (TASL) which has designed platform, bridge, and Combat Management Systems in the past will work on Diesel generators and motors.
Project-18 aims to launch the lead ship in 2028. DRDO has spared 1.5 billion dollars for the programme from its annual budget.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Sounds quite ambitious but no concrete details are available.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I was reading about the P17 & P17A Frigates of Indian Navy on Wikipedia and observed some figures which I could not comprehend completely.

The P17 at 6200 Tons has 32 Cell VLS for BARAK-1, 24 Shtil-1 medium range missiles, 8 VLS for KLUB or BRAHMOS, 1 OTO Melara 76 mm gun and additional ASuW weapons. The P17A at 6670 Tons has 32 Cell VLS for BARAK-8 and 8 VLS for BRAHMOS and BAE MK45 Naval Gun along with ASuW weapons. ASuW weapons on P17A are similar to P17 except that P17A has Triple-Tube Torpedo launcher.

I was reading from following links:

P17: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shivalik-class_frigate
P17A: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilgiri-class_frigate_(2019)

So, I think that the space and weight taken by 24 Shtil-1 in P17 is probably available in P17A. I could not make out why so much of space is left unutilized unless something is not declared or planned to be included in future on P17A. Can any Naval Guru here please throw some light on it? What could have prompted this decision regarding Ship Armament!
Most of our warships are built bigger for greater endurance and are armed lightly for their size .

One reason is effectiveness of Barak 8 which makes both Barak 1 and shtil redundant even with less numbers.
Another is space for mid life upgrades. When they could be armed more heavily if necessary.
Another reason is wait for universal launchers who can carry both Sam and anti ship missile together.

Right now Indian Navy is pretty much unchallenged in indian ocean . Chinese can sent few ships but they have no systematic capability to take on India in Indian ocean.

USA has no territorial or navigational conflict with India and Pak navy is smaller than our coast guard.

As Chinese increase their presence in next decade you will see our vessels upgraded to be armed more heavily.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yeah I was wondering too, I can't fidn anything on it either. Also nothing on the SSN subs. Just feel the navy gets left behind so much even though they have proven time and time again their willingness to trust the Indian industry.
SSN program is approved and moving forward. First SSN might be inducted before 2030. 6 will be build in total .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles