Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Russia offers Indian Navy new submarine deal

Rahul Bedi, New Delhi - Jane's Defence Weekly

02 April 2020

The Indian Navy (IN) is believed to be examining a proposal by Russia's state-owned JSC United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC) to offer the service three refurbished Kilo-class submarines to augment its shortfall in diesel-electric submarines (SSKs).

Official sources told Jane's on 2 April that as part of the same offer, which was first made in December 2019, USC also proposed conducting major refit and life-certification (MRLC) work on three of the IN's Sindhughosh Kilo (Project 877EKM)-class submarines to extend their operational life by 10 years.

The entire package - dubbed 'three plus three' - has reportedly been priced at USD1.8-2 billion, and was expected to have been formalised at a meeting of the India-Russia Inter-Governmental Commission on Military and Military Technical Cooperation (IRIGC-M&MTC) that was scheduled to take place in Goa in March but was called off due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

https://www.janes.com/article/95299/russia-offers-indian-navy-new-submarine-deal

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Would be interesting to procure western diesel electric subs in large numbers. Even the soryu class from japan(if I am spelling it right) would be great but apparently hit a roadblock on that deal.

Call this greedy, but ideally, to hold superiority in the ior, the IN would need at least 40 diesel electrics out there.

Karthi

Country flag
China has begun construction of two advanced naval ships for Pakistan as its defence industry resumed production after over two months following the disruption caused by the coronavirus outbreak which brought the country to a standstill. The keel-laying ceremony for the second Type 054A/P missile frigate for the Pakistani Navy was held recently at the Hudong– Zhonghua Shipyard in China”s Shanghai city, Pakistan”s state-run APP news agency reported on Friday.

The Type 054A multi-purpose guided-missile frigate is the mainstay of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, with 30 vessels in commission. Pakistan signed the first contract of two Type 054A/P frigates, an export version of the Type 054A, in 2017 and purchased two more ships in June 2018, the report said. The steel cutting ceremony for the final two ships took place last November. All four frigates will be manufactured in China and delivered to the Pakistan Navy in 2021. A senior official of Pakistan Navy who attended the keel-laying ceremony said that despite the challenges, posed by COVID-19, the expertise of Hudong–Zhonghua Shipyard and Chinese contractors ensured the timely completion of this important milestone programme, it said.

The Pakistan Navy said that the 054A/P frigates are equipped with a modern surface, underwater and anti-aircraft weapons and sensors. Once built, these warships will become the most technologically advanced platforms of the Pakistani Navy, which will enhance its combat capability to meet future challenges and maintain peace, stability, and balance of power in the Indian Ocean, the report added.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
China has begun construction of two advanced naval ships for Pakistan as its defence industry resumed production after over two months following the disruption caused by the coronavirus outbreak which brought the country to a standstill. The keel-laying ceremony for the second Type 054A/P missile frigate for the Pakistani Navy was held recently at the Hudong– Zhonghua Shipyard in China”s Shanghai city, Pakistan”s state-run APP news agency reported on Friday.

The Type 054A multi-purpose guided-missile frigate is the mainstay of the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Navy, with 30 vessels in commission. Pakistan signed the first contract of two Type 054A/P frigates, an export version of the Type 054A, in 2017 and purchased two more ships in June 2018, the report said. The steel cutting ceremony for the final two ships took place last November. All four frigates will be manufactured in China and delivered to the Pakistan Navy in 2021. A senior official of Pakistan Navy who attended the keel-laying ceremony said that despite the challenges, posed by COVID-19, the expertise of Hudong–Zhonghua Shipyard and Chinese contractors ensured the timely completion of this important milestone programme, it said.

The Pakistan Navy said that the 054A/P frigates are equipped with a modern surface, underwater and anti-aircraft weapons and sensors. Once built, these warships will become the most technologically advanced platforms of the Pakistani Navy, which will enhance its combat capability to meet future challenges and maintain peace, stability, and balance of power in the Indian Ocean, the report added.
Their counter is already on the way!

Russia to Deliver 2 Guided-Missile Frigates to India by 2024

The Indian Navy will take delivery of two Project 1135.6P/M guided-missile frigates in the first half of 2024, according to the Russian defense industry

https://thediplomat.com/2020/02/russia-to-deliver-2-guided-missile-frigates-to-india-by-2024/

Two more will be made in India by Goa Shipyard Limited using ToT.

IndianHawk

Country flag
On the issue of submarines, MoD has replied with Phase 1 of conventional submarines for Navy - P75 to be completed by 2022. P75I induction to happen between 2027-32. Phase 2 - 12 conventional indigenous boats to be constructed.
I decided to take a break but couldn't stop observing something.

Previously plan was for 24 attack submarine including 6 SSN . Now that seem changed .

So total submarine we will have
6 p75- scorpion class
6 p75i - by 2027-32 .
12 indigenous ssk .
= 24 ssk

And 4 arihant class ssbn
+ 3 S5 class ssbn ( bigger )
==7 ssbn

And 6 SSN .

Total = 37 submarine including 7 ssbn and 6 ssk .

Am I right ? Somebody correct me.

abhay rajput

Country flag
Would be interesting to procure western diesel electric subs in large numbers. Even the soryu class from japan(if I am spelling it right) would be great but apparently hit a roadblock on that deal.

Call this greedy, but ideally, to hold superiority in the ior, the IN would need at least 40 diesel electrics out there.
Japanese aren't selling us there soryu class submarines .. they are the best submarines outh there. Germany is selling us downgraded version, Swedes too . French with scorpene. Russian ones make more sense to me. The capability isn't that huge. Not to mention kilo class are extremely quiet and will be cheaper .

south block

up your a**
Country flag

Sorry is not for sale and we seriously don't have money.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Sorry is not for sale and we seriously don't have money.
money shouldn’t be that much of a problem if it’s highly crucial. India can easily afford it. Especially if paks can afford those spanking new subs and corvettes. What do you say south block and abraj?

Snowcat

Country flag
So am I onethe only intrigued to know why japan didn't even bother to try to sell us the soryu class ? Has it got something to do with TOT ?

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
So am I onethe only intrigued to know why japan didn't even bother to try to sell us the soryu class ? Has it got something to do with TOT ?
That’s the reasoning that has the most consensus. It’s widely believed japan was willing to sell, but were not convinced the Indian Defence department can maintain classified data for long, and will fall into Chinese hands.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
That’s the reasoning that has the most consensus. It’s widely believed japan was willing to sell, but were not convinced the Indian Defence department can maintain classified data for long, and will fall into Chinese hands.
I think they are still in sell or not to sell mode.
Japan is just coming out in the market.
We must go for indigenous ones or already procured ones and start developing our own.

south block

up your a**
Country flag
money shouldn’t be that much of a problem if it’s highly crucial. India can easily afford it. Especially if paks can afford those spanking new subs and corvettes. What do you say south block and abraj?
money is a Problem period. ---- Pakistan has sugar daddies we don't.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
money is a Problem period. ---- Pakistan has sugar daddies we don't.
We have more money but our main focus is China. The govt. has a lend-lease and phased buy program.

For example air refuelling tankers may be leased for day to day use, refurbished Kilo Class submarines are being bought and the P 8I Maritime Patrol Aircraft are being bought in tranches.

Knowitall

Don't think that's the main reason the more probable reason is japan has just entered the weapons market.

They are not really effective in all this right now especially our make in India program. Compared to them we have many seasoned players like DCNS and the German shipyards.

That's why they are for now limiting themselves to gov to gov deals like the u-2 amphibious aircraft.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
On the issue of submarines, MoD has replied with Phase 1 of conventional submarines for Navy - P75 to be completed by 2022. P75I induction to happen between 2027-32. Phase 2 - 12 conventional indigenous boats to be constructed.
So a 5 years gap between P75 and P75I.... all to be reborn another time.... lost of skilled workers, of know how.... another indian mess.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
So a 5 years gap between P75 and P75I.... all to be reborn another time.... lost of skilled workers, of know how.... another indian mess.
Instead of running with their heads in asses and dicks in hands(dont try to visualize it,pretty graphic eh) they should simply go for more Scorpene class submarines.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Those are induction dates means manufacturing will start 4-5 year earlier . So not much gap in building them .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles