Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Prashant12

Country flag
Indian frigate of Russian design armed with supersonic BrahMos missiles

Supersonic BrahMos missiles are being installed on the lead frigate of project 11356 of the first troika of warships built in early 2000s by the Baltic Shipyard, Russian Co-Director of BrahMos Aerospace Alexander Maksichev told TASS.

Admiral Grigorivich frigate (Picture source: mil.ru)

"The Indian Navy began to overhaul and upgrade the Talwar lead frigate of project 11356 built by the Baltic Shipyard. The Club-N complex will be dismantled and replaced by BrahMos," he said.

"BrahMos Aerospace will supply a vertical 8-cell launcher and control equipment which will be integrated into the frigate armaments," he added.

"Club-N designed by Novator Bureau in Yekaterinburg will be replaced by BrahMos on all the three frigates of project 11356 of the first troika," Maksichev said.

The vertical launcher for eight BrahMos missiles has the same size as Club. "So, there will be no problems with its installation on the three Indian frigates," he added.

The Indian Navy operates six frigates of project 11356 built by the Baltic Shipyard in St. Petersburg (first troika) and Yantar Shipyard (second troika). The second troika is armed with supersonic BrahMos.

The four new frigates of project 11356M for the Indian Navy to be built by Yantar and Goa Shipyard will be armed with BrahMos.

https://www.navyrecognition.com/ind...n-armed-with-supersonic-brahmos-missiles.html

Vijyes

Mig29 may have 5t fuel capacity but its engines are gas guzzlers. They cannot even make a clean burn of their fuel that's why it smokes like a coal power plant smokestack. A Mig29 can be spotted miles away with naked eyes due to smoke trail.
MiG29K engines are efficient and doesn't waste fuel. So, gas guzzler is not correct. Smoke is another issue but it is being said that latest engine variant has reduced smoke.

Diesel is vastly inferior to nuke in AC. The only advantage of diesel is in cost of acquisition and decommissioning while nuke power plant is supremely cheaper to operate in between. In addition, because nuke powered AC does not have to store diesel fuel then it can store more aviation fuel for its aircraft compliment. There are many more benefits nukes have over diesel.
Nuke carrier has advantage in long range Operations. But short range operations have advantage for diesel.

Nuclear carrier is cheap to operate in peacetime but extremely difficult to repair in wartime. The war equipment is not for patrol operation but for fighting war. So, one must consider the fact that ships can get damaged and hence need repairs. If the reactor takes 2 months to be operational and take extremely skilled labour to repair, it will be extremely difficult in war time.

Nuclear carrier offers cheaper peace time operational cost but is extremely difficult to repair and hence there is the main drawback. What is the point of anything is the ship is not ready to fight when needed?

Diesel carrier is cheaper in construction as well as wartime repairs. This is a major advantage and can change the course of war.

bhramos

Country flag
INS SAGARDHWANI is oceanographic research ship designed & developed by DRDO for SAGAR MAITRI (Marine & Allied Interdisciplinary Training & Research Initiative) Mission provides close scientific working relationships between Indian Ocean RIM countries.

Knowitall

How good are the droniers and whether they need retirement and if yes what is the better alternative.

Vijyes

How good aee their surveillance system etc are they enough or can we have better options.
Dornier is a design of a plane which is simple to build and efficient to operate. One can install any sensor on it according to needs. Dornier plane itself has nothing to do with sensors and it is just a plane with 19 seats.

Tanmay

Country flag
Pretty much state of the art.

When it comes to the IN, appearances are CERTAINLY deceiving.

PS: Indo-Israeli voodoo.
Does it have an EO ball? Can only see a SAR type Radar underbelly. And is it based on new Digital Cockpit?

Knowitall

I wanted to know what are the future plans for the navy this thread has got pretty dull. I used to be a long time lurker due to me not getting the confirmation email.
I remember Mr binayak95 once taking about some of the future plans and ships of the Indian Navy. I wonder if you would sir like to share some information with us again as I cant find that anymore or any updates.
@binayak95

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I wanted to know what are the future plans for the navy this thread has got pretty dull. I used to be a long time lurker due to me not getting the confirmation email.
I remember Mr binayak95 once taking about some of the future plans and ships of the Indian Navy. I wonder if you would sir like to share some information with us again as I cant find that anymore or any updates.
@binayak95
Navy thread is slow, it takes years to build a boat. most of the planning is done atleast 10 years in advance,so everyone knows everything.. MARCOS are a secretive bunch, so we don't hear anything from them either..
wiki page is mostly correct wrt future plans..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_the_Indian_Navy

Knowitall

While it's true wiki page may have up to date info but surely there are some things we don't get updated about that's why I asked of any future plans we can know of. Of course if it's only seemed appropriate.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
While it's true wiki page may have up to date info but surely there are some things we don't get updated about that's why I asked of any future plans we can know of. Of course if it's only seemed appropriate.
here you go, it can't more official info than this, this is on indigenisation.
https://ddpmod.gov.in/sites/default/files/INIP (2015-2030).pdf

search for latest Long Term Integrated Perspective Plan LTIPP. Army and Navy have submitted it, Airforce is yet to submit if i am not wrong.

IndianHawk

Country flag
How good aee their surveillance system etc are they enough or can we have better options.
They have elta aesa radars other equipment is also just as modern. They are on par with latest western technology in that area.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Global Defence

New threads

Articles