Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Tanmay

Country flag
The
There is some hope: http://ficci.in/events/22716/ISP/R-ADM-TRIPATHI.pdf
According to this presentation, stabilization, barrel tech and miniaturisation (of what?) are the hurdles for indigenous gun systems.
How different are CIWS and SRGM barrels from howitzers? I imagine metallurgy-wise, not much would be different, especially for SRGM. Though with the 5000 rounds per minute of a CIWS, that could create major challenges. OTOH, stabilization of CIWS should be less of a concern than stabilization of SRGM.

At least they are thinking about indigenization of these systems.
The PDF mentions future requirements as
127 mm gun
And 30 mm naval gun

Does confirm problem with CRN then ?

Tanmay

Country flag
B/c we need atleast a million assault rifles.
Well then we field more active submarines than Germany which produces and sells subs but doesn't have any operational subs :p
We are probably amongst few navies which are expanding rather than the European navies which are say decreasing the no. Of platforms due to budget cuts.
The sheer number of OPVs and warships produced by us does merit an indegenous effort for naval guns.

Pandeyji

Country flag
Well then we field more active submarines than Germany which produces and sells subs but doesn't have any operational subs :p
We are probably amongst few navies which are expanding rather than the European navies which are say decreasing the no. Of platforms due to budget cuts.
The sheer number of OPVs and warships produced by us does merit an indegenous effort for naval guns.
And aren't we building a navy to dominate the entirety of the IOR and simultaneously project power into the near pacific?
Agree with both. But comparing a naval gun to assault rifles is wrong. Besides the most important part i.e. fire control is made by us as @binayak95 himself pointed.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
@aditya10r can u ask him anything about INS Vishal like is the design frozen yet and is there any time slot alloted
We have plenty of Time for Ins Vishal. I think once again Kochi shipyard will be selected for IAC2. After Vikrant rolls out of aquarium you will see work pace up.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
@binayak95 @Adioz @Bhumihar
Guys I don't know why I am getting a feeling that India is developing our own CATOBAR tech secretly. Because Ins Vikrant (R11) was CATO (Catapult Assisted Take off). It was scrapped and dismantled . If our planners and MOD are not dumb , then they must have sent a damn team to study the working and tech on that legendary warrior. Some points must have be taken and those must have been used to modify and develop Advanced version for IAC-2. What do you say?

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
@binayak95 @Adioz @Bhumihar
Guys I don't know why I am getting a feeling that India is developing our own CATOBAR tech secretly. Because Ins Vikrant (R11) was CATO (Catapult Assisted Take off). It was scrapped and dismantled . If our planners and MOD are not dumb , then they must have sent a damn team to study the working and tech on that legendary warrior. Some points must have be taken and those must have been used to modify and develop Advanced version for IAC-2. What do you say?
Nothing would make me happier, but if that was indeed the case, the Navy would not be so inclined to buy US EMALS. Also, I don't get why we would want to develop CATOBAR tech secretly. I mean, if we want to develop CATOBAR tech, we can surely do this overtly. We already test ICBMs and Hypersonic tech overtly.

I wonder if the MoD did indeed direct DRDO to draw some experience from the INS Vikrant (R11). The catapult was steam powered, so I don't know if the DRDO was even interested in that technology.

The real problem would be trying to get the EMALS to run on a conventional powered carrier. I believe the Chinese carried out some major research to realise this on their carriers.

Then which gun is on P 15B.....................
Four P 15B to be built........4 orders of 127mm SRGM. -_-

Edit: Oh wait, turns out even the Project 17A were slated to get 127mm SRGM.
source: Operational gaps handicap military on several fronts
It (Navy) asked the Manohar Parrikar-led defence acquisitions council (DAC) to quickly resolve the question of acquiring the main 127mm guns for 11 frontline warships.

The reason is that the 127mm Otomelara guns selected for the seven stealth frigates and four guided-missile destroyers

Last edited:

undeadmyrmidon

Nothing would make me happier, but if that was indeed the case, the Navy would not be so inclined to buy US EMALS. Also, I don't get why we would want to develop CATOBAR tech secretly. I mean, if we want to develop CATOBAR tech, we can surely do this overtly. We already test ICBMs and Hypersonic tech overtly.

I wonder if the MoD did indeed direct DRDO to draw some experience from the INS Vikrant (R11). The catapult was steam powered, so I don't know of the DRDO was even interested in that technology.

The real problem would be trying to get the EMALS to run on a conventional powered carrier. I believe the Chinese carried out some major research to realise this on their carriers.

P 15B ........4 orders. -_-
I know 4 orders but which gun 76 mm or 127 mm because I have no link that says the gun was 127 mm.
Is there any SIPRI inventory?

undeadmyrmidon

I wonder if the MoD did indeed direct DRDO to draw some experience from the INS Vikrant (R11). The catapult was steam powered, so I don't know if the DRDO was even interested in that technology.

There are NO confirmations till date for 127 mm. I fear cannibalised 76 mm guns from decommissioned Godavari class may be used till refit.

Tanmay

Country flag
Last edited:

Adioz

There are NO confirmations till date for 127 mm. I fear cannibalised 76 mm guns from decommissioned Godavari class may be used till refit.
God Forbid.

As of October 2016, DAC yet to clear anything. No news found after that.
We are FUBAR. Two P-15B hulls in the water and they have yet to clear the SRGM? I think MoD is going to push for changing whatever regulation hurdle that is stopping this purchase. I don't think the Navy is going to budge from the 127mm SRGM requirement. But given that BHEL already manufactures the 76mm, can it not simply make those and install them. We can initiate research in this area and later replace this 76mm with an indigenous 127mm. Might take a decade, but the import is going to take at least half as long as that.

undeadmyrmidon

God Forbid.

As of October 2016, DAC yet to clear anything. No news found after that.
We are FUBAR. Two P-15B hulls in the water and they have yet to clear the SRGM? I think MoD is going to push for changing whatever regulation hurdle that is stopping this purchase. I don't think the Navy is going to budge from the 127mm SRGM requirement. But given that BHEL already manufactures the 76mm, can it not simply make those and install them. We can initiate research in this area and later replace this 76mm with an indigenous 127mm. Might take a decade, but the import is going to take at least half as long as that.
Sonia made the oto melara thing radioactive due to corruption. 127 mm may be imported on the sly. BTW new navy chief is headstrong so no way he will budge on the 127 mm gun requirement. He basically told the DM to fuck off over objections to third carrier.

Adioz

We need to expedite indigenisation of these guns (SRGM and CIWS).
We have issues with:-
  • Gyrostabilization: Similar tech available in Arjun MBT turret stabilization, leverage the experience.
  • Barrel tech.: New arty guns coming out, some technological base available, leverage the experience.
  • Recoil management: Created similar systems for state-of-the-art towed artillery, leverage the experience.
  • Feed system: Study the existing system, how hard can it be?
DRDO needs to handle this research in conjunction with BHEL R&D division. With the kinds of tech we have made, this should not be so difficult. right?

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag

I mean if in case IN decided to go for catapult design rather than EMALS due to budget strains. And another thing what I understood is US will negotiate for EMALS only if F-35 is on table. If you agree with F-35 on table first you need to purchase 1980's F-16 and then negotiate above toys. India getting F-16 is doubt full . And F-35 is too costly for our dudes. So * F35 ko maro goli* and there goes EMALS.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles