Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Abdus Salem killed

Well if you compare against western platform no doubt the build quality is inferior. But looking in to our budgetary constraints, West fickleness to impose sanctions, our own tech deficit the investment in Russian platform is a decent hedge.
With regards to delays I think India is the last cou try that can go on chest thumping mode in that segment.
The western countries are only us uk and France they are the best

Anandhu Krishna

Who issued the threat

News quote
"Bomb sq at cls. Police says its nothing but they are checking it anyway"

swapcv

Country flag
What about china turkey and Pakistan this nexus need to be broken
from the late 70's, Russian SSN's were doing routine ops tracking Chinese SSN's in the ECS and gathering acoustic data. And these were patrols by older Sierra III class SSN's so one can imagine how a Sierra III managed to get in its "Baffles" shows how much noisier the Chinese SSN was as well, also, Western sources have routinely noticed that acoustic signature of Chinese subs are always the highest amongst their Russian and Western peers.

Sir pe tapla

Country flag
Very practical answer.
I do not know why some of us want to make bombastic claims about our indigenous capability thereby allowing others to question our credibility.

I want India to make the F22 equivalent, Ford aircraft carrier equivalent, Yasen/Virginia class SSN equivalent, the 20 Megaton Tsar Bomba equivalent etc.
All within the next two years.

I will be the happiest and others also if we achieve it. But in reality are all these technologies within our reach in the next couple of years.

Do we want to emulate the Pakistanis who make outlandish claims about their Super Duper Science and Technology capability. Like building an 5th generation fighter without even having designed and developed a basic trainer aircraft.

Let's face it. The Akula is an quite advanced SSN by our standards. How can we deride it when we are yet to achieve even 75% indigenisation on the Scorpene submarine. Have we developed an fully indigenous conventional submarine yet.

I and the nation want India to be able to achieve self sufficiency in all types of defence products. But since we are a young nation, we should give ourselves some time to master the various advanced technologies. So we need to be patient and work hard towards our goal.

If someone does not like the Russians it's OK. But do we have an alternative. Will the US share nuclear submarine technology with us?. If Yes, and the terms are liberal then we should build the latest contemporary SSN's with Washington's help.

To people who question our defence planners. Please get Washington to collaborate on SSBN's and SSN's and offer us the latest submarine nuclear reactors which last the lifetime of the submarine.

Let us try to maintain the quality of the discussion and not embarrass ourselves by very fan boyish claims.
Yes but unlike Pakistanis we have shown we are more than capable of developing sophisticated technology. Whether that be in the field of space, planes, ships , helicopters or our own missiles.

Sure submarines is a very different field but I think we can do it.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
It's disgusting we should build our own the Russian subs are made ages ago and are now mostly useless
Here we are talking about the Project 971 Akula class subs and not the Project 627 November class of subs, the West to this day fears the Akula class of subs due its low acoustic signature.
Project 75A to build 6 nuclear attack submarines is already underway but the first boat will take atleast 8-9 more years to be ready for deployment.
Till then the Indian Navy cannot afford to send its CBG for operational deployment without an SSN which is why these Akulas are needed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles