Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Knowitall

What's sad about it , its good
Beter buy them
Hugh price high maintainence high costs for refurbished parts outdated tech with limitations and strings attached.

If you ask me we are better of spending that money on our own submarine research which will yield us better results rather than buying a cold war era sub that is outdated for modern combat.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
Hugh price high maintainence high costs for refurbished parts outdated tech with limitations and strings attached.

If you ask me we are better of spending that money on our own submarine research which will yield us better results rather than buying a cold war era sub that is outdated for modern combat.
It's not about buying Russian outdated equipment, it is about making Russia happy again.
Russian orders in last few weeks after falling of Kabul -
  • AK-203 finalized
  • T-90 Modernization
  • Leasing SSN (Akula)
  • ONGC looking to buy Russian Vostok oil project
Probably more which missed my radar. Possible follow-up orders -
  • Mig-29s
  • Sprut Light Tank
  • Kamov Ka-226 light helicopter finalized
It's just business.
America under Biden has proved itself to be ultra-woke and the only thing they care about is gender pronouns and BLM thugs.

Knowitall

It's not about buying Russian outdated equipment, it is about making Russia happy again.
  • AK-203 finalized
  • T-90 Modernization
  • Leasing SSN (Akula)
  • Mig-29s
  • Sprut Light Tank
It's just business.
America under Biden has proved itself to be ultra-woke and the only thing they care about is gender pronouns and BLM thugs.
Will have to agree will you.

The fallout in Afghanistan and the subsequent denial of space to operate by our own ally in the region has come as a big shock to us.

Guess we really don't have a choice.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
It's disgusting we should build our own the Russian subs are made ages ago and are now mostly useless
This is not true. Akula-II subs are pretty good and outmatch any Chinese submarine actually.

If a sweet deal is thrown we should buy (instead of leasing them) 2-3 Akula subs from Russia, use them, and reverse-engineer the heck out of them thereafter.

Tridev123

Country flag
This is not true. Akula-II subs are pretty good and outmatch any Chinese submarine actually.

If a sweet deal is thrown we should buy (instead of leasing them) 2-3 Akula subs from Russia, use them, and reverse-engineer the heck out of them thereafter.
Very practical answer.
I do not know why some of us want to make bombastic claims about our indigenous capability thereby allowing others to question our credibility.

I want India to make the F22 equivalent, Ford aircraft carrier equivalent, Yasen/Virginia class SSN equivalent, the 20 Megaton Tsar Bomba equivalent etc.
All within the next two years.

I will be the happiest and others also if we achieve it. But in reality are all these technologies within our reach in the next couple of years.

Do we want to emulate the Pakistanis who make outlandish claims about their Super Duper Science and Technology capability. Like building an 5th generation fighter without even having designed and developed a basic trainer aircraft.

Let's face it. The Akula is an quite advanced SSN by our standards. How can we deride it when we are yet to achieve even 75% indigenisation on the Scorpene submarine. Have we developed an fully indigenous conventional submarine yet.

I and the nation want India to be able to achieve self sufficiency in all types of defence products. But since we are a young nation, we should give ourselves some time to master the various advanced technologies. So we need to be patient and work hard towards our goal.

If someone does not like the Russians it's OK. But do we have an alternative. Will the US share nuclear submarine technology with us?. If Yes, and the terms are liberal then we should build the latest contemporary SSN's with Washington's help.

To people who question our defence planners. Please get Washington to collaborate on SSBN's and SSN's and offer us the latest submarine nuclear reactors which last the lifetime of the submarine.

Let us try to maintain the quality of the discussion and not embarrass ourselves by very fan boyish claims.

sorcerer

Country flag

JBH22

The money we give russia can be used in our own industries we made a missile tracking ship we can make more nuke subs
Good luck believing that. For years, we tried to build bloody 6 scorpene submarines. Now when so called production facility and tech absorption is in place, instead of increasing order, lo and behold navy wants new sub.
Russian equipment for their price gives you decent price/performance ratio. No other states will you nuclear submarine, the pivot to Western Camp was just an illusion which luckily got busted after afghan fiasco

Abdus Salem killed

Good luck believing that. For years, we tried to build bloody 6 scorpene submarines. Now when so called production facility and tech absorption is in place, instead of increasing order, lo and behold navy wants new sub.
Russian equipment for their price gives you decent price/performance ratio. No other states will you nuclear submarine, the pivot to Western Camp was just an illusion which luckily got busted after afghan fiasco
What about china turkey and Pakistan this nexus need to be broken

JBH22

What about china turkey and Pakistan this nexus need to be broken
This nexus existed long before you and I were born. If news report are to be believed, then back in 1965 war Turkey gave ammo and arms to Pakistan. Well for China we all know it feeds its 2 mad dogs viz North Korea and Pakistan. Indian security establishment have done and will continue doing a good job for securing us.
If we survived the turbulent times of 80s and early 90s, we all agree that we are in a much better position now :)

Abhay Rajput 02

• AK-203 finalized
  • T-90 Modernization
  • Leasing SSN (Akula)
  • Mig-29s
  • Sprut Light Tank
It's just business.
I think it has more to do with nuclear reactor. Rest others like ak203, t90 upgrade, ka226, mig29 are going on for years. Alas there Akula subs are pretty decent but leasing time should be extended to at least 30 years. We signed 3 billion dollars deal in 2019 for old nuke submarine, we can probably built new submarine in less than 3 billion dollars , but as I said it has to do with tot.

Abdus Salem killed

This nexus existed long before you and I were born. If news report are to be believed, then back in 1965 war Turkey gave ammo and arms to Pakistan. Well for China we all know it feeds its 2 mad dogs viz North Korea and Pakistan. Indian security establishment have done and will continue doing a good job for securing us.
If we survived the turbulent times of 80s and early 90s, we all agree that we are in a much better position now :)
I mean tech only china has tech we should try to reverse engineer as much as possible now

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Russian equipment for their price gives you decent price/performance ratio. No other states will you nuclear submarine, the pivot to Western Camp was just
Russian equipment is famous for being overpriced and of inferior build quality what I've learnt so far from this forum and my own military circles. Russians always stretch projects and deals to mess them.

Plus point is that they are only one provider.

JBH22

Russian equipment is famous for being overpriced and of inferior build quality what I've learnt so far from this forum and my own military circles. Russians always stretch projects and deals to mess them.

Plus point is that they are only one provider.
Well if you compare against western platform no doubt the build quality is inferior. But looking in to our budgetary constraints, West fickleness to impose sanctions, our own tech deficit the investment in Russian platform is a decent hedge.
With regards to delays I think India is the last cou try that can go on chest thumping mode in that segment.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles