Indian Naval Aviation

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
This plane is confirmed to get the Uttam AESA radar, HAL Mission computer, Astra missile, Litening pod, Griffin LGB, and BEL SDR. I hope that it gets the radar planned for the MWF, along with its IRST (if developed on time for the upgrade), D-29 EW suite, Brahmos NG, and all other planned weapons and sensors from the MWF program.
Hopefully what you say is true about the Integration of all the Components that you have listed. I just hope so.

gslv markIII

Country flag
its just a base right?what is so game-changing about it?
Our biggest upcoming naval base getting it's own NAS, which I believe can host P8Is- which means IN can operate freely without being constrained by civilian flights at Dabolim.

@abingdonboy is that enough runway length for a P8I?

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Country flag
Our biggest upcoming naval base getting it's own NAS, which I believe can host P8Is- which means IN can operate freely without being constrained by civilian flights at Dabolim.

Of course! Why would it not have enough length for smooth operations (Landing and Take-off) by P-8Is?

P-8Is are already actively stationed at INS Hansa (Dabolim Airport) and this Airport has a runway of length 11,345 feet (3,458 meters).

According to Wikipedia and some sources, the newly proposed AS at Karwar will have a Runway with length in access of 3000 Meters (3kms+).

So I would say that P-8Is won't face any issues Operating here.

And lastly, IN is not foolish that they will be build a Naval base which cannot accommodate one of their best assets in it.

gslv markIII

Country flag
Of course! Why would it not have enough length for smooth operations (Landing and Take-off) by P-8Is?

P-8Is are already actively stationed at INS Hansa (Dabolim Airport) and this Airport has a runway of length 11,345 feet (3,458 meters).

According to Wikipedia and some sources, the newly proposed AS at Karwar will have a Runway with length in access of 3000 Meters (3kms+).

So I would say that P-8Is won't face any issues Operating here.

And lastly, IN is not foolish that they will be build a Naval base which cannot accommodate one of their best assets in it.
The older RFI called for a 2000 metre runway, though there were discussions with the state government for a runway extension (and a civil enclave)

Let's see what happens.

Super Flanker

Country flag
The older RFI called for a 2000 metre runway, though there were discussions with the state government for a runway extension (and a civil enclave)

Let's see what happens.
This does not matter, what I am talking about is suitability of the runway for Operation of P-8I which AFAIK will definitely be possible without any issues.

The new naval station at Karwar is being touted to be the largest Naval base in Asia and I do not think that IN is foolish that they will be build a Naval base which cannot accommodate one of their best assets in it (In this case P8I)

archie

Country flag

Dabolim will become a dedicated base when the new airport is built for Goa .. would it not.. Still we need more bases and more aircraft Current numbers are just not enough.

Starlight

Country flag
I believe we need a sister ship for the Vikrant which can be built in 5-6 years as stated by CSL. There is no need for a 10 year delay to build a higher tonnage carrier as the IOR isn't as clam as it was 15 years ago, and even with foreign naval assistance we must have have more then 2 asap. As for lhd/lpd requirements, the Marine F-35s are a far option but doable for air support in our area of operations. I have faith they start the proceedings to buy and or build the lpds/lhds to bolster the carrier battle groups we currently have simply to counter the fact of invasive naval tactics of the so called non friendly navies.

Last edited:

Blademaster

I believe we need a sister ship for the Vikrant which can be built in 5-6 years as stated by CSL. There is no need for a 10 year delay to build a higher tonnage carrier as the IOR isn't as clam as it was 15 years ago, and even with foreign naval assistance we must have have more then 2 asap. As for lhd/lpd requirements, the Marine F-35s are a far option but doable for air support in our area of operations. I have faith they start the proceedings to buy and or build the lpds/lhds to bolster the carrier battle groups we currently have simply to counter the fact of invasive naval tactics of the so called non friendly navies.
The IN does not want another IAC-1. They want a 65k ton carrier with a catapult. This happened after the testing with N-LCA and realized that they cannot get any meaningful payload and range with ski-jump from MiG-29Ks or N-LCAs. They are pushing for the IAC-2 which is a 65k ton carrier with catapults.

F-18E/Fs and Rafales are only marginally better. To get another IAC-1 is a waste of money and time in their opinion. They have done the research. They tried it with Vicky and now realized even before IAC-1 was completed. They only did the IAC-1 because to get to 65k ton carrier, you have to start small and build your way up to acquire the necessary expertise and skills to build a capable 65k ton carrier.

Otherwise the cost of the IAC-1 does not justify the cost because it does not provide the necessary combat range and power and you would be better off with more submarines, P-8Is, refueling tankers, and more land based fighter planes optimized for maritime roles.

Starlight

Country flag
The IN does not want another IAC-1. They want a 65k ton carrier with a catapult. This happened after the testing with N-LCA and realized that they cannot get any meaningful payload and range with ski-jump from MiG-29Ks or N-LCAs. They are pushing for the IAC-2 which is a 65k ton carrier with catapults.

F-18E/Fs and Rafales are only marginally better. To get another IAC-1 is a waste of money and time in their opinion. They have done the research. They tried it with Vicky and now realized even before IAC-1 was completed. They only did the IAC-1 because to get to 65k ton carrier, you have to start small and build your way up to acquire the necessary expertise and skills to build a capable 65k ton carrier.

Otherwise the cost of the IAC-1 does not justify the cost because it does not provide the necessary combat range and power and you would be better off with more submarines, P-8Is, refueling tankers, and more land based fighter planes optimized for maritime roles.
Agreed. Is there a possibility of converting the Vikrant and a sister ship to a two or three cat EMALS nuclear carrier in the near future? They did convert the old vikrant from a cat to a stobar previously. This might bring down cost and we may have more medium sized carriers.

Blademaster

Agreed. Is there a possibility of converting the Vikrant and a sister ship to a two or three cat EMALS nuclear carrier in the near future? They did convert the old vikrant from a cat to a stobar previously. This might bring down cost and we may have more medium sized carriers.
I do not think so. It requires a serious reworking of the internals of Vikrant. You might as well build a new ship and convert Vikrant to a helo carrier.

Blademaster

I want to add that it looks like China has reached the same conclusion as the IN. They realized that a carrier with a ski jump will not add meaningful payload or range. A carrier of over 65k ton with a catapult is the way to go. Anything less requires a VTOL plane which is a harrier which has gone out of production or F-35B which US will only grant to certain nations and is very expensive as hell. It costs $150M apiece and cost $35k - $40k an hour.

SKC

Country flag
I want to add that it looks like China has reached the same conclusion as the IN. They realized that a carrier with a ski jump will not add meaningful payload or range. A carrier of over 65k ton with a catapult is the way to go. Anything less requires a VTOL plane which is a harrier which has gone out of production or F-35B which US will only grant to certain nations and is very expensive as hell. It costs $150M apiece and cost $35k - $40k an hour.
Agreed but the work for IAC-2 >65K will not start any time soon. Even finalizing and ordering might take till end of this decade and then starting construction to end of construction anywhere from 10-15 yrs.

Second IAC-1 class carrier will comes much earlier and having 2 is anyday better than having only 1.

Blademaster

Agreed but the work for IAC-2 >65K will not start any time soon. Even finalizing and ordering might take till end of this decade and then starting construction to end of construction anywhere from 10-15 yrs.

Second IAC-1 class carrier will comes much earlier and having 2 is anyday better than having only 1.
i thought so too but IN feels differently. They’d rather save the money for IAC-2 and make do with what we have.

SKC

Country flag
i thought so too but IN feels differently. They’d rather save the money for IAC-2 and make do with what we have.
Then we will have to wait for at-least 20 yrs. I can say with Guarantee that 3rd AC wont come before 2040!

Blademaster

Then we will have to wait for at-least 20 yrs. I can say with Guarantee that 3rd AC wont come before 2040!
:sad: Looks like that way. Thinking more about it I understand their attitude but I feel that they are missing the bigger picture. We need to maintain the building skills of an aircraft carrier if we do not get another order. We can always convert the IAC-1 types into helo carriers once we get the IAC-2 type online.

Reactions: SKC

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles