Indian Naval Aviation

ladder

Country flag
Successful first test flight of first Navy Hawk AJT.
On June 11, 2013, Aircraft Division, Bangalore achieved another milestone in production of Hawk AJT with successful first test flight of first Navy Hawk AJT. The aircraft with tail number IN001 took off at 14:04 hrs and landed at 15:09 hrs thereby recording a successful first flight of 1:05 hrs.
As per the Hawk AJT contract between HAL and Indian Navy, a total of 17 Hawk aircraft are to be delivered to the Indian Navy. Five of these are required to be delivered during FY2013-14 with the first aircraft scheduled for delivery in July 2013. Aircraft Division is very much on target to meet delivery requirements of the Indian Navy.
http://www.hal-india.com/HAL-CONNECT/HAL-CONNECT-ISSUE-75.pdf

Above all that, the Hawk itself is a good A2G combat platform....a naval hawk on IAC-1 or the Vikramaditya, would no doubt augment the air capabilities.

Crusader53

I don't think the Indian Naval Hawks are Carrier Capable like there USN Counterparts.

Decklander

IN Hawks are same as IAF Hawks. N-LC A will be dedicated Carrier based training sqn as part of INAS-551B Flt.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
4 x NLCA have training twin seater, But that does not meant the rest 4 are also for training they are combat fit fighters..

N-LC A will be dedicated Carrier based training sqn as part of INAS-551B Flt.

Decklander

4 x NLCA have training twin seater, But that does not meant the rest 4 are also for training they are combat fit fighters..
A combat training sqn always has twin seaters and single seat fighters. Compared to normal operational sqns they have more trainers than fighters or 50-50. Even an operational sqn has 2-3 trainer aircraft in them. During peace time the dedicated training sqn does the job of training only but during war, they operate to give recency training to those pilots who have been posted to non flying jobs (Deskjobs/file pushers).

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
IAF does not have this before nor IN with Harriers ?

A combat training sqn always has twin seaters and single seat fighters. Compared to normal operational sqns they have more trainers than fighters or 50-50. Even an operational sqn has 2-3 trainer aircraft in them. During peace time the dedicated training sqn does the job of training only but during war, they operate to give recency training to those pilots who have been posted to non flying jobs (Deskjobs/file pushers).

Decklander

IAF does not have this before nor IN with Harriers ?
MOFTU or Mig Operational Flying Training Unit was one such unit and so was HOFTU-Hunter Operational Flying Training Unit which provided training to Hunter and Ajeet pilots. Their job has now been taken over by dedicated sqns with Hunters being replced by Mig-21s. IN had INAS-551B flt comprising three trainers and 3 fighters for training pilots. I did my SH conversion as part of INAS-551B flt. this flt is now renamed as INAS-552 Braves.
When a war starts, the sqns go to war with pilots posted in it. within 5-7 days we bring on line these file pushers who than join the strength of these sqns and the sqns get routinely withdrawn from war for R&R to be replaced by newer sqns with non fatigued crew.

Last edited:

TrueSpirit

MOFTU or Mig Operational Flying Training Unit was one such unit and so was HOFTU-Hunter Operational Flying Training Unit which provided training to Hunter and Ajeet pilots. Their job has now been taken over by dedicated sqns with Hunters being replced by Mig-21s. IN had INAS-551B flt comprising three trainers and 3 fighters for training pilots. I did my SH conversion as part of INAS-551B flt. this flt is now renamed as INAS-552 Braves.
When a war starts, the sqns go to war with pilots posted in it. within 5-7 days we bring on line these file pushers who than join the strength of these sqns and the sqns get routinely withdrawn from war for R&R to be replaced by newer sqns with non fatigued crew.
Sir, what is SH conversion ?

ladder

Country flag
Why does Navy want to base Hawk on the eastern coast?( Vishakapatnam/ INS Rajali?)

Isn't the training command based at Goa?

Indian Naval Air Commander Outlines Expansion Plan | Aviation International News
The aircraft, manufactured under license by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will be delivered to INS Dega at Visakhapatnam and will eventually take over the role of the eight Kiran Mk II training aircraft operated by the Indian Navy at INS Hansa at Goa.
Navy to get 1st Hawk AJTs in July | StratPost

So, Navy plans to place it's training command at INS Dega Vishakapatnam.

mikhail

Country flag
Conversion course to fly Sea Harrier Fighter Jets.
Sir,while i was surfing other defence forums i came across an ex-I.N. pilot like you who was claiming that the I.N. will surely order another batch of around 45 Mig-29K from Russia in the near future and the funny thing is that he was quite confident about this information and claimed that he has got it from an inside source in I.N.so can you verify this information sir?

Decklander

Sir,while i was surfing other defence forums i came across an ex-I.N. pilot like you who was claiming that the I.N. will surely order another batch of around 45 Mig-29K from Russia in the near future and the funny thing is that he was quite confident about this information and claimed that he has got it from an inside source in I.N.so can you verify this information sir?
It is common knowledge that IN plans to have three ac carriers. Gorshkov will be able to carry 30-40 ac, IAC-1 40-50 and IAC-2 50-60 during war time. So if we have only two operational at any given time, we need over 80 ac to fly from these carriers. full sqn compliment of 24 ac is never available for deployment as some of them may be under routine maintenance. So IAC-1 and Gorshkov between them will need four sqns to have full war compliment. IN had raised a reqt for 90 fighters to operate from Gorshkov and IAC-1 but that was before Rafale appeared on the scene. Now we might stay put with just 45 MIG-29Ks and rest all may be Rafale-M as they are also STOBAR capable. So they will be able to operate from all three carriers i.e. Gorshkov & IAC-1 (STOBAR) and IAC-2 (CATOBAR). IN plans to have a total of five fighter sqns by 2022 when IAC-2 becomes operational.

I posted it on that forum..

Articles