Indian National Rupee Now Has An International Currency Symbol

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
The Government of India wants your help. It has invited the public to suggest a symbol for the Rupee. Just as the Dollar is universally denoted by $‚ the government thinks the Rupee should also have its own unique symbol that captures a sense of India’s history and culture.Listed below are 19 suggestions from Our team of designers. Please vote for the one you find best. Our Design Team will present all these symbols ‚ along with the Our Design Team viewers’ preference‚ to the Ministry of Finance . And‚ if you don t like these and have a symbol of your own to offer, mail it to us at [email protected] So hone your design skills and choose the right symbol for the Rupee.

For voting go here ..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/rupeesurvey.cms

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I quite liked the second one in that link

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
I voted for 3rd last in second row, which looks like 'ra' in devanagari.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yes but as a symbol second one looks neat and professional. Would make more sense if we come to know the reason behind each design

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Three that I cooked up...

I ought to get full marks (thanks) for effort.... :2guns::2guns::2guns:

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Voted for the second one.

NI4NI

Country flag
Does anyone know if the Rupee symbol has been selected. It was supposed to be announced at the end of Mar, 2010.

bhramos

Country flag
atpresent your given link is not working,,,,,,,,,,
please re check it.

NI4NI

Country flag
I don't see the logic of using the letter R in the design. It wouldn't make it much different than the current symbol.

The best and most recognizable symbol out there is the $ sign. I hope the rupee symbol will be just as good.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
sorry is this related or not, but i am posting.........

I like the first one, kind of reminds me a registered trademark. Made in India... no Chinese counterfeit allowed.

AkhandBharat

Love the second last row, second last column one. Authentic Bharatiya Rupaiya Symbol!

Zaki

Country flag
the link is not working for me....... good step by India - i would definitely want to see a symbol for Pakistani rupees as well

shotgunner

I like the first one, kind of reminds me a registered trademark. Made in India... no Chinese counterfeit allowed.
I like that too. BTW, don't worry about the Chinese counterfeit, cos nothing is proprietary to be counterfeited, except the slum which I will say thanks and no thanks.

youngindian

Country flag
Cabinet to clear design for rupee symbol today

Posted: Thursday, Jun 24, 2010

New Delhi: The Indian rupee is likely to get its own unique symbol on Thursday, with the Union Cabinet set to approve the final design. With this, the rupee will join the elite league of global currencies like US dollar ($), British pound sterling (£), euro and Japanese yen (¥) which have their unique symbols.

The shortlisted design apparently plays on the Hindi letter 'R' with a double-slash. The FE designers have conceptualised the design here.

The government has already shortlisted five entries after a pan-India open contest which was advertised by the finance ministry in February 2009. According to the terms of this contest, the winning design will become the property of the government of India and the winner will have to surrender the design copyright to in lieu of Rs 2.5 lakh.

According to design experts, formulating a unique currency symbol is extremely difficult, made tougher by the requirement that it must be adaptable to computer keyboards. The design will also have to be incorporated in currency notes, which would mean asking printers abroad where the currency is printed to make large-scale investments.

"Russia too wanted a unique symbol for its currency in the 1990s. It is still looking for a symbol to represent the rouble. Designing new symbols involves rigorous testing as the symbol would be used across all technical applications apart from widespread usage on the Web, mobile phones and banners," a designer at a leading ad agency told FE.

The government decided to have a unique symbol for the Indian rupee as its abbreviated form (Rs) is also represented by the currencies of Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. Last year, the finance minister Pranab Mukherjee had made this announcement in his budget speech.

"In the ensuing year, we intend to formalise a symbol for the Indian rupee, which reflects and captures the Indian ethos and culture," Mukherjee had said then.

http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Cabinet-to-clear-design-for-rupee-symbol-today/637748/

plugwater

Indian rupee to get a new symbol

The Indian rupee is all set to get its own unique symbol, joining the club of other international currencies, such as, dollar, pound sterling, euro and the yen as currencies with an identity that is recognisable worldwide.

The Cabinet will decide on the matter on Thursday. A symbol reflecting the Hindi alphabet 'R' is likely to be approved.

Five designs had been shortlisted by the government after an all-India contest. These signs are easy to write and are specially designed to appeal to Indian and international community.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Rupee-to-get-a-new-symbol/H1-Article1-562458.aspx

Five shortlisted designs are

My choice is fourth symbol

Global Defence

New threads

Articles