Indian MBRLS Pinaka Thread

Skdas

I'm sure it'll be enough to change the geography of the local area ... I personally think rockets are under rated in the age of missiles.. The sheer amount of damage a single battalion can do with 50 kg fragmented type warhead is literally breath taking..
More than the thermobaric WH, a sensor fused weapon dispersal type WH would make sense. With that accurate CEP, I guess 4~8 mine-ets would do it for an armour piece.

Noob Question: For a set azimuth and elevation of the launcher, can these guided Pinaka targeted to specific ground targets or are they just lobbed in the general direction ?

Enquirer

10 salvos still equal about around 500 crore... Dont want to annoy anybody with nitpicking.. Just felt it requires some explanation..
The 200 crore figures for a regiment of launchers+command posts looks very suspicious!
That number roughly leads to $140K per vehicle - this maybe true for the chassis of the truck (contract received by TataMotors), but without any launching mechanism or the actual command post electronics!! Maybe these are being done by a different company (L&T/TataSED/BEL?)

The BIG cost is actually in the military specific customization. I wouldn't be surprised if each launcher actually costs $300K-$500K!!

Further, I wanted to say 10 replenishment of all ALL vehicles (launchers, loaders, replenishment) from storage! 10 firing salvos would be the barest minimum in 1 day.
I had read somewhere that the total projected requirement for Pinaka rockets at 200,000!

Last edited:

Advaidhya Tiwari

Scaling will reduce costs greatly. I don't think India will need to pay in 3-4 crores per launcher

The 200 crore figures for a regiment of launchers+command posts looks very suspicious!
That number roughly leads to $140K per vehicle - this maybe true for the chassis of the truck (contract received by TataMotors), but without any launching mechanism or the actual command post electronics!! Maybe these are being done by a different company (L&T/TataSED/BEL?)

The BIG cost is actually in the military specific customization. I wouldn't be surprised if each launcher actually costs $300K-$500K!!

Further, I wanted to say 10 replenishment of all ALL vehicles (launchers, loaders, replenishment) from storage! 10 firing salvos would be the barest minimum in 1 day.
I had read somewhere that the total projected requirement for Pinaka rockets at 200,000!

Enquirer

Scaling will reduce costs greatly. I don't think India will need to pay in 3-4 crores per launcher
Costs reduce when large orders panning 5-10 years is received.
When IA orders in spurts of 1 or 2 regiments at a time, the price will remain the same (even though in the long run a tonne of arsenal is accumulated) - this is especially true with all private companies.

HAL which tries to behave as a private company has similar pricing problem!

Show me an example when the price has gone down over the years!! On the contrary price is allowed to go up (per contract) for inflation! Su-30MKI price too has inflated!

shankyz

Country flag
The Pinaka system: A formidable addition to India’s weapon systems

The Pinaka is a complete system, with a single Pinaka battery comprising six launcher vehicles, each with 12 rockets; six loader-replenishment vehicles; three replenishment vehicles; two Command Post vehicles with a fire control computer and a DIGICORA radar. Each Pinaka regiment, in turn, comprises three batteries plus reserves and the first regiment was raised in February 2000.

In an important boost to the private sector production of defence equipment on the 29 March 2006, the Indian Army awarded Tata Power SED and Larsen & Toubro’s Heavy Engineering Division, to 40 Pinaka MBRLs each – thus equipping two regiments with Pinaka systems.

These were followed by additional orders for four more regiments in two batches. On 29 October 2015, the Defence Acquisition Council chaired by the Defence Minister of India, cleared the purchase of two more Pinaka regiments and in 2016 the Cabinet Committee on Security(CCS) confirmed this purchase of two additional Pinaka regiments. In addition to these orders, and to supplement the earlier 4 regiments, an order for additional six regiments was cleared by the Defence Acquisition Council on 7 November 2016, thus making for an eventual total of ten regiments to be in Indian army service by 2022, with possibly a dozen more regiments to follow.

The Pinaka Rocket

Each Pinaka Mk.1 rocket is capable of carrying a 100kg payload to a range of 40km. Equipped with six, twelve rocket launchers, a single Pinaka battery can neutralise a surface area of 700m x 500m. In its basic form, the system has a circular error probability (CEP) of one to two per cent of range.

Besides a monolithic HE warhead, the rockets can be fitted with a variety of warheads including pre-fragmented high explosive, anti-tank bomblet, anti-tank minelet warhead, anti-personnel mines plus incendiary practice and pilot shot. These dramatically enhance the rocket’s lethality with the pre-fragmented warhead delivering 25% to 30% more destructive power than the basic HE warhead. Using an HMX-based composition, then anti-tank bomblets / minelets are able to achieve 150mm armour penetration, making the Pinaka quite useful against armour.

The Pinaka is combined with the Sagem 30 artillery pointing navigation system to improve its efficacy.

The Pinaka Mk.2

Work on an extended range Pinaka, fitted with a guidance system in 2013. This uses a new guided rocket with an Israeli designed Trajectory Control System (TCS) to improve its accuracy. These rockets were tested to a range of 65km in 2013 and have now evolved into a 90km range system. It is believed that a 120km range rocket is being contemplated.

The Significance of the Pinaka

While the Pinaka is a formidable weapon system in itself, the real significance lies in the fact that its new incarnation represents one of the few examples of an evolutionary process being followed with an indigenous Indian weapon system.

For far too often, Indian systems have been neglected or not further developed in favour of an imported system of apparently better performance.

With the Pinaka, India seems to have broken with this pattern and has moved towards an evolutionary path in weapons development. This, if used on all indigenously developed systems, augurs well for the future as it enables a combination of technological improvements and user feedback to be incorporated periodically.

https://www.financialexpress.com/de...ble-addition-in-indias-weapon-system/1517626/

G10

Country flag
What is CEP of guided pinaka? 1-2% of range i guess is unguided pinaka.

porky_kicker

Country flag
Guidance is very important because you can do with few rockets instead of large numbers of rockets you need to fire. One regiment can deliver a salvevof 72 rockets at 90 km with high precision and that is very important. You can wipe out huge area with a single strok.
Yes
In military terminology Pinaka is a area saturation weapon system , and when the guided rounds are used , it turns into a precision counterforce weapon system.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Yes
In military terminology Pinaka is a area saturation weapon system , and when the guided rounds are used , it turns into a precision counterforce weapon system.
Bhai....u r my fav...
Such a knowledgeble person you are...

My question.....is hal going to shelve 1000 kg in tejas

Last time @Nextoo7 bro said that hal is trying to shelve weight of lch too...do u hv any info

abingdonboy

Country flag
Pinaka goes from strength to strength. What a devastating asset it will be, need to make sure massive orders are given, tube arty is all well and good but MRLS will be another level of devastation, this is a true area clearing weapon.

Skdas

Pinaka goes from strength to strength. What a devastating asset it will be, need to make sure massive orders are given, tube arty is all well and good but MRLS will be another level of devastation, this is a true area clearing weapon.
Isn't the DRDO team already in Rajasthan, testing MK2 ? Why don't we just accelerate user testing on real assets ?

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
Yup in other words ,it now calls pakis tactical nuke bluff ,pralay BM and pinaka guided will keep the strike force above against the enemy in firepower for field operations

porky_kicker

Country flag
Bhai....u r my fav...
Such a knowledgeble person you are...

My question.....is hal going to shelve 1000 kg in tejas

Last time @Nextoo7 bro said that hal is trying to shelve weight of lch too...do u hv any info
On the contrary I am a noob

Only a person who works in that sector can claim to be knowledgeable

Anyways I have no idea regarding the status of weight reduction by 1 ton in LCA . HAL has not released any info regarding the same recently. Let's wait and see.

Regarding LCH yes there will be weight reduction before the final production standard LCH design is fixed. Weight will be progressively reduced starting from pre production models.

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag

Anyways I have no idea regarding the status of weight reduction by 1 ton in LCA . HAL has not released any info regarding the same recently. Let's wait and see.

Regarding LCH yes there will be weight reduction before the final production standard LCH design is fixed. Weight will be progressively reduced starting from pre production models.
Bhai.....will we see quad luncher in lch...like we see in apache....in future

porky_kicker

Country flag
Bhai.....will we see quad luncher in lch...like we see in apache....in future
Dual or quad launcher does it matter ?
Is it a cat walk or war ?

What matters is a optimised payload intune with the onboard sensors and within the optimal capabilities of the platform to ensure 100% kill probability.

ATGMs don't come cheap , and all ATGMs are not expended during a mission , it is fired only when a kill is guaranteed via the onboard sensors and FCS.

what happens when a helicopter on route to mission with16 ATGM comes under attack ?

The helicopter will need to dump all it's weapons load inorder to lighten itself and do escape maneuvers. And then you end up losing all 16 ATGMs uselessly.

A helicopter with 8 ATGM even if it manages to kill 2 MBTs with 2 ATGMs in a single mission is a job well done.

Let's not get influenced by Hollywood and marketing tactics by international OEMs

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag

LCH has already got IOC and is in LSP

Don’t see the need for a 20% weight reduction- that’s insane. The performance of this little
Beast are already very respectable and she’s able
To operate far beyond typical parameters of similar class helos.

Besides in the long term the more powerful HSTE-1200s are coming....

Articles