Indian Jaguar Upgrade

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
I think better to order more Su-30 for DPSA role rather than re-engining Jaguars. Radar & Avionic upgrade may be justified but new Honeywell engines seems like a solution looking for a problem.
The Jaguar is a bomber, something the Su-30 is not particularly good at. If you were replacing Jaguars you would do it with Rafale.

Sancho

Did you just call the Jag a useless aircraft in Modern Warfare? Wow, mate. Its the best DPSA in service at the moment. The Jaguar performed brilliantly in RAF service in Operation Desert Storm, so do some reading first before calling it useless.
Just read your own words to understand how useless it is! You are talking about a fighter that was used in a war decades ago, against an inferior enemy, with overwhelming allied forces, that is phased out in the mean time from all it's operators, leaving IAF alone with them, that has no meaningful modern weaponry, especially for stand off strikes and SEAD, that is a single role fighter, with minimal self defence capability..., so neither comparable to the high threat Indian environment, nor capable for modern air warfare.

And no it's not the best deep strike fighter for IAF, since the MKI has longer range and better weapon capabilities than the Jags, just as the M2K and Rafale are better in strikes and most importantly the nuclear role too!

Last edited:

Sancho

if LCA is basic strike fighter then what about south-Korean fa50
First of all, FA50 is a light attack fighter and has some limited strike capabilities too. Secondly, the point was that LCA IOC doesn't have any A2A capabilities, without having the gun and BVR missiles integrated => therfore is just a strike fighter so far similar to the Jag.

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
First of all, FA50 is a light attack fighter and has some limited strike capabilities too. Secondly, the point was that LCA IOC doesn't have any A2A capabilities, without having the gun and BVR missiles integrated => therfore is just a strike fighter so far similar to the Jag.
lmao.
i think u will believe when tejas will fire bvr in front of you haha. and in current 4.5gen. tech gun hardly matters and lca tejas is also light stick fighter just like fa 50 and jf17 and better than jf 17 as our tejas has hmds, 4-axis flyby wire rather than only 3-axis in jf17 so pilot have to control his plane manually.

Sancho

lmao.
i think u will believe when tejas will fire bvr in front of you haha.
Well there is the difference between you and me, you want to belive and pretend things about Tejas, I stick to the facts of Tejas, be it good or bad. That's why I can fully acknowledge it's A2G capabilities compared to a Jag, while also pointing to the simple truth, that IOC lacks every bit of A2A capability of a 4th gen fighter. No flight performance, no gun, no BVR missiles, which is why I constantly state, that FOC is the key for LCA in near term, not MK1A, because FOC makes a 4th gen multi role capable fighter out of it, while MK1A is just a minor modernisation.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Well there is the difference between you and me, you want to belive and pretend things about Tejas, I stick to the facts of Tejas, be it good or bad. That's why I can fully acknowledge it's A2G capabilities compared to a Jag, while also pointing to the simple truth, that IOC lacks every bit of A2A capability of a 4th gen fighter. No flight performance, no gun, no BVR missiles, which is why I constantly state, that FOC is the key for LCA in near term, not MK1A, because FOC makes a 4th gen multi role capable fighter out of it, while MK1A is just a minor modernisation.
Somewhat correct but missed this, and the key words are "Tejas has successfully completed a series of captive flight trials to clear Derby for the full operational capability".
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/te...iring-of-bvr-missile/articleshow/63951579.cms

Sancho

Somewhat correct but missed this, and the key words are "Tejas has successfully completed a series of captive flight trials to clear Derby for the full operational capability".
https://m.timesofindia.com/india/te...iring-of-bvr-missile/articleshow/63951579.cms
Here again, you did good to inform yourself, but as your own source shows, Derby is part of the FOC only, while IOCs doesn't have that capability today. So you just confirmed once again what I said.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Here again, you did good to inform yourself, but as your own source shows, Derby is part of the FOC only, while IOCs doesn't have that capability today. So you just confirmed once again what I said.
Well what i confirmed is the derby missile UPG and if the aircrafts are leaving the home base at HAL and moving to an airforce combat base, they probably have the upgrades in the software.

Sancho

Well what i confirmed is the derby missile UPG and if the aircrafts are leaving the home base at HAL and moving to an airforce combat base, they probably have the upgrades in the software.
If that is what you got from your own source, your confusion is understandable.

1. There are no FOC fighters leaving HAL to IAF bases, because the FOC is not achieved yet

2. FOC is far more than upgrading software (read up the articles about the IOC/FOC trainers)

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
The Jaguar performed brilliantly in RAF service in Operation Desert Storm
Whithout loss?
The french ones, less potent, were limited to daylight strike, and without guided bombs (except AS30 laser) had a very bad trip there.

binayak95

Country flag
Whithout loss?
The french ones, less potent, were limited to daylight strike, and without guided bombs (except AS30 laser) had a very bad trip there.
yes. Without loss. 12 upgraded Jaguars were the RAF detachment. 612 sorties. no losses

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Had we developed HTFE 37 in place of HTFE 25, our problem of Jaguar engine replacement would have taken care of. Can we do that right now? US company has doubled the price as they are sole supplier. Let us make it in 3 years taking HTFE as base and upgrade Jaguar with our own engine.

Kchontha

Country flag
India should develop all types of turbofan to suit its requirement. Imports is very costly nowadays. Instead we should pump in a lot of funds to r&d.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Whithout loss?
We didn't lose any aircraft during Op Daguet, four Jaguars were damaged by AAA but made it back. The AS30 was the most accurate PGM of the Gulf War.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I have a feeling that Jaguar is going the way of Mig-27 - OUT.
It will be replaced. Hoping quick fighter purchases after elections. Jaguar may stick around for some time but its war time use is increasingly dubious. Any fighter with inadequate self defence will not survive modern battlefield.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
I have a feeling that Jaguar is going the way of Mig-27 - OUT.
It will be replaced. Hoping quick fighter purchases after elections. Jaguar may stick around for some time but its war time use is increasingly dubious. Any fighter with inadequate self defence will not survive modern battlefield.
Totally false.Jaguar is staying in service 2030 at least.We just re engined and digitalized the.Added an AESA radar,as well as ASRAAM and cbu-105 munitions.With mig-27 gone jaguars will remian vital as low level ground penetration aircraft and by their ability to shatter incoming any armour columns.

garg_bharat

Country flag
Totally false.Jaguar is staying in service 2030 at least.We just re engined and digitalized the.Added an AESA radar,as well as ASRAAM and cbu-105 munitions.With mig-27 gone jaguars will remian vital as low level ground penetration aircraft and by their ability to shatter incoming any armour columns.
I think re-engine did not happen due to cost.
AESA radar - link please?
How will it dodge enemy missiles?

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
I think re-engine did not happen due to cost.
AESA radar - link please?
How will it dodge enemy missiles?
Engine is delayed but is bound to happen.Alternative is all 6 squadrons are retired.IAF squadron strength will pummel.
https://www.janes.com/article/86852/hal-showcases-upgraded-jaguar-max-combat-aircraft
http://www.indiastrategic.in/2017/08/11/hal-upgrades-jaguar-aircraft-with-powerful-aesa-radar/

New AESA jammer.Low level radar evading flight profile.

Wingtop ASRAAM for self defence,ASRAAM has the unique ability to fire at angles where it can hit pursuing enemy fighters.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles