Indian forces interoperability with NATO

tejas10

Country flag
Hello all,

I have been given the green light to ask open ended questions on IA/NATO interoperability in operations focusing on a COIN doctrine imparting by the IA in reducing border operations in the IN-PAK LOC:

^any experiences with insurgency beyond the indo-Pak would also qualify.

Please feel free to provide input on:

1) doctrinal differences between NATO and IA on reducing cross border infiltration to avoid insurgency in sovereign JK as opposed to eastern PAK

2) insurgency doctrine implemented in treating nationals vs foreign militants

3)focus on assuring safety and security for the border residents (as they remain Indian nationals) so they can have their rights to vote in free and fair elections.

please feel free to ask me to expand on these basic guidelines and I can certainly provide more specific details:

@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR,@AVINASH4061, @rkhanna,@abingdonboy

the people tagged are persons I have talked to personally or been referred to. If any one would be able to comment, I can certainly value your opinion. Thanks.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Hello all,

I have been given the green light to ask open ended questions on IA/NATO interoperability in operations focusing on a COIN doctrine imparting by the IA in reducing border operations in the IN-PAK LOC:

^any experiences with insurgency beyond the indo-Pak would also qualify.

Please feel free to provide input on:

1) doctrinal differences between NATO and IA on reducing cross border infiltration to avoid insurgency in sovereign JK as opposed to eastern PAK

2) insurgency doctrine implemented in treating nationals vs foreign militants

3)focus on assuring safety and security for the border residents (as they remain Indian nationals) so they can have their rights to vote in free and fair elections.

please feel free to ask me to expand on these basic guidelines and I can certainly provide more specific details:

@COLDHEARTED AVIATOR,@AVINASH4061, @rkhanna,@abingdonboy

the people tagged are persons I have talked to personally or been referred to. If any one would be able to comment, I can certainly value your opinion. Thanks.
The biggest difference between NATO and IA (Indian mil as a whole) will be that NATO is often fighting away from its borders whereas the Indian mil is very much fighting on their soil and are hence well entrenched.

I've often argued that the Indian Mil has become far too COIN/CT focused, this could be argued for NATO/ISAF members too thanks to GWOT but with drawdowns in Af and Iraq this is changing and a conventional pivot is occurring in most NATO nations- especially with the renewed Russian tensions.

So most doctrinal differences comes from these two perspectives

1) India has spent a LOT of treasure and resources in building up and maintaining a multi-layered 'counter infiltration grid' that is made up of physical on the ground assets (barriers, UGS, thermal cameras etc), remote monitoring (UAVs and helos) and Intel sources. I don't believe NATO/ISAF really ever got anywhere close to this (nor really attempted to) vis a vis the Eastern Af/Pak border hence why the free flow of terrorists never ceased.

2) India generally will hunt down foreign terrorists with the objective of capturing them alive for the intel they can provide but will freely eliminate them if this isn't seen as plausible, when it comes to locals that turn terrorist a slightly softer hand is given and local CI units give every opportunity for the locals to surrender- this is often assisted by the local police (JKP). In many cases they bring family members of the terrorists to the cordon and have them plead with their family member to surrender:

I believe there are multiple 'reform'/'de-radicalisation' schemes for these locals turned terrorists monitored by federal and local law enforcement agencies, foreign terrorists are imprisoned.

3) This is the responsibility of local army commanders who are forward deployed to the LoC, AFAIK most of the residents in direct line of fire on the Indian side of the LoC have been relocated, the ones that remain have bomb shelters to a large degree. The contrast with the Pak side is that the Pak army continues to keep civilians at the foreword most edges of the LoC so as to use them as a human shield and also to further their propaganda campaign when/if they become casualties of Indian direct/indirect firing.

Civilian casualties on the Pak side of the LoC are hence reported at much higher levels than on the Indian side.

+ probably the biggest difference between Indian/NATO CT/COIN strategies are the use of force doctrines, Indian CT/COIN strategy is to use the absolute minimum force possible (knowing they are fighting amongst their own populace and on their own soil hence want to avoid material and human damage) hence you'll never see the IAF dropping 500+ pound PGM on a terrorist location, in fact the use of air power is explicitly prohibited on Indian soil.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles