Indian Economy: News and Discussion

The Juggernaut

Country flag
German factory orders sink for a fifth month as rampant inflation and global supply disruptions continue to weigh on the outlook in Europe’s largest economy

Germany is being hammered down in Russia-Ukraine war. I think they will be wishing u if they could be neutral like India and stay away from recession. Winter will break, EU will pay the price for it.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Germany is being hammered down in Russia-Ukraine war. I think they will be wishing u if they could be neutral like India and stay away from recession. Winter will break, EU will pay the price for it.
for all the fun that was made at the expense of merkel on this forum, it is turning out to be the case that her policies were the right one for germany.

-keeping germany neutral and economy focussed
-keeping EU from going overboard on certain things
-maintain relationship with russia
-not allowing govt expenditure to rise beyond revenue
-tempering military instincts of EU and germany

another_armchair

Country flag
HRZD Ragav Chanda schooled by FM.

Moron was last seen waging fingers on GST levied on local hotels around Golden Temple Amritsar.

Is she completely retarded or what?

Does she mean inflation will stop people from buying milk, curd, atta, rice and other food staples which were brought under the 5% GST net?

Her cocky analogies deserve chappals... not applause.

Cut back expenditure if fiscal deficit is out of your control but no... won't do that.

karn

Country flag
Is she completely retarded or what?

Does she mean inflation will stop people from buying milk, curd, atta, rice and other food staples which were brought under the 5% GST net?

Her cocky analogies deserve chappals... not applause.

Cut back expenditure if fiscal deficit is out of your control but no... won't do that.
Yes it totally means that and why inflation is always a bad thing . Buying power is finite .

another_armchair

Country flag
Yes it totally means that and why inflation is always a bad thing . Buying power is finite .
GST on staples during inflationary times in the developing world is criminal.

Consumption patterns in India w.r.t staples have ducked inflation over a medium period of time after the initial reaction of reducing consumption.

Mind telling me where milk or curd consumption has reduced despite prices rising year after year?

Her analogy w.r.t food staples is completely flawed and her arrogant cockiness makes it slapworthy.

Its like saying people have stopped buying gas cylinders after price went up from Rs. 400 to Rs. 1000. The rural poor may find it difficult to afford... others meanwhile will scrimp but buy it nevertheless.

Cannot apply logic of inflation leads to drop in demand across all segments.

FMCG is considered a safe haven during high inflation-high interest rate periods.
Why?
Coz people CANNOT DO without those products. They may buy smaller portions but demand doesn't fall which is evident if you track the segment.

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
GST on staples during inflationary times in the developing world is criminal.

Consumption patterns in India w.r.t staples have ducked inflation over a medium period of time after the initial reaction of reducing consumption.

Mind telling me where milk or curd consumption has reduced despite prices rising year after year?

Her analogy w.r.t food staples is completely flawed and her arrogant cockiness makes it slapworthy.

Its like saying people have stopped buying gas cylinders after price went up from Rs. 400 to Rs. 1000. The rural poor may find it difficult to afford... others meanwhile will scrimp but buy it nevertheless.

Cannot apply logic of inflation leads to drop in demand across all segments.

FMCG is considered a safe haven during high inflation-high interest rate periods.
Why?
Coz people CANNOT DO without those products. They may buy smaller portions but demand doesn't fall which is evident if you track the segment.
You are factoring free ration for 80 crore people for past two years in your calculation?
she didn't mention staples, listen again.

Kumata

Country flag
You are factoring free ration for 80 crore people for past two years in your calculation?
she didn't mention staples, listen again.
Is there any such data published by GOI or independent source, on items whose demand is less due to inflation & thus reduced taxes inflow ?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Is there any such data published by GOI or independent source, on items whose demand is less due to inflation & thus reduced taxes inflow ?
there should be plenty available from UPA days when inflation was above 9% for years, when inflation goes up lifestyle goods and services take the first hit. India did get into fragile five in 2013.

Shuturmurg

Country flag
Chads .. Despite palm being water intensive .. it isn't more water intensive than paddy ..
But Telangana needs to prepare for the flood of kanglus that will actually do the harvesting.
Total import is 9.5 million tonnes. Telengana is only planning for an output of 4 million tonnes .. Other water rich states should pitch in.
Now it makes sense why they built worlds largest lift irrigation project. Atleast one Telugu state's government is doing some thing.

Btw, can anyone from Andhra tell me what the hell is Jagan upto nowadays ? Last time I heard he wanted to create 3 separate capitals. Has he done any development work ?

Kumata

Country flag
there should be plenty available from UPA days when inflation was above 9% for years, when inflation goes up lifestyle goods and services take the first hit. India did get into fragile five in 2013.
Exactly.. Chadha's Question was for staples not lifestyle goods & she replied in terms of some thing else..

In lifestyle also.. if i go to markets here, there is no dearth in demand.. people have adopted to inflation & are spending as much as they can...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Exactly.. Chadha's Question was for staples not lifestyle goods & she replied in terms of some thing else..

In lifestyle also.. if i go to markets here, there is no dearth in demand.. people have adopted to inflation & are spending as much as they can...
that's because inflation is mostly managed in India, look at other countries.
leave it, this discussion will go no where.

another_armchair

Country flag
let the minutes of meeting of this GST council meeting come out, then we will take it up.
I don't bat for AAP. Never did, never will.

I voted for BJP and will continue to do so but I have every right to question them or did I forfeit that right by voting for them?

The GST council was unanimous in its decision to raise GST by 5% on staples. My question is WHY?

Govt. in the past resorted to cess route for revenue generation. How sustainable is that? We figured when crude hit $100 a barrel. They couldn't hike prices anymore or the political cost would rise.

another_armchair

Country flag
that's because inflation is mostly managed in India, look at other countries.
leave it, this discussion will go no where.
They are managing core inflation because we have attained a fair bit of self sufficiency in the core sector of consumption and staples at least.

Food security is more than adequate except for edible oils.

Pulses except for the market driven shock in 2015, has been largely under check.

Milk - self sufficient.

Pharmacy - self sufficient in generics and other medications at least.

What is beyond our control? Fuel.

How can we even compare inflation in India to say a country in Europe or Singapore where they don't have the same luxury as ours?

Petrol at gas station in US is still cheaper than in India by at least 7-10 rupees when I last checked.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The GST council was unanimous in its decision to raise GST by 5% on staples. My question is WHY?
because there were two slabs for these items, branded/packed & unbranded/loose.

-branded packed were 5% even earlier, unbranded packed & loose no GST.
-some companies who were selling branded packed before, were removing their branded labels from their packets and undercutting the sales of companies who were willing to pay GST.
-now there is level playing field, for all packed staple items.
-no GST even now for loosely sold staples, target group is EWS.
- companies like mother dairy have absorbed the GST hike, and increased milk price by 1 or 2 ₹.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles