Indian Economy: News and Discussion

SKC

Country flag
Actually lot of of chinese companies and even western companies also sell rebranded Foxconn phones. Very few companies have capability to design and manufacture their own phone. Same is true for wearables and also other electronics appliances.

Making a phone from scratch requires full control over design and manufacturing of small components. This is a very tricky thing. Taiwan, S Korea, Japan and US had invested heavily in their electronics industry back in 80s. This why they possess such capabilities today. China is fast emerging player in this field. Still it will take few more years for them to reach parity.

India is a new player. We don't even have a single semiconductor manufacturing fab, nor displaying fab, no small electronic components manufacturers. Even peole with experience in this field and machinery is lacking. We have just begun our journey with PLI schemes and other incentives in last 2-3 years.

Also designing product is a difficult task without first party access to latest components and manufacturing equipment. So best they can do is design a logo and box. This is sad reality of their situation.

Also since these local companies have to buy products off the shelf, they have to deal with extremely thin margin. They rely heavily on selling large quantities to compensate thin margins. When they lose their sales in big numbers, they can't sustain their business. This is why you see local brands like Micromax being no 1 at one point and suddenly vanishing from market in few years.

This is why components manufacturing, semiconductor fabs, display fabs, PCB factories, etc. Is extremely important for India to cultivate an ecosystem for domestic electronics manufacturing. When this happens we will see lots of Indian electronics manufacturing startups in the country.
Making a full smartphone from scratch is not exactly a tricky thing. Chinese companies running from a basement shop are doing this since over two decades now.

A lot EU nations also had phone manufacturers in 80s, 90s onwards too.
Out own companies did nothing in name of R&D over the years, mostly assembled the hardware and that too with borrowed software.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Why are you concern trolling about Bihar? Why are you propagating nonsense theory that Indian Union has some sinster plan to keep Bihar poor. Why don't you give your gyaan to your Nepali brothers who are almost on the verge of bankruptcy nowadays?
It’s because of the dhimmi mentality of Delhi
though after the arrival of narendra Modi a lot has changed but the bureaucracy is still the same
Read this wonderful article written by Mohan Guruswamy

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
It’s because of the dhimmi mentality of Delhi
though after the arrival of narendra Modi a lot has changed but the bureaucracy is still the same
Read this wonderful article written by Mohan Guruswamy
And why should we read Scamgress toiletpaper National Herand?

Concard

Country flag
No fucking way. You don't do FTA with EU without building your own capabilities. First assess how our exports is going to benefit. At the same time what industries will be destroyed by imports. I am sure our textiles are going to benefit. I don't know whether our Engineering goods can compete with German and Dutch engineering goods. What about agricultural exports from our side? Sure may be we will benefit. Our pharma industry is going to benefit. However Europeans are asking for more than FTA with India in the past discussions.

Talks on an EU-India Bilateral Trade and Investment Agreement have stalled after failing to resolve differences related to matters such as the level of FDI & market access, manufacture of generic drugs, greenhouse gas emissions, civil nuclear energy, farming subsidies, regulation & safeguards of the financial sector, cooperation on tax evasion, overseas financing of NGOs in India, trade controls, technology transfer restrictions and cooperation on embargoes (Russia)

Covfefe

Country flag
This news makes me happy ☺

Putting liquidity into what we own is needed. A lot of it.

Butter Chicken

Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag

gajapati

Country flag
wow ... Free trade agreement with a 17 trillion economy ll be biggest economic achievement of this govt .. It ll be foundation for china plus one ... :) .

gajapati

Country flag
No fucking way. You don't do FTA with EU without building your own capabilities. First assess how our exports is going to benefit. At the same time what industries will be destroyed by imports. I am sure our textiles are going to benefit. I don't know whether our Engineering goods can compete with German and Dutch engineering goods. What about agricultural exports from our side? Sure may be we will benefit. Our pharma industry is going to benefit. However Europeans are asking for more than FTA with India in the past discussions.
Out of everything u mentioned that NGO thing concerns me ..

Regarding capacity india i have faith in PLI scheme . And energy cost going to be very high after russia ukraine war .. We might be in a position to get some of those manufacturing .. Regarding high end engineering goods we already import them .. A year back a friend imported a German rice mill machine because indian option had lower capacity .. importing high end capital goods in cheap price is good for economy .

Covfefe

Country flag
All these will be obviously considered. ASSOCHAM, FICCI and CII are instrumental in drafting of these trade pacts. Regarding the NGO and foreign interference thingy, they might be willing to more than accomodate because they don't really have a lot of choices. China is already chipping into their European alliance with its 17+1 format(12 Eastern European countries which are relatively less wealthy and 5 Baltic States). If Western Europe at the behest of Amreekans want to push some anti China stance, it may threaten the alliance itself. Hedging it with India while persuading Indian companies to undertake similar projects in Eastern Europe is what they're playing on. Plus Services, Cars and Engineered goods export will be diverted to India in the mid term(once 4000 USD per capita GDP magic number is overcome).

Butter Chicken

Country flag
wow ... Free trade agreement with a 17 trillion economy ll be biggest economic achievement of this govt .. It ll be foundation for china plus one ... :) .
FTA with EU is impossible, only chai-biskoot session.

Auto components from Germany? Nope
Farm produce from Europe? Nope

China also managed to sign FTA with EU only in 2020
We need to wait until we are $10 trillion economy

Crazywithmath

Country flag
Is EU really interested? If memory serves me right, the Germans have previously opposed an FTA with Ind (they already conceded a lot of manufacturing to chongs; definitely do not want a repeat here) and while other nations are not really opposed to it there are challenges domestically. Agri is a point of contention due to you know farmers from where and the GoI probably is wary of automobiles as well (some plants might move out that simply started operating here to avail tariff benefits and bypass NTBs). NTBs on food and agri products are major points of contention as well and above all EU ,unlike the Brits, is not desperate enough to form new partnerships at the moment. Worse, they might sign some deals and ultimately none of them will be ratified through the European Parliament (just like the stalled trade deal with chongs) and I am not even talking about at least some MEPs who will oppose it due to arbitrary reasons (muh Cashmere, muh Hanuman rights etc etc).

Plus Services, Cars and Engineered goods export will be diverted to India in the mid term(once 4000 USD per capita GDP magic number is overcome).
Elaborate 🤔

gajapati

Country flag
FTA with EU is impossible, only chai-biskoot session.

Auto components from Germany? Nope
Farm produce from Europe? Nope

China also managed to sign FTA with EU only in 2020
We need to wait until we are $10 trillion economy
Regarding auto component these were in news last year -

And it is always better to import from Europe than China ...

Regarding farm produce i dont have sufficient knowledge .

Butter Chicken

Country flag
Regarding auto component these were in news last year -

And it is always better to import from Europe than China ...

Regarding farm produce i dont have sufficient knowledge .
They are investing here because of tarrifs. otherwise they should simply export from already existing factories.

FTA's with US, UK,Canada,GCC,Mexico and LatAm should be priority

Covfefe

Country flag
Is EU really interested? If memory serves me right, the Germans have previously opposed an FTA with Ind (they already conceded a lot of manufacturing to chongs; definitely do not want a repeat here) and while other nations are not really opposed to it there are challenges domestically. Agri is a point of contention due to you know farmers from where and the GoI probably is wary of automobiles as well (some plants might move out that simply started operating here to avail tariff benefits and bypass NTBs). NTBs on food and agri products are major points of contention as well and above all EU ,unlike the Brits, is not desperate enough to form new partnerships at the moment. Worse, they might sign some deals and ultimately none of them will be ratified through the European Parliament (just like the stalled trade deal with chongs) and I am not even talking about at least some MEPs who will oppose it due to arbitrary reasons (muh Cashmere, muh Hanuman rights etc etc).
Hmm, but the thing is can they forgo the pressure of Chongs of not entering FTA when it has its major countries Germany and France by balls.
Elaborate
Some study which showed how consumption level goes dramatically higher when per capita GDP at 4000 USD. A significant base for imported vehicles(30-40k USD bracket), services and so one. Basically the multiplicative effect takes over fairly well, and that reflects in overall trade numbers

Global Defence

New threads

Articles