Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Covfefe

Country flag
I did live on the outskirts of colombo for sometime a year before the final war.

due to lower population and concentration of public services to the south , they have an advantage on metrics like education, per capita income health parameters . sure.

but when it comes to standard of living, it's no different from India both in rural and urban setup. their economic complexity index is on a lower scale than India as a country, due to being an island nation and low population.
I have never lived in Sri Lanka but have seen some videos on YT and the usual data,. But I have lived in the rural areas of Bihar and UP, been to a lot of rural Bengal- and trust me Lankans seem much better off.

Maybe similar to South Indian villages but definitely better than North Indian rural landscape

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
General civic sense and manners is what we need- a lot. In Delhi, even the government buses jump the signal like any other day. People jump right into the middle of the road even when the lights are green. Encroachment, and littering is so commonplace- a lot of poorer countries would look better than us. Except hills, deserts and some South and NE East rural places- India isn't much of tourism worthy.
Thats why I said, like you brought Delhi, most of tourist places in Delhi are in Chandni Chowk / Old Delhi which is a total chaotic place. Mumbai is another chaotic place. Our cities aren’t worth visiting, but places like Sikkim, Goa, Shimla etc are.

here2where

Well we should atleast improve tourism in our own country, can help us make up for the deficits. Most of the times these fake news gora media portrays entire India as a giant slum and shows how pathetic India is (yes Indian cities need a lot of maintenance work which is ignored). Hilly areas like Sikkim, Himachal etc, deserts of Rajasthan, beaches of Goa (already a major international tourist attraction) and various national parks etc have a lot of untapped potential. We lag a lot behind when it comes to tourist arrivals.
Frankly India as a country does not suffer from a lack of advertisement for tourism globally.
Right from hippie days and earlier, droves from the west and east have come here for the spiritual, Yoga, varied natural beauty, culture, etc. Heck our national carrier's mascot the Maharaja was recognized the world over.

No other Asian country could ever compete with us as being the premier tourism destination for the rich west.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I have never lived in Sri Lanka but have seen some videos on YT and the usual data,. But I have lived in the rural areas of Bihar and UP, been to a lot of rural Bengal- and trust me Lankans seem much better off.

Maybe similar to South Indian villages but definitely better than North Indian rural landscape
Yes we can agree on this, obviously my reference point will not be villages in bihar and UP. lower population makes a lot of difference to how a place looks.

we can compare SL to Goa (both urban and rural), but with a nice built up capital city.

here2where

Yes we can agree on this, obviously my reference point will not be villages in bihar and UP. lower population makes a lot of difference to how a place looks.

we can compare SL to Goa (both urban and rural), but with a nice built up capital city.
Comparison of SL to KL will be more natural - historically speaking ...

From quora -
"
What's today known as Kerala was the big chunk of Chera kingdom 1000 years ago.

Cheras were one of the three major Tamil kingdoms (the other two being the Chozhas and Pandyas).

Pandyas and Cheras were arch rivals. Chozhas and Sinhalas were at naval war very often. Pandyas and Chozhas were almost always enemies.

Chozhas could find allies in the North from today's Andhra and Karnataka. Being cut off from the north, the Cheras and Pandyas had to seek allies south.

They sought the Sinhalese. Now the Sinhalese also needed friends to fight against Chozhas in the mainland. They happily obliged.

Cheras were the most disadvantaged in terms of real estate. Due to geographical similarities and the elephant factor (for war) they got closer to Sinhalese in terms of inter immigration. Pandyas were more into trade with Sri Lanka but Cheras were also exchanging gene pools.

So much so that we have a community called Ezhavas in Kerala. It literally means Sri Lankan. Their ancestors have migrated from Srilanka.

You'll see common features between people of Srilanka and people from Tirunelveli and Nagarcoil districts of TN.
"

warriorextreme

Country flag
Human Development index cannot encapsulate everything under the Sun. It was designed for a specific purpose- to put some measure for a general well being of people. It cannot capture the possibility of Putin nuking Ukraine, Sheikhs in the ME going environment friendly and America being a peace dove. Stuff like economic complexity, import dependence, overall trade portfolio get captured in various other metrics
Which proves the point that the HDI is flawed, like I said the any development index should consider sustainability. Examples of Venezuela and Srilanka speak for themselves according to me.

Covfefe

Country flag
Which proves the point that the HDI is flawed, like I said the any development index should consider sustainability. Examples of Venezuela and Srilanka speak for themselves according to me.
Nope it's a strawman argument. Economic failure of Venezuela or Sri Lanka has nothing to do with an indicator that shows the general well being of their people. A metric cannot fail to indicate what it wasn't designed for.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Nope it's a strawman argument. Economic failure of Venezuela or Sri Lanka has nothing to do with an indicator that shows the general well being of their people. A metric cannot fail to indicate what it wasn't designed for.
So in a nutshell it is okay to achieve unsustainable human development based on a flawed economy?

Also I am not the only one who is asking these questions. There seem to be many proposals to improve the currently flawed HDI.

Covfefe

Country flag
So in a nutshell it is okay to achieve unsustainable human development based on a flawed economy?
Maybe, maybe not. But whether an economy is flawed or not isn't for HDI to address. And at similar per capita economy there're countries with better HDI, then what is flawed here?
There seem to be many proposals to improve the currently flawed HDI.
Improvement can always be made to capture human well being better. But Sri Lanka didn't go pauper because they overspent on education or health- they made a lot of stupid choices with expensive real estate loans and pandemic struck them bad.

Physx32

Country flag
HDI clearly has the word 'human' in it. Nowhere does it deal with the health or sustainability of the economy. It's like saying you can't measure distance using the unit kg, so kg is a useless unit.

warriorextreme

Country flag
Maybe, maybe not. But whether an economy is flawed or not isn't for HDI to address. And at similar per capita economy there're countries with better HDI, then what is flawed here?

Improvement can always be made to capture human well being better. But Sri Lanka didn't go pauper because they overspent on education or health- they made a lot of stupid choices with expensive real estate loans and pandemic struck them bad.
The false sense of "All is well" that current HDI gives is what concerns me. The below link gives the basics of calculating the HDI and from the first look itself I can see the problem. Apart from healthcare the other two factors are misleading e.g. GDP Per capita does not show income inequality and Years of education does not consider the quality of education.

).

When I wrote "flawed" I actually meant "flawed" and not "useless". The truth mostly lies in the middle and thus calling HDI "perfect" or "useless" are both factually incorrect but there definitely is scope of improvement as proposed by many.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles