Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Knowitall

In big urban areas, to a great extent, yes.

GPay, PayTM, Phonepe.. etc rule the small/petty cash transactions followed by cards.

Buzz that 2k notes will be slowly withdrawn. Anyways, been more than 2 years since I laid my hands on one.
If India does finally moves towards a cashless economy this will probably be the best work of the govt till date.

Corruption can be erased from various sectors if this is implemented.

another_armchair

Country flag
If India does finally moves towards a cashless economy this will probably be the best work of the govt till date.

Corruption can be erased from various sectors if this is implemented.
Corruption cannot be erased from various sectors because graft is ingrained in our DNA, particularly that of Govt offices and also private businesses.

Will give you a small example.

A large state govt entity owns luxury resorts. They recently witnessed a host of railways and govt employees coming there with families for vacations. These folks are from the lower ranks like clerical staff etc. People wondered how can these folks spend 6k per night and book a chunk of luxury cottages?

A little probing revealed that they were paid in 'kind' lately.

Try to get a file/application cleared in a Govt. office without paying Rs. 500. Don't see it happening in my lifetime.

Knowitall

Corruption cannot be erased from various sectors because graft is ingrained in our DNA, particularly that of Govt offices and also private businesses.

Will give you a small example.

A large state govt entity owns luxury resorts. They recently witnessed a host of railways and govt employees coming there with families for vacations. These folks are from the lower ranks like clerical staff etc. People wondered how can these folks spend 6k per night and book a chunk of luxury cottages?

A little probing revealed that they were paid in 'kind' lately.

Try to get a file/application cleared in a Govt. office without paying Rs. 500. Don't see it happening in my lifetime.
True.

But detecting irregularities in income will become extremely easy if all your transactions are done online and the details of the transaction stored.

For example GST collections have risen so much along with taxes because online payments make it extremely difficult to hide your income.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles