Indian Economy: News and Discussion

SKC

Country flag
It already was number one, recent bloodbaths at the stock market made it 2nd rank globally.
Its a highly volatile rank. TCS comes first previously also few times.
Depends on market valuation.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Lmao again BS, Netflix content has been pathetic. Almost no great India-specific content flooded with boring shit. Amazon has been much better with India specific content. And saying that global brands fail in India is another joke, if your products aren’t competitive you’ll be thrown out. KIA outsold Ford within a year of entering the Indian market.

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
It already was number one, recent bloodbaths at the stock market made it 2nd rank globally.
Market cap is different thing. This time TCS has been named as second most valuable brand in IT services in industry world wide.

doreamon

Country flag
Market size is different for different products . For tooth paste , mobile phone , laptop , house hold electronics you ll have a different market than that of netflix or amazon prime , 4 wheelers etc . Not everybody is so excited for every kind of products . Why dunkin donuts failed in india while other food brands thriving .. Success of American companies does nt define market capacity .. Generalization based on some pew research or individual anger for current govt shd be avoided .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
does netflix even advertise in India? if they do advertise, where? i have never seen an netflix advertisement, even if i did see it, i don't remember it. as if they don't even try for subscribers outside of delhi and mumbai.

i have seen hotstar ads, amazonprime gets advertised by person to person recommendations.

Cheepek

Numbers are not a mirage, it has to do with per capita income.

US per capita income- ~$60k
Basic monthly plan- $10

India per capita- ~2.1k
Basic monthly plan- ~$2.65
"Mobile" plan- ~$2

30 times difference in per capita income while only 5 times the difference in subscription cost.

Moreover, local Netflix content is absolute shit. Even I did not bother to renew my subscription again.

Indrajit

Country flag
250 million consumers aren’t enough? Netflix is being compared to Amazon and Disney both of whom are doing much better. The problem is content coupled with higher prices in a market that wasn’t familiar with it (unlike Disney) nor coupled with an eshopping behemoth like Amazon. Also Netflix got itself into some controversial topics and the bad press didn’t help. India is not an “woke” market, so companies have to tread carefully not to damage their brand. Companies much bigger and more famous have learnt it to their peril. Also Netflix seems to want quick results, won’t work in the Indian market.

Indrajit

Country flag
Numbers are not a mirage, it has to do with per capita income.

US per capita income- ~$60k
Basic monthly plan- $10

India per capita- ~2.1k
Basic monthly plan- ~$2.65
"Mobile" plan- ~$2

30 times difference in per capita income while only 5 times the difference in subscription cost.

Moreover, local Netflix content is absolute shit. Even I did not bother to renew my subscription again.
Per capita comparisons also skew the discussion. Companies like Netflix aren’t looking for all consumers in India, they have a segment in mind and that market cannot be connected to avg per capita income since purchasing power in that segment is more even if maybe lower than avg per capita income of the US.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars the Current OTT formula will not work in India the consumer don't want to pay a subscription fees. If there are pirated available they will see that. I surely will not spend any money on such or any OTT unless it's free even with advertising in it's. Well in most developing world they are not doing well no surprise. Pehale Internet ka bill bharu aur as inke subscription fees bhi chal hat.

Agar In no ne free mein bhi diya to bhi nahi dekuga inka Woke Series.

Cheepek

Per capita comparisons also skew the discussion. Companies like Netflix aren’t looking for all consumers in India, they have a segment in mind and that market cannot be connected to avg per capita income since purchasing power in that segment is more even if maybe lower than avg per capita income of the US.
Even in that segment people will look for the cost-benefit ratio. If I have money to throw, I'd rather throw 500 INR annually on Hotstar which provides me with better localised content or 1000 INR on Amazon which bundles a host of other services than throwing 2400 INR on Netflix which I don't bother opening more than once or twice a week.
There's no point in blaming the consumer for the product's shortfalls. There are so many competitors around, people with enough disposable incomes want the best for their money too.

JBH22

Lmao again BS, Netflix content has been pathetic. Almost no great India-specific content flooded with boring shit. Amazon has been much better with India specific content. And saying that global brands fail in India is another joke, if your products aren’t competitive you’ll be thrown out. KIA outsold Ford within a year of entering the Indian market.
If you cannot compete and make a decent profit out of 200mio customers then its not the market but your product that need some introspection 🤣

Haldilal

Country flag
If you cannot compete and make a decent profit out of 200mio customers then its not the market but your product that need some introspection 🤣
Ya'll Nibbiars most of the OTT Platfirms are living in their own world can't make a proper series without any woke. That why till now television series in India rules.

JBH22

Ya'll Nibbiars most of the OTT Platfirms are living in their own world can't make a proper series without any woke. That why till now television series in India rules.
I saw this movie, was going nice. The moment story took a turn about hum butt funking trans I just turned it off. These content is not for Indian public, average guy is not woke enough.
They just copy paste template from West, then cry when profit is not there.

images.jpeg

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars most of this OTT are spending more money than earning. Almost all of them are burning the money fater than the earnings. This is not a sustainable model in long run with proper back up findings. Aur yeh to Hone hei tha. Will not be suprised if other OTT Platforms olso cry this.

mokoman

Country flag
It's a debian based distro. Don't know who will use that lol, people would rather install debian itself. Btw I use Gentoo.

No lol. All govt computers use Windows. As for laptops, it's either windows or macOS. 99.99% of general public are incapable of daily driving linux.
Kerala communists having pushing open source heavily , they are not fan of bill gates or windows (for obvious reasons)

there is some kind of rule that only open source be used in govt offices. dont know about ground reality but its most likely true.

no smoking

Country flag
Are you really that dumb? Read what I wrote again; India is weak at labour intensive sectors and not the other way around.
What exactly is low end sector, eh?
IT services?
Fintech?
Automobiles?
Steel?
Pharmaceuticals?
Which one is it?
No, my friend, you are. As a country with India size, certainly you have these industries departments. Even smaller countries like Vietnam, Thailand, have these industries. But the problems are:

All of developing countries (including India and China) are either doing low end jobs in these industries, such as IT; or producing low end products, i.e. steel and motor vehicle.

India's IT service exports are projected to be worth US$ 250 billion in FY 2021-22 and US$ 300 billion in FY 2022-23. That is why I told you not to shit here.
You are kidding yourselves: India has been the code workers of western giants, it is the job similar to those sweat shop workers on the production line. All the key part of IT industries: system integration, structure design, etc are in Western hands.

Otherwise, please name me some world popular platforms, software, systems that are controlled by India.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles