Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars they will even claim they have economy larger than the Amerika. Better to ignore this reports.
They have somehow managed to reduce the Infant and maternal mortality rate and increase the average life expectancy they performed slightly better than India on these parameters atleast on paper I don’t know what’s the reality

Crazywithmath

Country flag
They have somehow managed to reduce the Infant and maternal mortality rate and increase the average life expectancy they performed slightly better than India on these parameters atleast on paper I don’t know what’s the reality
Their data on those parameters are not taken seriously by UNICEF, WB. UNDP uses their own estimates while calculating BD's HDI. BD people come to Kolkata for better treatment; don't read too much into their official figures. Would you trust me if I say that they underestimate their population to artificially inflate per capita parameters? The World Bank seems to think so.

Here, give this a read (shared by @gslv markIII )

@Chandragupt Maurya nibba

From the article,

As it is, the World Bank and IMF (International Monetary Fund) indirectly accuses all governments of Bangladesh of data doctoring. For long, World Bank, IMF and many other UN organisations do not consider the government-announced GDP growth as reliable. It is general knowledge that local and foreign institutions think other ‘vital statistics’ the BBS publishes are also increased and decreased at will. This doubt is not without basis. There are several instances of such manipulations:

1. The government shows the total population of Bangladesh as less than actual. As a result, the population growth rate has been decreased to 1.3 per cent. According to UNFPA, the rate is 1.42 per cent.

2. The per capita GDP could be increased artificially if the total nominal GDP is deducted by the ‘smaller number of population’. Recently, the government has claimed that per capita income of Bangladesh has risen from $1909 to $2064 on 30 June 2020.

3. The rate of inflation is shown less so that the real per capita GDP could be increased while calculating real GDP from the nominal GDP.

4. The government inflates the literacy rate, which the UNDP does not think credible enough for the Human Development Index.

Last edited:

sauntheninja

Country flag
Their data on those parameters are not taken seriously by UNICEF, WB. UNDP uses their own estimates while calculating BD's HDI. BD people come to Kolkata for better treatment; don't read too much into their official figures. Would you trust me if I say that they underestimate their population to artificially inflate per capita parameters? The World Bank seems to think so.

Here, give this a read (shared by @gslv markIII )

@Chandragupt Maurya nibba

From the article,

As it is, the World Bank and IMF (International Monetary Fund) indirectly accuses all governments of Bangladesh of data doctoring. For long, World Bank, IMF and many other UN organisations do not consider the government-announced GDP growth as reliable. It is general knowledge that local and foreign institutions think other ‘vital statistics’ the BBS publishes are also increased and decreased at will. This doubt is not without basis. There are several instances of such manipulations:

1. The government shows the total population of Bangladesh as less than actual. As a result, the population growth rate has been decreased to 1.3 per cent. According to UNFPA, the rate is 1.42 per cent.

2. The per capita GDP could be increased artificially if the total nominal GDP is deducted by the ‘smaller number of population’. Recently, the government has claimed that per capita income of Bangladesh has risen from $1909 to $2064 on 30 June 2020.

3. The rate of inflation is shown less so that the real per capita GDP could be increased while calculating real GDP from the nominal GDP.

4. The government inflates the literacy rate, which the UNDP does not think credible enough for the Human Development Index.
Interesting line from the article
Almost 40 per cent of the people in the country are below poverty line now.

Crazywithmath

Country flag
Interesting line from the article
Almost 40 per cent of the people in the country are below poverty line now.
There are more discrepancies in the data released by the BBS (Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics). They publicly admit that around 40% of the households do not possess a pucca house and 60 % do not have a concrete roof (figures are approximate; @gslv markIII can provide the details); these stats are as bad as pakis and some of the poorest African nations.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
There are more discrepancies in the data released by the BBS (Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics). They publicly admit that around 40% of the households do not possess a pucca house and 60 % do not have a concrete roof (figures are approximate; @gslv markIII can provide the details); these stats are as bad as pakis and some of the poorest African nations.
If Bangladesh can fake the data then why can’t Pakistan maybe they’re even worse I believe Bangladesh is better than Pakistan if not better than india
Not to mention Pakistan has infant mortality rate of 55.7 deaths per 1000 live births and Maternal mortality rate of 186 deaths per 100,000 live births as per their government

sauntheninja

Country flag
If Bangladesh can fake the data then why can’t Pakistan maybe they’re even worse I believe Bangladesh is better than Pakistan if not better than india
Not to mention Pakistan has infant mortality rate of 55.7 deaths per 1000 live births and Maternal mortality rate of 186 deaths per 100,000 live births as per their government
Pakistan is under sanctions due to harbouring terrorists so are seen much more closely by the west compared to bangladesh which is seen as the next asian tiger somewhat

Crazywithmath

Country flag
Pakis have very recently done shithousery with their GDP rebasing. And more than data doctoring; the BBS is plain and simple incompetent to handle vital statistics. Hasina is very image conscious and thus end parameters are somehow 'adjusted' to look impressive.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
I have one question whether Bangladesh gdp be 500 bn by 2022 end as they are claiming
Dude its pure data fudging by them, recently they rebased after which they became a $411 bn economy in 2020-21 this fiscal they’ll claim it became $450 bn and next fiscal (2022-23) will claim they became $500 billion.

This fiscal according to BBS their per capita GDP will become $2730 compared to India’s $2250 which they’ll show as much higher than India when their consumption stats do not even match. Here’s a compilation of the same.

Crazywithmath

Country flag
Dude its pure data fudging by them, recently they rebased after which they became a $411 bn economy in 2020-21 this fiscal they’ll claim it became $450 bn and next fiscal (2022-23) will claim they became $500 billion.

This fiscal according to BBS their per capita GDP will become $2730 compared to India’s $2250 which they’ll show as much higher than India when their consumption stats do not even match. Here’s a compilation of the same.

How can one 'claim' GDP numbers? Their fiscal year has not even concluded yet!

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
How can one 'claim' GDP numbers? Their fiscal year has not even concluded yet!
Thats why I said they’re doing it deliberately to fool the likes of Bilol i to saying that look BD is ahead of India.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

But even other world organizations calculate gdp of all countries like imf, wb etc
They can claim whatever they want but these organizations will have their own data
I am asking whether these organizations agree provide same gdp value like them

Crazywithmath

Country flag
But even other world organizations calculate gdp of all countries like imf, wb etc
They can claim whatever they want but these organizations will have their own data
I am asking whether these organizations agree provide same gdp value like them
They accept parameters from member nations. It is on closer analysis one can find out the discrepancies and your average layman wouldn't do that. Hasina knows this and more importantly, nobody dares to question her.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
They accept parameters from member nations. It is on closer analysis one can find out the discrepancies that your average layman wouldn't do. Hasina knows this and thus nobody cares.
Like if we say we actually have gdp of 3.1 trillion but provide them data of nearly 3.3 trillion so will they accept it
I know it's bit childish but still

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
So they basically they fudge their data and provide it to world organizations as a result wrong gdp is posted
And they also don't have a good opposition
They don’t even have proper democracy, afaik last election opposition didn’t even contested and boycotted the election. Sheikh Haseena is like a dictator (when we say dictator many think its a negative word, but a dicator is someone who dictates, it can make you successful like China or make you a failed state like North Korea).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles