Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
can’t know this for sure without independent third party verification.
chinese universities are best for technical education they focus on skills they will teach you how to use it in real life
engineering colleges in india teach everything which is not needed thats the reason why you dont find creativity in indian engineers
IITs produce clerks not engineers

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
chinese universities are best for technical education they focus on skills they will teach you how to use it in real life
engineering colleges in india teach everything which is not needed thats the reason why you dont find creativity in indian engineers
just for the sake of argument.

So Chinese universities focus on creating workers, and Indian engineering colleges maintain a degree of all round development which enables the students to diversify in non-core fields later?

by the way, technical education is handled by IIIT and poly technic schools in India. engineering technical workers come from here not engineering colleges.

Crazywithmath

Country flag
Lol no. IITs and the elite Indian institutions, as of now, have extremely flexible and up-to-date engineering courses. They have apparent lower rankings in QS world because of entirely different reasons (lack of foreign faculty, high end capital intensive R&D etc) and in due time that part will be/is being taken care of. It is for that reason EoI tag was granted. For instance, IIT Delhi is looking to recruit upto 20% of their faculty from abroad. With the invoking of NEP; I expect more institutes like BITS-Pilani, IIIT Hyd, ISB Hyd (I already have high hopes from the likes of Shiv nadar uni or even Jio institute). We need more excellent private unis.

If you take a look at the nature innovation index you will find out that various IISERs are steadily improving their rankings and since IISERs were exclusively set up with the aim of preaparing students for high end research works; the indication is that the system is yielding results. So the assumption that Indian students are not creative enough falls flat on its face.

There is innovation happeining aplenty already though. Some of the most exciting innovative startups and even unicorns were actually founded by alumni of IITs. IISc, as of now, has an exciting bunch of deeptech startups under its incubation. Indian companies already innovate; you do not survive in a competitive world without innovation. Calling Indian IT giants non-innovative is living in a fool's paradise; do not confuse innovation with invention. India's startup boom is a direct consequence of the IT revolution of the early 2000s.

Indian companies were not disruptive enough simply because there was no market earlier. With low internet penetration and even lower electricity consumption and purchasing power it did not make sense to create something disruptive. That is definitely not the case anymore though; time is ripe for creating something potentially disruptive.

Last edited:

doreamon

Country flag
For the second straight month gross GST collection crossed ₹ 1.30 lakh crore. The revenues for the month of November 2021 are 25% higher than the GST revenues in the same month last year and 27% over 2019-20 .

there ll be some deduction at constant money value . Still a good growth .

Last edited:

SKC

Country flag
chinese universities are more efficient they teach whats needed and they are up to date they wont waste time on useless stuffs
I checked with one B. Tech-IT student about his curriculum few days back.

They are still teaching them with books and course material written in 90s.

Same old concepts and examples. Still using the floppy disk examples.

SKC

Country flag
Lol no. IITs and the elite Indian institutions, as of now, have extremely flexible and up-to-date engineering courses. They have apparent lower rankings in QS world because of entirely different reasons (lack of foreign faculty, high end capital intensive R&D etc) and in due time that part will be/is being taken care of. It is for that reason EoI tag was granted. For instance, IIT Delhi is looking to recruit upto 20% of their faculty from abroad. With the invoking of NEP; I expect more institutes like BITS-Pilani, IIIT Hyd, ISB Hyd (I already have high hopes from the likes of Shiv nadar uni or even Jio institute). We need more excellent private unis.

If you take a look at the nature innovation index you will find out that various IISERs are steadily improving their rankings and since IISERs were exclusively set up with the aim of preaparing students for high end research works; the indication is that the system is yielding results. So the assumption that Indian students are not creative enough falls flat on its face.

There is innovation happeining aplenty already though. Some of the most exciting innovative startups and even unicorns were actually founded by alumni of IITs. IISc, as of now, has an exciting bunch of deeptech startups under its incubation. Indian companies already innovate; you do not survive in a competitive world without innovation. Calling Indian IT giants non-innovative is living in a fool's paradise; do not confuse innovation with invention. India's startup boom is a direct consequence of the IT revolution of the early 2000s.

Indian companies were not disruptive enough simply because there was no market earlier. With low internet penetration and even lower electricity consumption and purchasing power it did not make sense to create something disruptive. That is definitely not the case anymore though; time is ripe for creating something potentially disruptive.
Problem is with all the changes happening with Govt Institutions only.

Govt give big preference to Govt college while making yearly rankings. hardly any Pvt college is able to make into the Top 10, 20 or even top 30-40.

Give more resources and funding to private ones and make a standard baseline for each and every college to maintain.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I checked with one B. Tech-IT student about his curriculum few days back.

They are still teaching them with books and course material written in 90s.

Same old concepts and examples. Still using the floppy disk examples.
thats exactly what i want to say and students waste 4-5 years of their precious and productive life learning memorizing those useless stuffs
even a normal student would come out as a dumb from these colleges

SKC

Country flag
IITs are not producing Clerks.

They are producing world class engineers. You have them working all around you.

Problem is we jump to worship the one who manage to get top of Big Tech in US but we do not praise the one who have created billion dollar companies in India.

IITians or IIMs who create companies in India are regarding as Crony or evil capitalists. The one in US are hailed as Heros.

SKC

Country flag
thats exactly what i want to say and students waste 4-5 years of their precious and productive life learning memorizing those useless stuffs
even a normal student would come out as a dumb from these colleges
Quality and content of education in Govt colleges like IIT, NIT, IIM has reached great level.

However the problem is with these Era-gera Pvt Colleges spread across country.

We need to define a basic baseline these pvt colleges need to maintain. Make one baseline for books to follow, good exam patterns, good projects, etc.

Physx32

Country flag
Lol no. IITs and the elite Indian institutions, as of now, have extremely flexible and up-to-date engineering courses.
As someone who's graduated from a tier-1 engineering college, I can confidently say that this statement is false. Our syllabus in core engineering streams are outdated and obsolete. Anyways, it doesn't even matter since we all grind Data structures and algos to get into IT companies as manufacturing is non existent here AND IT companies offer better salaries.

Physx32

Country flag
Quality and content of education in Govt colleges like IIT, NIT, IIM has reached great level.

However the problem is with these Era-gera Pvt Colleges spread across country.

We need to define a basic baseline these pvt colleges need to maintain. Make one baseline for books to follow, good exam patterns, good projects, etc.
The first baseline for private engineering colleges would be to have actual working labs lol.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Read the damn last point again and again and again. I am tired of writing the same thing over and over. This person is the director of IIT Delhi.

View attachment 122541
To be honest most tech honchos in usa and senior executives are not from IITs but from tier 2 and 3 engineering Colleges across the country. Being a leader is a totally different skill set compared to clearing a rigorous exam.
That's also why we need massive reforms in IAS .

IndianHawk

Country flag
As someone who's graduated from a tier-1 engineering college, I can confidently say that this statement is false. Our syllabus in core engineering streams are outdated and obsolete. Anyways, it doesn't even matter since we all grind Data structures and algos to get into IT companies as manufacturing is non existent here.
India is 6th largest manufacturing nation in world.
But most of those are small and mid tier corporation perhaps not able to compete with financials and IT for top talent just yet .

Physx32

Country flag
But most of those are small and mid tier corporation perhaps not able to compete with financials and IT for top talent just yet .
Yup, most students won't even apply for these mid tier core companies when big IT firms are giving significantly more salary with easier working environment.

Covfefe

Country flag
Ownership structure also matters. Most of the Indian SMEs are Promoter led where the owner swoops most of the profits as personal wealth and the salaries become peanuts due to vast labour market. Any manufacturing manager makes nothing compared to his counterpart in Tech space. Corporates are better in this regard

Crazywithmath

Country flag
As someone who's graduated from a tier-1 engineering college, I can confidently say that this statement is false. Our syllabus in core engineering streams are outdated and obsolete. Anyways, it doesn't even matter since we all grind Data structures and algos to get into IT companies as manufacturing is non existent here AND IT companies offer better salaries.
IITs have completely revised their curricula in the last few years. Being from core engineering myself, my course at JU was okayish (not particularly outdated but nothing mind boggling either and boring at times) and my master's (in non-core) at an IIT was at par with what even the topmost US versities could possibly offer and I thorroughly enjoyed the course, my professors were absolutely stunning and it is there I found out how little and insignificant my previous knowledge was. Now that was 8-10 years back. My PhD, postdoc and internship (all abroad) were on a different level though and my experience here in India does not even come close. Tier-1 is a very broad term; I was mostly talking about the IITs, IISERs, ISIs and other IoEs.

SKC

Country flag
The first baseline for private engineering colleges would be to have actual working labs lol.
They have labs but they have no idea who to make use of these labs.

All labs period are like do whatever you want kids, just don't bother the lab assistant or professor!

Crazywithmath

Country flag
They have labs but they have no idea who to make use of these labs.

All labs period are like do whatever you want kids, just don't bother the lab assistant or professor!
Need more institutions like CMI, BITS-Pilani, IIIT-Bang, IIIT-Hyd, ISB Hyd or even XLRI. Tier 1s are mostly okayish; it is below that level things get messed up.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles