Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars Visited the Jio Drive mall in BKC. Still early days, not all shops, restaurants are to the Palladium and High street Phoenix small and extremely little to the Phoenix Market City Kurla. But its good addition to BKC, the commercial property integrated to it gives a nice feel, didnt get any Interior Photographs.

FB6IVMGUcAQFl_y.jpeg
FB6IVMFVgAIWaC2.jpeg

SahilInfra.

shashankk

Country flag
I don't care from where you are, you don't get to disrespect whole of regions just because you don't like them, everybody knows southern states are great and Kerala is at top of them in every aspect and they are developed :frog: in every aspect we look at.
I am born in Bihar, brought up in Jharkhand and in Bangalore for over a decade. I agree with what he is saying.
We northies in general lack civic sense a bit.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars @ajay7322 Nibba you are not from north so close this discussion.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars any one want a helicopter ticket?.

The Kolhapur based Ghodawat Helicopters has started this regular services.

FB0I14mVcAI_Y4m.jpeg

sauntheninja

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars Visited the Jio Drive mall in BKC. Still early days, not all shops, restaurants are to the Palladium and High street Phoenix small and extremely little to the Phoenix Market City Kurla. But its good addition to BKC, the commercial property integrated to it gives a nice feel, didnt get any Interior Photographs.

View attachment 115014View attachment 115015

SahilInfra.
I went to andheri from thane today and the roads throughout were excellent didn't experience many potholes

Rxbanda

Country flag
@Haldilal
sometime back nitin gadkari mentioned about cement cartel in India. was this solved?
Can you please post the cement prices trend and which companies are involved in the cartel?

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

The KonkanRailway.

The workers-engineers who lost their lives during the construction of are honored on 14th October. The Sanjay Gupta, Managing Director of The Konkan Railway, laid a wreath at the Shramshakti Memorial in front of Ratnagiri Station.

FBpnpC9VcAElG4o.jpeg
FBpnpt6VkAAT_mo.jpeg
FBpnqecVcAAcU2W.jpeg
FBpnrPJUUAMFZUr.jpeg

Haldilal

Country flag
@Haldilal
sometime back nitin gadkari mentioned about cement cartel in India. was this solved?
Can you please post the cement prices trend and which companies are involved in the cartel?
Ya'll Nibbiars yeah some what partially.

IndianYonko

Country flag
I am born in Bihar, brought up in Jharkhand and in Bangalore for over a decade. I agree with what he is saying.
We northies in general lack civic sense a bit.
Born, brought, based in bihar and this civic stuff is bullshit.
In name of generaity, don't compare a random block of one state to random block from some other state. Poor part, I agree, we all know what reality is, but for market part, you cannot compare a daily wage worker with 10 days/month job to some rich/middle class person with stable income. Their needs, shopping behaviour will vary and based on that market will look, feel different too.

Why one is poor and why one is rich is different story altogether.

Just a caution, by putting forward such notions we are putting different values to different communities
======================/===================

Circling back to the core engineering jobs discussion
Basic reason is, boom in these field requires training not innovation, most of jobs in these fields can be done by students from normal colleges, so why would they hire from top colleges and pay big salary.

This phenomenon has impacted everyone even iitb.
Story is different if you switch to IT. Saw during placement season last year, companies paying 30lpa+ ctc were struggling to get students. And they did multiple rounds to campus. And situation was inverse for Mech, Civil etc branch.

Haldilal

Country flag
I went to andheri from thane today and the roads throughout were excellent didn't experience many potholes
Ya'll Nibbiars Kabhi Ana Thane ke Service Roads pe if you don't get any roller coaster ride then tell me.

here2where

Population of Kochi is much lower than cties like Patna , Jaipur , Indore , Lucknow still it’s ranked above these cities
Population has nothing to do with purchasing power. It is the per capita income per family that matters. Kerala is wealthy. Massive foreign remittances from ME and First World.

FYI - Kochi is more expensive to live and more cosmopolitan than Bangalore.

Surprised?

Rxbanda

Country flag
Excellent thread on the Global Hunger Index:

India is a hungry country, shame on PM Modi - a thread The Global Hunger Index (GHI) launched on Thursday ranked India at 101 position out of a total 116 countries. India is also among the 31 countries where hunger has been identified as serious.

So is #GHI a UN curated list? Is it an international body? Umm no, GHI is an index created by a non-profit organization named International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). It was established only in 2006.

So how is the so called hunger index calculated? The GHI is calculated on four parameters: 1) Undernourishment: calculated by the share of the population whose caloric intake is insufficient.
2) Child Wasting: Kids who have low weight for their height 3) Child Stunting: Kids who have low height for their age 4) Child Mortality: It is calculated by the mortality rate of children under the age of five.
Components 1 and 4 have 33.33% weight and 16.66% weight is attached to components 2 and 3. Does the GHI actually represent hunger situation in India? no. No. NO. A BIG NO.

GHI is classic distortion of data. Firstly, It enforces western standards on Indian population. And secondly it’s more of an incomplete health index of sorts and not a hunger index, as only 1 out of 4 parameters actually deals with hunger.

Coming back to the core parameters, Child Wasting and Child Stunting aren’t based on a universal standard but on weight and height as per western parameters.

Forget kids, the height and weight of even Indian adults are lower than that of the people in the west. but does that mean Indians are malnourished?

Weight and height of children are not solely determined by food intake but are an outcome genetics, the environment, sanitation and much more.

Moreover, GHI is primarily concerned with the child’s health, it excludes 90 per cent of India’s population which is above the age of five. So, GHI is an index that gives majority weightage to India’s minority population. Does that represent hunger situation in India? No.

The menace of undernourished population has been already addressed with the Public Distribution System (PDS). More than 70 per cent of India is covered under National Food Security. There are leakages that the government needs to fix.

Most of the deaths of the children under the age of five has nothing to do with hunger and malnourishment. Child mortality has consistently declined in India in the last two decades. However India keeps falling in the GHI rankings.

Funny thing is that Cuba that suffered massive food crisis this year is in top 10 countries as per GHI. Indian media should stop following the GHI and sensationalising a mindless index which only exists to earn charity and donation money. #HungerIndex

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
@Haldilal
Cement companies work in a cartel is an open fact. I used to work in cement industry 2008 to 2010. Even in that time, i used to see my seniors speaking to their competitor counterparts to discuss price trends. They also used to have an approximation of production estimates (of competitors), so could fix prices accordingly.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
GOI should pay TATA for buying Airindia ... I am sure every PSU is functioning like this .. This explains our poverty and lack of industrialization for 70 yrs .
Then also bailout every year to pay for the clusterfuck by coomers. Clearly trade unions is bunch of shietheads who have never read a book in their entire lives nor paid a penny in taxes are nothing but a burden. Soviet industry minister nikita kruschev? warned nehru and reminded him is heaviest retard.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars

How high a fuel price is really high? And how much is a fair price, in everyone's opinion? And if the demand is inelastic whatever be the price, how can we expect the government to reduce prices? Leave alone the fuel offtake, is the sale of vehicles dropping as a result of petrol price? At least if that happens, there will be a pressure from auto manufacturers lobby on the government.

In my opinion a fair price will be Rs 25 per litre. Are we going to get at that price, whichever government is in power? If not, how does it matter if it is 97 rupees or 103 rupees? They will make a cosmetic reduction of a few rupees from time to time, but in general the prices will move north constantly. The alternative is to reduce usage of personal transportation and use more public transport. Currently the pandemic prevents me from that, I still am not able to drum up enough courage to go back to it at least for a few days every week. Many must feel like me. That is the main reason the fuel offtake is still climbing.

To put things in perspective, when I bought my first Ind Suzuki bike in 1986, my monthly salary was a princely Rs 1000 per month. The bike @ Rs 16k cost me 16 months salary. Petrol was Rs 8 per litre. A full tank of 10 litres cost me Rs 80, or 8% of my monthly salary.

Presently a person joining in that same job today will start at about 25-30k. For argument's sake let us say he draws Rs 25k. A similar bike, let us say Splendor, will cost him Rs 65k. Which is not even 3 months salary. For 16 months salary he can buy an entry level car! And a full tank of 10 litres petrol for the bike will cost him Rs 1030, which is about 4% of his monthly salary. I am sure none of the members here will be making less than 25k every month.

So the good old days were not actually so good. Things always look rosy from a distant point in time! People have it much better now due to the expanded economy. We should accept fuel prices are never going to come down, and plan our epenses accordingly.

Gansan.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles