Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Bhurki

Ya'll Nibbiars BHEL won a deal of a total of 410 kWh Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) in three locality in Delhi. BHEL has a 1 MWh BESS at its R&D centre in Hyderabad. The system has three battery technologies: Li-ion, Advanced Lead-carbon & Flow batteries.

No disrespect, but is that really even a 'news'?
410kwh is equivalent to 4 tesla model s batteries.
And the contract cost is 2.5 crore ( $340k)

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
A new undersea optical cable named MIST cable system is coming up. It will connect Singapore, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand & India, delivering speeds of >216 Tbits/s. Construction of the ~8100km cable is going to be complete by Q3 of FY2022.

Haldilal

Country flag
Are nigga this is new part of technology being R&D by BHEL not just about a minor contract.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Energy storage is the next frontier.
Unlike tesla type car batteries, energy storage for homes/residential colonies/streets/cities need not be made of lithium they can be made from heavier elements like Iron as well. storage setup may weigh a ton, but since it is stationary it doesn't matter. couple this with solar, you have an off grid system, which reduce the load on coal power plants.

so this is a step in forward direction.

Bhurki

Energy storage is the next frontier.
Unlike tesla type car batteries, energy storage for homes/residential colonies/streets/cities need not be made of lithium they can be made from heavier elements like Iron as well. storage setup may weigh a ton, but since it is stationary it doesn't matter. couple this with solar, you have an off grid system, which reduce the load on coal power plants.

so this is a step in forward direction.
Its nothing different from a Tesla powerpack. (Retail price $172k for 232 KwH)

Haldilal

Country flag
Its nothing different from a Tesla powerpack. (Retail price $172k for 232 KwH)
Yes there is a difference Developed Reasrched and Made in India.

avknight1408

Country flag
My father retired from BHEL few months ago. The company is in terrible state. They are scraping through month by month barely managing to pay salaries. In the past few years they have been bidding for random projects just to keep its workforce employed.
Interesting fact - BHEL has receivables of around 40k crore. (i.e) state run discoms have not cleared their dues to the company even though they got its products. Sad state of affairs.
My thoughts - Unless BHEL undergoes privatization there is high probability that this company is next BSNL.

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag
My father retired from BHEL few months ago. The company is in terrible state. They are scraping through month by month barely managing to pay salaries. In the past few years they have been bidding for random projects just to keep its workforce employed.
Interesting fact - BHEL has receivables of around 40k crore. (i.e) state run discoms have not cleared their dues to the company even though they got its products. Sad state of affairs.
My thoughts - Unless BHEL undergoes privatization there is high probability that this company is next BSNL.
State run enterprises should be minimized. Private company and private industry maximized.

avknight1408

Country flag
Adani building a copper plant in Gujarat. Then there is one more coming up in Odisha I think. India copper import issue will be sorted out soon hopefully.
Overall it is loss for TN only. Sad to see loonie left run riot in my state.
Update on my earlier post.
Adani copper plant coming up in Mundra(GJ). Will be larger than Sterlite plant Thoothukudi. Annual capacity 1 MTPA
Check this -> EC PDF

Adani also building a massive cement plant in GJ. It is coming up in Kutch district on Indo-Pak border. Annual capacity 10 MTPA

Check this -> EC PDF

More advantage for Adani in cement sector. Their thermal plants produce byproduct Fly ash. This can also be used to make cement. In 10 years Adani will become one of the largest cement companies. Their growth in cement industry will be similar to JSW cement.

Haldilal

Country flag

Haldilal

Country flag
Me Knew its. :)

The Geat Leap Forward in the Digital Payments in India: UPI with 18 Billion transactions annually has surpassed Amex at 8 Billion. Amex,Visa and MasterCard are all decades old,but a 5 year old UPI has overtaken Amex & will definitely surpass Visa & MasterCard over the course of the next 3 years.

Haldilal

Country flag
@Haldilal do u think the Outlook of Developed nation on manufacturing sector will change with the COVI19 event?
Since Trump is bringing back jobs to US does that mean they are going to crackdown on the outsourcing culture of US Companies?
And will the companies be able to cope with it because still US min wage=7 Vs Chinese min wage=3.5.
After the Kung Fu virus the changes in the Worlds economy will not change that much this crises could have affected if it was accomplished by a much greater conflict but that is still far from over. The system has crashed but no given up so any changes will not have any immediate effect every country is affected.

No country can totally defend on the foreign capital or firms for growth. Still have to really on your own domestic investment maybe sometimes with the foreign help and productivety. The minimal wage is not the only factor in the cost. Land, Resources, productivity, wages, Skills, technology, automation, Infrastructures, Transport, every thing will have an effects on the final costs.

sorcerer

Country flag
Indian state refiners halt oil imports from Chinese companies

sorcerer

Country flag
Me Knew its. :)

The Geat Leap Forward in the Digital Payments in India: UPI with 18 Billion transactions annually has surpassed Amex at 8 Billion. Amex,Visa and MasterCard are all decades old,but a 5 year old UPI has overtaken Amex & will definitely surpass Visa & MasterCard over the course of the next 3 years.
@Haldilal
errrmmm...
long lost coujin of @Haldiram ?:confused1:

Haldilal

Country flag

Haldilal

Country flag
Me Knew it's. :)

Many years back a dhadpadya friend of mine was in need of a loan. It was a sizeable amount and me living off my CA stipend could not help him. Thankfully he belonged to a community which has strong bonding (so obviously wasn't a maharashtrian). Then he went to an elder who used to provide these loans to enterprising young men in the community.

The lender wanted the standard 2ppt/ month interest. But my friend was negotiating for 1ppt. After a long back and forth, my friend finally went to him saying look i can only pay 1.2ppt. He was sure his loan would be declined and this was more of a courtesy visit to a community elder. Surprisingly the elder gave him the loan. He told him the fact that you negotiated with me told me that you have a plan and a certain revenue model in your mind where only 1.2ppt makes business sense.

This in turn suggested to be that you intend to pay me back. Which is why you negotiated to a number that makes sense. Only People who dont know their revenue model (ie idiots...majority of the population) or those who dont intend to pay me back (ie crooks) wouldnt negotiate. I was convinced now that you were neither. Heres the money. When someone says he will give you x% return first ask yourself "how will he make that return, with what uncertainty?". Automatically you wont be fooled by teak wood scams ans multi level marketing scams.

Bhagwan Ucha.

Morale of the Story you need a Idea and Connection for Finances.

Note : This is not my story.

Haldilal

Country flag
Me Knew Its :)

Ethanol

India needs to produce an additional 1,320 million tonnes (mt) of sugarcane, requiring 348 billion cubic metres of water and 19 million hectares of land. This encouraging more consumption of ‘empty-calorie’ sugar through public distribution system, this would lead to plummeting of global sugar prices, requiring the government to shell out more to subsidise Indian sugar, In 2018-19, India produced 2.4 bl of ethanol and 93 per cent came from B and C molasses. Producing ethanol from sugarcane juice instead of molasses can help India meet its nutrition requirements and make resources like land and water more sustainable. A national biofuel policy that encourages ethanol production from sugarcane juice will help free up land and irrigation water, allowing for the cultivation of food crops that are rich in micro-nutrients.

images (5).png

India’s biofuel policy only recently allowed the use of sugarcane juice in ethanol production, in addition to molasses, the study pointed out. “If the energy industry continues to use molasses as the bioethanol feedstock to meet its target, it would require additional water and land resources and result in the production of extra sugar,”. The new Fair and Remunerative Price (FRP) for sugarcane announced by the government will increase the cost of sugar production. But sugar mills can improve cash liquidity by diverting additional cane for ethanol production as OMCs have committed to buy entire ethanol in the next five years at a prefixed rate. ethanol production capacity in the country has increased to over 375-400 crore litres. The government is targeting an ethanol production and supply target of 300-350 crore litres in 2020-21, and achieving 7.5-8 per cent ethanol blend levels with petrol.

images (6).png

The agreement, which came out of a government-chaired stakeholder meeting on 21 August, is one of a string of measures aimed at enhancing ethanol production capacity and boosting its blending ratio with gasoline under India's Ethanol Blended with Petrol programme (EBP). It also seeks to address the sugar industry's viability by enabling more mills to manufacture the higher value product.

images (32).jpeg

Banks under the new mechanism will hold oil companies' payments in escrow until sugar mills supply contracted fuel ethanol volumes. This will reduce risks of lending the 186bn rupees ($2.5bn) in soft loans already approved in principle to 362 projects for enhancing or setting up ethanol distilleries and boosting production capacity by 6bn l. The government will bear Rs40bn in interest subsidies for five years. Refiners need to blend over 4bn l/yr of ethanol to meet the E10 target, which the Indian government aims to achieve by 2022. This December 2019-November 2020 ethanol supply year should see 1.9bn-2bn l blended against 1.89bn l in the previous supply year. Only 64 projects representing 1.65bn l of potential ethanol capacity growth had been fully sanctioned for loans without the help of the new finance mechanism.

images (7).png

Indian oil companies on 12 August also proposed a five-year expression of interest (EOI) to enroll bidders to supply around 25.6bn l of fuel ethanol from 1 December 2020 until 30 November 2025. Enrollment as a long-term supplier aims to streamline the tender process and cut down the time mills and distillers spend on repeat paper work. Oil companies forecast a year-on-year increase to 5.8bn l of fuel ethanol during December 2024-November 2025 from 4.65bn l in December 2020-November 2021. But tenders will still be issued and bid each year before the start of each ethanol supply year. The five-year EOI, which closes on 2 September, reiterated that only domestic sources may supply ethanol from domestic feedstock for gasoline blending under India's EBP. The government is using penalties as well as incentives to hasten the switch to ethanol from sugar production. India's Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs said on 19 August it will increase the price mills must remunerate sugarcane growers for the October 2020-September 2021 sugar supply year. Mills will pay Rs285 rupees/quintal ($38/t) for a basic recovery rate of 10pc, up from Rs275/quintal in the current supply year.

India's sugar mills had accumulated sugarcane price arrears totalling $2.74bn as of 20 March 2020, according to government data, largely because of a sugar glut and depressed prices following oversupply during the 2017-2018 and 2018-2019 sugar supply years. The government supports advancing the EBP as a means to stabilise returns for mills and sugarcane growers, as well as enhance energy sovereignty and reduce transport emissions.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles