Indian Economy: News and Discussion

Crazywithmath

Country flag
Will we see overcapacity and deflation?

This is why major importers are setting up barriers to curb cheap chinese exports; serves them right imo - ultimately it is their fault for creating this unsustainable unhealthy policy mess that requires the commie government to periodically subsidise large scale manufacturing in order to export the fuck out to avert a full blown crisis. This is also why your post about letting chinese manufacturers in makes little sense; GoI shd absolufuckingly fight tooth and nail to curb chinese imports (from finished products to intermediates to inputs to raw materials; gradually in that order) or at least force JVs on them wherever some amount of chinese presence is felt necessary - WTO is dysfunctional; about time someone adopts the chinese playbook from the '80s.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
View attachment 230462
To whosoever who doesnt believe in India's manufacturing story.
He's an NRI coolie like that pseudo RW Ganeshhh chap online. Deng did the work for future growth, what Modi is doing now. He may not be in office to witness it, but it will happen.

NutCracker

Country flag
This is why major importers are setting up barriers to curb cheap chinese exports; serves them right imo - ultimately it is their fault for creating this unsustainable unhealthy policy mess that requires the commie government to periodically subsidise large scale manufacturing in order to export the fuck out to avert a full blown crisis. This is also why your post about letting chinese manufacturers in makes little sense; GoI shd absolufuckingly fight tooth and nail to curb chinese imports (from finished products to intermediates to inputs to raw materials; gradually in that order) or at least force JVs on them wherever some amount of chinese presence is felt necessary - WTO is dysfunctional; about time someone adopts the chinese playbook from the '80s.
Chicom dumping picks up speed by the end of every year

Ignore clickbait thumbnail

Crazywithmath

Country flag
"We are against freebies"
Also centre:

gobhi hai to pumpkin hai
Why is this bad? GoI's fiscal health is better than ever; they can easily absorb it. With free food these folks can purchase meaningful products; in turn boosting (rural) consumption and fmcg sales. Also, significant in an election year... if NDA loses the election INC guys assume power and fiscal health goes down the drain....

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
This worries me a lot, and I've seen this happening across the country.

While I'm not a civil engineer, I wonder how a 10'' thick wall and a handful of pillars can support the load of a 10-15 storey structure. The main walls are even thinner. On top of that, substandard rebars, concrete, and sand are being used. What's even more concerning is that in many cities, all this apartment construction is happening near river banks.

You are confusing two different types of construction. One is foundation based and another one is Column and Beams.

If you are structure relies on the Foundation as support then walls needs to strong enough to withstand. But Column and Beam construction the stress members are these only. Walls do not act as support member.

Again contractors are skimping quality in everything like wall packing, plumbing, electricals. That is why lot of them shit tier.

Recently in Chennai, Townships were sold without even having proper sewage disposal connection, Waste management. Not a small one. Nearly 25K-30K Houses. You can see the corruption in every level to allow construction and selling of houses without critical things.

Rango

Country flag
The world's largest retailer shipped one quarter of its U.S. imports from India between January and August this year. That compared with just 2% in 2018.

Two years later, it committed to import $10 billion of goods from India each year by 2027. That is a target it remains on track to hit, Albright said. It is currently importing around $3 billion worth of goods from India each year.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Bonfiglioli Transmissions Assembly Facility, Pune.

GAHLv9Ja8AANRXm.jpeg

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Tata Power to start work on two pumped hydro projects in Maharashtra by mid 2024 MoU signed in August 2023 between GoM and Tata for the development of a 1,800 MW of pumped hydro storage plant PSP at Shirawata in Pune district and a 1,000 MW PSP at Bhivpuri in Raigad district. Investment: 13,000 crore rupees. The company has planned a capex of around 60,000 Crore rupees till FY2027.

GAJ128VXIAEGWpn.jpeg

Reactions: SKC

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Coca Cola to invest 1,500 crore in greenfield manufacturing facility at MIDC Lote Parshuram in the district of Ratnagiri in the state of Maharashtra. One of the most advance and high-tech facilities in India.

images.jpg

Kumata

Country flag
Does CPWD still construct flats for Central Govt. staff quarters, offices & sundry other projects?
No. It is subcontracted to private players.. I just picked up one such 3 BHK and it is build by a Pvt contractor. construction is good to the naked eye and spacious flats with closed kitchen ...

Flats are 4-5 years old construction .. think that's enough time to see if they will hold in long run or not.. moreover these are certified for quality by a 3rd party guys and engg college..

another_armchair

Country flag
No. It is subcontracted to private players.. I just picked up one such 3 BHK and it is build by a Pvt contractor. construction is good to the naked eye and spacious flats with closed kitchen ...

Flats are 4-5 years old construction .. think that's enough time to see if they will hold in long run or not.. moreover these are certified for quality by a 3rd party guys and engg college..
I know CPWD works with sub contractors but the supervision and final acceptance is still under their control so the quality was still better than some local state govt. run project which would be absolutely shit standard.

Last edited:

Azaad

Country flag
View attachment 230545
One more company enters in semiconductor packaging, assembling and testing sector.
5th company
~
Micron
Sahasra
Tata
Murgappa group
And now HCL tech.
For the life of me I've never understood why haven't our IT super stars like TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Tech Mahindra, HCL etc transcend their body shopping cyber coolie model into core S/W development or branch out into allied & not so aligned fields like how HCL is finally doing.

Their business model is past it's heydays & will increasingly face competition from their own employees who'd split from the parent co in groups & take control of accounts in the not so distant future .

Contract mfg or offshore contracting in many ways is a hi volume low profit business model & while a Foxtron may be difficult to emulate given the high entry barriers in terms of sheer investment involved , these entry barriers in the body shopping cyber coolie biz is no longer as formidable as it was a decade or even half a decade ago.

These Indian companies need a different biz model else they'd find it difficult to THRIVE not SURVIVE in the near to mid term future.

Perhaps people associated with this industry can shed light on the points I've raised elaborate on it & include points which I've neglected to add

Global Defence

New threads

Articles