Indian Economy: News and Discussion

NutCracker

Country flag
@FalconSlayers was absolutely correct about his PPP assertion. I don't know why he deleted his post though.

The tweet was fine till the valuation part. How did Uttkarsh arrive at a valuation of $1.9 billion for Jio?
I think that tweet had lots of fallacies.
Data cost in US is around 1$/GB unlike 450INR said in tweet.

Also Xfinity and Jio's userbase comparison was also wrong. Both have different organisational structure and operate in different segment.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The World's largest Diamond, Gold and Jewelry Park at Mahape, Navi Mumbai.

Ya'll Nibbiars this will alone will increase our Manufacturing exports by atleast 12 billion dollars annually. And After this park The loss of gold dust is reduce from 10 to 2 percent. Approx 40 ton gold may be save per year. That's more than 20,000 crore.

Last edited:

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Vishwaguru moment, typical delays, delays, more delays, even more delays. Thats why manufacturing in India is difficult. Governments aren't cooperative.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The LG ELECTRONICS INDIA is going to invest about 300 crore rupees on components for air-conditioners, including 100 crore rupees for manufacturing of compressors at Pune, as part of the production linked incentive PLI program of the government.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Digital India. Indian Barnegat Supa pawa.

:troll:

About 8.6 percent of population between the ages of 15 to 29 say they can create online presentations.

FsNsLamXgAAPb6h.jpeg

Sayman Ame

Country flag

The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has constituted a nine-member task force to make India a ‘product developer and manufacturing nation’, marking another step in the country’s efforts to position itself as an alternative to the likes of China and Vietnam.

The task force will be chaired by additional secretary (MeitY), Bhuvnesh Kumar with joint secretary (electronics), Amitesh Kumar Sinha as the member convenor. ET has reviewed a copy of the circular, dated March 23.

The task force includes veterans of the electronics industry in India such as Ajai Chowdhry, founder, HCL, Sunil Vachani, chairman, Dixon Technologies, Hari Om Rai, chairman, Lava International, Vivek Bansal, President Engineering, VVDN, Aman Gupta, co-founder, Boat Lifestyle, Sanjay Nayak, managing director, Tejas Networks, and Vivek Tyagi, Chairperson, IESA (India Electronics and Semiconductor Association).

According to the circular shared with the task force members, the task force will be submitting their recommendations in two months.

While the circular does not go into the details of the mission, it says the task force will be deliberating on how to propel India to be a product developer and manufacturer nation.

Industry executives in the know said the task force will look at deepening the domestic value addition in electronics manufacturing and charting the local production story beyond the ambitious production-linked incentive (PLI) scheme.

The government has been running a Rs 36,000-crore PLI scheme for smartphone manufacturing since 2020. The scheme, now in its third year, has attracted global manufacturing firms such as the Apple contact manufacturer Foxconn, Wistron and Pegatron, and Korea’s Samsung, along with Indian firms such as Dixon Technologies, Lava International and more.

The aim of the scheme is to convert India into a smartphone manufacturing hub by weaning away global manufacturers from China and Vietnam to feed the domestic demand and increase exports.

"As I understand, the objective will be to increase electronics manufacturing with higher value addition," an executive in the know told ET. "While the PLI scheme gave a big push to mobile phone assembly in India, the value addition is low. Job creation has also been primarily of assembly line workers".

Local value addition by the end of this financial year is expected at around 25%, as per an ICEA and ICRIER report.

The government should now look at a scheme that encourages the design of the equipment in India, procure the components, and then do full manufacturing here, the executive said, adding that the government should encourage the chip design ecosystem to participate and create high paying jobs.

Sayman Ame

Country flag
, Aman Gupta, co-founder, Boat Lifestyle, Sanjay Nayak, managing director, Tejas Networks, and Vivek Tyagi, Chairperson, IESA (India Electronics and Semiconductor Association).

According to the circular shared with the task force members, the task force will be submitting their recommendations in two months.
> Be me
> Be a Task Force in India made of Bureaucrats and Industry Experts
> See that there's already a bureaucracy exclusive for policy making that takes in inputs from relevant industry associations
> See that there's already electronics associations like AIEA that put out regular reports on needs and wants of the Industry.
> question my existence
> insert jacky_chan_confused.jpg
> Realize that bureaucracy is just glorified file pushers that rank in decreasing order of Dahej score
> But carry on living anyway because...Papa Mudi
> Come out with recommendation after 5 extensions
> insert dexter_laboratory_i_have_failed_you.jpg
> See myself buried under 100 such other committee report lying on Babu's desk.
> sad_wojak.jpg (no nirvana for me)
> Be reborn in 5 years when manufacturing is still hovering at the same level as it did in 2014.

SKC

Country flag
Anyone with sufficient resources can built their own Chat client using OpenAI libraries. ChatGPT is not the only one. There are so many already.

Govt needs to fund just few groups in major Tech universities and colleges and behold you will have your chat client built on OpenAI.

fooLIam

I don’t think what worked for Chinese in becoming manufacturing powerhouse that is FDI and technical assistance from west and their allies will work for India either. Instead goverment should works like korea and Japan where guys took some old technology from west and worked on them for multiple generational products simultaneously for high spectrum of products or some other different holistic approach.
First of all no Indian goverment is interested in low cost ,labour intensive products or buisness like textiles,shoes etc . Go to Walmart and Amazon and all such day to day consumable products are from china.
I was searching for car Tyer inflator and none was from india.
It’s high time some administration reforms be done. So that their babus career depends on how much business and technology they bring in. them become moderately expensive easy when they don’t delivere

AK047

Country flag
Anyone with sufficient resources can built their own Chat client using OpenAI libraries. ChatGPT is not the only one. There are so many already.

Govt needs to fund just few groups in major Tech universities and colleges and behold you will have your chat client built on OpenAI.
To build a platform like ChatGPT Government needs access to huge amounts of data which is something the Government doesn't lack.

Haldilal

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The World's largest Diamond, Gold and Jewelry Park at Mahape, Navi Mumbai.

Ya'll Nibbiars Now also Available on Audio.

:)

fooLIam

I don’t think what worked for Chinese in becoming manufacturing powerhouse that is FDI and technical assistance from west and their allies will work for India either. Instead goverment should works like korea and Japan where guys took some old technology from west and worked on them for multiple generational products simultaneously for high spectrum of products or some other different holistic approach.
First of all no Indian goverment is interested in low cost ,labour intensive products or buisness like textiles,shoes etc . Go to Walmart and Amazon and all such day to day consumable products are from china.
It’s high time some administration reforms be done. So that their babus career depends on how much business and technology they bring in. them become moderately expensive easy when they don’t delivere
Correction: “and make it moderately easy to fire when don’t deliver.”

sameer3694

That kind of stuff is typically manufactured by MSME's. Unfortunately, they've always suffered in India primarily due to Babudom and permit raj. All Center, State as well as local governments are responsible. Rent seeking feudal mentality runs very deep.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles