Indian Economy: News and Discussion

vishnugupt

Country flag
Can't stop fanboying over RBI Governor. Dude's a legend. Does an MA in History, aces a job profile that's totally out of syllabus. (meanwhile, the US seems to be writing post-dated cheques to itself on its fall from the supremacy table).
I can remember very vividly, during Pandemic recession, Nobel prize winners Economist Benergee in his interview suggested that RBI should start printing huge money without following minimum reserve criteria or without worrying about debt.

Everyone knows economics except Economists (Mare muh ke MC)

sameer3694

Walmart is in talks with leading Indian electronics contract manufacturers to procure white label electronic products such as IT hardware, mobile accessories, wearables and more, to sell them in the US under its sub-brands.

Several industry executives familiar with the matter told ET that manufacturers such as Dixon Technologies and Optiemus Electronics are in the fray for orders amidst the US retail major’s drive to shift sourcing, especially on the electronics side, to India.

“They have been scouting a lot in India to figure out what the capabilities of the manufacturers are,” one of the executives, who did not wish to be named, told ET. Walmart, which owns majority stakes in Flipkart and PhonePe, is looking to source a wide range of products such as cables, chargers, screen protectors, home appliances, hearables, wearables, tablets, laptops, and lighting.

Employees of Walmart have met multiple contract manufacturers, inquiring about their capacities, processes, and testing methods, the executive said.

Last edited:

Crazywithmath

Country flag
I am reading the full world happiness index to go through their methodology. Will post my analysis later. But one thing that stuck out to me was that Liberia is ranked higher than India in Happiness. Yes, this Liberia:

Most such indices published by random US state dept and/or EU funded NGOs are utter BS prepared by jobless social science jhollachaaps using voodoo data from opaque sources. How on earth can one make this shit up?

BhumiPutra627

Guys what's up with TATAs lately.

They plan on starting EV battery manufacturing plant in Europe. When we in India are the ones, in critical need of such manufacturing facility.

They are also starting green hydrogen based steel manufacturing process in their European plant.

Some time back the TATAs were hounded upon by our commerce minister for increasing our steal imports by deliberately importing from their European subsidiary.

I would like to believe that it is because, the technology is more readily available in Europe & it would be easier to implement that in India, after they have acquired it in Europe.

But a part of me also feels it could just be some selfish MNC strategy & India has nothing to gain from this transaction. Who knows what are they really upto.

Last edited:

karn

Country flag

They plan on starting EV battery manufacturing plant in Europe. When we in India are the ones, in critical need of such manufacturing facility.

They are also starting green hydrogen based steel manufacturing process in their European plant.

Some time back the TATAs were hounded upon by our commerce minister for increasing our steal imports by deliberately importing from their European subsidiary.

I would like to believe that it is because, the technology is more readily available in Europe & it would be easier to implement that in India, after they have acquired it in Europe.

But a part of me also feels it could just be some selfish MNC strategy & India has nothing to gain from this transaction. Who knows what are they really upto.
Already discussed a few pages back .. This is for jaguar and Land rover. But yes this is an L for our economy.

BhumiPutra627

Already discussed a few pages back .. This is for jaguar and Land rover. But yes this is an L for our economy.
Some how even after Indian companies owning European firms. And Indians running Big tech companies in US.

The locus of tech & innovation driven growth stays in Europe & US. The trickle down effect is too little to help our economy in any way.

karn

Country flag
Some how even after Indian companies owning European firms. And Indians running Big tech companies in US.

The locus of tech & innovation driven growth stays in Europe & US. The trickle down effect is too little to help our economy in any way.
Here capital is the factor unfortunately.
And trickle down is too low? Bruh this industry holds our CAD intact. Without it we would be in the same situation as our neighbours.
And never forget "Indian Americans" are just americans.

Last edited:

BhumiPutra627

Here capital is the factor unfortunately.
And trickle down is too low? Bruh this industry holds our CAD intact. Without it we would be in the same situation as our neighbours.
I mean I would much prefer additional merchandise trade of 100 billion $ every year.

Than 100 billion $ remittance every year, because remittance isn't permanent.

If TATAs shun their global expansion dreams & focus more on increasing their Indian manufacturing capacity.

We would get a Trade surplus faster.

karn

Country flag
I mean I would much prefer additional merchandise trade of 100 billion $ every year.

Than 100 billion $ remittance every year, because remittance isn't permanent.

If TATAs shun their global expansion dreams & focus more on increasing their Indian manufacturing capacity.

We would get a Trade surplus faster.
No disagreement.. We all want our merchandise exports to increase . But let us appreciate what we have.
This TATA stuff I will have to read more on .. It is weird that they are putting money into a stagnating economy.

IndianHawk

Country flag

They are being subsidized by European governments for these .
As always follow the money.

karn

Country flag

They are being subsidized by European governments for these .
As always follow the money.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

The subsidy they get from their govt is not provided here
All I can say is their future ev which they will sell in India will have batteries from their European plant bcoz as far as I searched I didn't get anywhere that they are setting any battery manufacturing plant here
Govt should look otherwise it might go along one of the missed opportunities

BhumiPutra627

The subsidy they get from their govt is not provided here
All I can say is their future ev which they will sell in India will have batteries from their European plant bcoz as far as I searched I didn't get anywhere that they are setting any battery manufacturing plant here
Govt should look otherwise it might go along one of the missed opportunities
The present EV makers are all importing battery & motors from China. It makes sense because the sales are very low for now.

But I am really rooting to Ola electic. They have been cleared for PLI incentives for manufacturing Li-ion cells of up to 20GWh capacity.

They have a great R&D facility as well. If they managed to make a good product. They can be profitable even in B to B business, selling their batteries to car makes like TATA or Mahindra.

I am sure the government wouldn't hesitate to raise the import duty (as in the case with speciality steel) once we get the required manufacturing capacity of Li-Battery.

Last edited:

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The present EV makers are all importing battery & motors from China. It makes sense because the sales are very low for now.

But I am really rooting to Ola electic. They have been cleared for PLI incentives for manufacturing Li-ion cells of up to 20GWh capacity.

They have a great R&D facility as well. If they managed to make a good product. They can be profitable even in B to B business, selling their batteries to car makes like TATA or Mahindra.

I am sure the government wouldn't hesitate to raise the import duty (as in the case with speciality steel) once we get the required manufacturing capacity of Li-Battery.
Tata is definitely playing here for more incentives or has some other interest
They can make those here and then put it those in range rover

skunk works

Country flag
I am reading the full world happiness index to go through their methodology. Will post my analysis later. But one thing that stuck out to me was that Liberia is ranked higher than India in Happiness. Yes, this Liberia:

Isn't it a war zone with highest incidence of HIV? I may be wrong because I got my idea of liberia from Nicolas Cage's Lord of War.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles