Indian Coast Guard Dornier Aircraft.

Jameson Emoni

I know we are stuck on turbofan as is evident from Kaverio saga. We seem to be doing fine in turboshaft area because we are building somewhat good helicopters. How are we doing on turboprops? Were the turboprop engines on this plane made in India or just the fuselage?

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
An good option for 19 seater civilian aircraft instead of SARAS. Not sure on the amount of indigenous content in Dornier though and hope its not a TATRA saga mired in corruption.

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Best part of this Dornier 228 is that it is made In India but I am always curious about one thing and that it is : how Indigenous is Dornier 228 exactly? I know that HAL had acquired a licence for these Aircrafts in 1983? But how Indigenous is this Aircraft exactly? Do we still source parts from outside? Than what parts do we source from outside?

Super Flanker

Country flag
What is this black Structure below the fuselage of the Aircraft? Is it some sort of sensor or Radar or something?
IMG_20220108_092912.jpg

Super Flanker

Country flag
Indian Coast guard Operates around 36 Dornier Aircrafts though. Seems to be pretty good for Export to small countries like Vietnam, Phillipines etc.
ICG-training-DSC_6134.png

Radar for sea scanning.... Check other marine aircraft (P8I etc), they have similar structures to house it too.
Could you point out to such a structure on the P8I? Because I have just checked the pictures of these Aircrafts and have found no sort of structure like the one which is below the Dornier.

Covfefe

Country flag
Indian Coast guard Operates around 36 Dornier Aircrafts though. Seems to be pretty good for Export to small countries like Vietnam, Phillipines etc.
View attachment 130310

Could you point out to such a structure on the P8I? Because I have just checked the pictures of these Aircrafts and have found no sort of structure like the one which is below the Dornier.
P8I uses nose mounted radar, better to look in the I-star hump on the top. It's similar radar for SAR imaging (istar uses underbelly hump for EO pods)

Super Flanker

Country flag
Very beautiful ..
Yes indeed this is a very good looking Aircraft. This is actually my favourite colour scheme of the Dornier 228. I like the blue White colour combination, looks pretty beautiful Atleast to me!
P8I uses nose mounted radar, better to look in the I-star hump on the top. It's similar radar for SAR imaging (istar uses underbelly hump for EO pods)
IMG_20220108_094539.jpg
IMG_20220108_094459.jpg

Nose mounted Radar? So I guess this black projection or Structure is the Radar of the P-8I Aircraft of the Indian Navy. Thanks for pointing that out.

AVAST

Country flag
View attachment 130310

EL/M-2022

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles