Indian-born super lawyer Preet Bharara fired by Trump

OverLoad

Snake Eater
Preet Bharara achieved rock-star status in legal world through aggressive skewering of the corrupt

Washington: An Indian-born, New Jersey-raised Bruce Springsteen fan, former Manhattan federal attorney Preet Bharara ascended to rock-star status in the straitlaced world of law for his aggressive skewering of public corruption and Wall Street crime.

And staying true to style, the outspoken holdover from the Obama era refused to go quietly when the White House requested his resignation on Friday, forcing the Trump administration to fire him.

The federal attorney’s dismissal capped his arm wrestle with the executive branch that started when Bharara — perhaps the most high-profile US prosecutor in the nation — flouted the White House order that he along with dozens of other US prosecutors resign.
“I did not resign. Moments ago I was fired,” Bharara, 48, tweeted Saturday using his recently created personal account.

After former US President Barack Obama appointed him in 2009, Bharara had reigned over the high-profile Southern District of New York — which includes the Manhattan and Bronx boroughs as well as areas just north of the city — prosecuting corrupt public officials, gang kingpins, cyberhackers and terrorists.

The sapphire-eyed attorney took the helm of the prominent prosecutorial post in the throes of the mortgage crisis, becoming known as “the sheriff of Wall Street” for zealously pursuing white-collar criminals in wealthy Manhattan.

During his more than seven years at the powerful criminal justice perch he also became the scourge of New York lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle, notably taking down on federal corruption charges the former Democratic speaker of New York’s assembly as well as the former Republican majority leader of the state Senate.

‘Sorely missed’

Born in Punjab to a Sikh father and Hindu mother, Bharara arrived stateside at the age of two. After growing up in New Jersey he graduated from the prestigious Harvard University and later Columbia Law School.

Before Obama appointed him to the post he has held for the better part of a decade, Bharara served as chief counsel to New York Democrat Chuck Schumer, now the Senate Democratic leader, with whom he maintains friendly relations.

It is not uncommon for US presidents to clean house by replacing federal attorneys appointed by the previous administration, but the abruptness and scope of the Trump administration’s resignation demands raised eyebrows.

Bharara’s ouster came as a particular shock because the attorney had met with Trump shortly after his November election, and had said he agreed to remain in his position at Trump’s request — a seemingly bipartisan move Schumer had lauded.

“Preet Bharara was an excellent US attorney,” Schumer tweeted following Bharara’s firing. “He’ll be sorely missed.”

Bharara’s departure comes as his office was set to try former members of New York Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo’s administration for bribery and bid-rigging schemes. It also came amid a high-profile probe into the campaign fundraising efforts of New York City Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio and his aides.

Supercop

Still, Bharara leaves behind an impressive legacy of prosecuting South American cocaine barons, arms traffickers, antiques looters, corrupt police officers and bankers.

“Whether you are a street-level dealer, a member of a cartel, or the son of a former foreign president, drug dealing is drug dealing,” he said after the son of a former president of Honduras pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to import cocaine.

He is credited in the dismantling of violent Bronx street gangs and New York mafia clans. His triumphs also include recovering a purloined Stradivarius violin and returning stolen fossilized remains of dinosaur skeletons to Mongolia.

In March 2016 he oversaw the shock US arrest of Turkish-Iranian gold mogul Reza Zarrab, who was connected to a 2013 corruption scandal that ensnared the government of then premier, now president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The news of Zarrab’s arrest stunned Turkey and boosted Bharara to Twitter fame, as tens of thousands of Turkish admirers followed his account and lavished the federal prosecutor with praise.

One follower offered a smorgasbord of Turkish gifts: “Turkish raki, Shish Kebab, Lokuum, Turkish carpet. Just ask.”

“Well, I do love shish kebab but I don’t think I can accept gifts just for doing my job...” Bharara tweeted back.
http://gulfnews.com/news/americas/u...lawyer-preet-bharara-fired-by-trump-1.1992862

salute

its americans political or corporate affair about who they want to keep at the job or fire from the job ,
india got nothing to do with it ,
even if its indian american , it does not make any difference to india .

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
from what i understand this guy is pretty ambitious chap, he will be a democrat politician soon. we have not heard the last of this guy.

pringles

Preet Bharara achieved rock-star status in legal world through aggressive skewering of the corrupt

Washington: An Indian-born, New Jersey-raised Bruce Springsteen fan, former Manhattan federal attorney Preet Bharara ascended to rock-star status in the straitlaced world of law for his aggressive skewering of public corruption and Wall Street crime.

And staying true to style, the outspoken holdover from the Obama era refused to go quietly when the White House requested his resignation on Friday, forcing the Trump administration to fire him.

The federal attorney’s dismissal capped his arm wrestle with the executive branch that started when Bharara — perhaps the most high-profile US prosecutor in the nation — flouted the White House order that he along with dozens of other US prosecutors resign.
“I did not resign. Moments ago I was fired,” Bharara, 48, tweeted Saturday using his recently created personal account.

After former US President Barack Obama appointed him in 2009, Bharara had reigned over the high-profile Southern District of New York — which includes the Manhattan and Bronx boroughs as well as areas just north of the city — prosecuting corrupt public officials, gang kingpins, cyberhackers and terrorists.

The sapphire-eyed attorney took the helm of the prominent prosecutorial post in the throes of the mortgage crisis, becoming known as “the sheriff of Wall Street” for zealously pursuing white-collar criminals in wealthy Manhattan.

During his more than seven years at the powerful criminal justice perch he also became the scourge of New York lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle, notably taking down on federal corruption charges the former Democratic speaker of New York’s assembly as well as the former Republican majority leader of the state Senate.

‘Sorely missed’

Born in Punjab to a Sikh father and Hindu mother, Bharara arrived stateside at the age of two. After growing up in New Jersey he graduated from the prestigious Harvard University and later Columbia Law School.

Before Obama appointed him to the post he has held for the better part of a decade, Bharara served as chief counsel to New York Democrat Chuck Schumer, now the Senate Democratic leader, with whom he maintains friendly relations.

It is not uncommon for US presidents to clean house by replacing federal attorneys appointed by the previous administration, but the abruptness and scope of the Trump administration’s resignation demands raised eyebrows.

Bharara’s ouster came as a particular shock because the attorney had met with Trump shortly after his November election, and had said he agreed to remain in his position at Trump’s request — a seemingly bipartisan move Schumer had lauded.

“Preet Bharara was an excellent US attorney,” Schumer tweeted following Bharara’s firing. “He’ll be sorely missed.”

Bharara’s departure comes as his office was set to try former members of New York Democratic Governor Andrew Cuomo’s administration for bribery and bid-rigging schemes. It also came amid a high-profile probe into the campaign fundraising efforts of New York City Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio and his aides.

Supercop

Still, Bharara leaves behind an impressive legacy of prosecuting South American cocaine barons, arms traffickers, antiques looters, corrupt police officers and bankers.

“Whether you are a street-level dealer, a member of a cartel, or the son of a former foreign president, drug dealing is drug dealing,” he said after the son of a former president of Honduras pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to import cocaine.

He is credited in the dismantling of violent Bronx street gangs and New York mafia clans. His triumphs also include recovering a purloined Stradivarius violin and returning stolen fossilized remains of dinosaur skeletons to Mongolia.

In March 2016 he oversaw the shock US arrest of Turkish-Iranian gold mogul Reza Zarrab, who was connected to a 2013 corruption scandal that ensnared the government of then premier, now president, Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

The news of Zarrab’s arrest stunned Turkey and boosted Bharara to Twitter fame, as tens of thousands of Turkish admirers followed his account and lavished the federal prosecutor with praise.

One follower offered a smorgasbord of Turkish gifts: “Turkish raki, Shish Kebab, Lokuum, Turkish carpet. Just ask.”

“Well, I do love shish kebab but I don’t think I can accept gifts just for doing my job...” Bharara tweeted back.
http://gulfnews.com/news/americas/u...lawyer-preet-bharara-fired-by-trump-1.1992862
Ahh this Hindu hating poisonous snake. I guess the forum members are not aware of his track record.

pringles

For good or bad he was the state prosecutor in the Devyani case.

https://www.google.com/amp/m.ndtv.com
That's just one of the many cases he has. This is one India hater to the core. Just a basic google will reveal his long list of transgressions, here's the first search result I got, unfortunately it happens to be DailyMail but the information is accurate :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahom...-Preet-Bharara-scanner-targeting-Indians.html

Additional information : This gentleman is married to a Pakistani woman.

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag

vinuzap

this is a good news and may be done by indian lobby only

he is a hardcore india hater along with devyani a congressi family diplomat , failed to understand why outage on her

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
He was appointed by the previous govt. The govt changed and he got fired. Simple.

No big fuzz.

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

Compersion

Country flag
What he will be doing next will determine if he is a someone if not a headline chaser.

Berkut

Country flag
This guy was how you define a "sepoy".

Not sure if Dharmics should have sympathies for him

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Nikki Haley was promoted to UN ambassador, I don't think Trump has negative bais towards India.

I am otm shank

how was he a sepoy?

he prosecuted according to the law.

it shows the south Asian mindset that we disparage him for doing his job.people flock from all the world to live in a well governed land like America but have only negative things to say when a man like this 'sepoy' carries out the law exemplary..

Longewala

Country flag
how was he a sepoy?

it shows the south Asian mindset that we disparage him for doing his job.people flock from all the world to live in a well governed land like America but have only negative things to say when a man like this 'sepoy' carries out the law exemplary..
It shows the american mindset that they refuse to let their citizens stand trial in other countries and be punished after much more heinous crimes such as murder,
But talk about "law" when it suits them.

And do you think there are no whites committing insider trading or hiring illegal mexican maids?

But this scumbag wouldn't have the guts to go after them.

Longewala

Country flag
how was he a sepoy?

It shows the american mindset that they refuse to let their citizens stand trial in other countries and be punished after much more heinous crimes such as murder,

And do you think there are no whites committing insider trading or hiring illegal mexican maids?

I am otm shank

I can't comment on all his cases but people from the likes of Martha Stewart to Rupert Murdock have been prosecuted for insider trading and other crimes in America and the west. this man in particular has gone after wealthy drug dealers who have a lot of sway with the gora establishment. if you've lived in North America (or punjab) you know how much of a devastating impact drug peddlers have on all communities.

it's wrong for you to dismiss him and his morals because in your eyes he doesn't go after whites as much as you think he should. if you can find any misconduct by him against any of his cases pleases feel free to share.

Krusty

Country flag
Indian? He is as far from being 'indian' as an American barbecue cheeseburger is from masala dosa. I don't seem to get the obsession for using 'Indian born American' or 'Indian American'. Did people forget how bobby jindal spat on people's faces for calling him 'Indian American'? That's how most 'Indian Americans' feel about India. Like it or not.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles