Indian Automotive Sector

Blademaster

I live very near to himalayas...and the water stream behind my house is from one of those places...tell. me how many times have u seen that happening with your own eyes.. I stop believing in all bullshit dished out by media and Greta...
What part whereabouts? Indian reports say that the Himalayas are losing their glaciers faster than ever before based on satellite imaging and decrease of snowcap lines.

tommy

We have an Indian bunch of such techies related to ISRO, C-DAC & Deep Ocean Mission techies who didn't join DFI and run pure non political forums. They are great people but they just disgust political debate at all (probably why they are so cheerful).
Can you recommend some of those forum for non political purposes.

notaname

Country flag
How much of the vehicles sold in India are actually two wheelers or even 3 wheelers? You can safely say that it is most likely around 80% whereas in the other 9 markets, 70-80% of vehicles are passenger cars & vans.
Any data for this assertion?

SKC

Country flag
How much of the vehicles sold in India are actually two wheelers or even 3 wheelers? You can safely say that it is most likely around 80% whereas in the other 9 markets, 70-80% of vehicles are passenger cars & vans.
We produced over 4.5 Million Cars last year (domestic sale + exports).
Rest we have commercial vehicles from 3 wheelers to upto 20-22 wheels.

Kumata

Country flag
13.5M motorcycles were sold in India. Adding 4.3M cars to it makes it 76% motorcycles 24% passenger vehicles.
I believe 2 whellers sales have taken a hit off lately due to high inflation and stress in rural economy.

Blademaster

If you factor in two wheelers and three wheelers (mostly 2 wheelers) to the category, India emerges as the 2nd largest market. China still dominates all three categories by far, 26.5m in cars, 20.1m in two wheelers, & .5m in three wheelers, whereas India has 4.5m in cars, 13.5m in two wheelers, and .234m in three wheelers.

Kumata

Country flag
If you factor in two wheelers and three wheelers (mostly 2 wheelers) to the category, India emerges as the 2nd largest market. China still dominates all three categories by far, 26.5m in cars, 20.1m in two wheelers, & .5m in three wheelers, whereas India has 4.5m in cars, 13.5m in two wheelers, and .234m in three wheelers.
I dread the day when we start doing China numbers.. given the state of our road infra..

Bharatiya

Country flag
I dread the day when we start doing China numbers.. given the state of our road infra..
The ideal situation for India would be to go the japan way of maximum public transport. We could also save up a lot of oil that way and the roads would be easier to maintain. Cheap trains and metros will be crucial in this endeavor if we really dare to go that way.

thebakofbakchod

You have got it backwards. The precise reason why India's car sales is no where near China, nor seeing anywhere near the same growth is because of our abysmal road and highway infrastructure. (plus taxes) Car sales in many tier 1 cities have plateaued even though their incomes are rapidly growing. India's car sales will never grow anywhere near China's level unless the government starts to build planned layout cities like Noida and Chandigarh in every district.

thebakofbakchod

The ideal situation for India would be to go the japan way of maximum public transport. We could also save up a lot of oil that way and the roads would be easier to maintain. Cheap trains and metros will be crucial in this endeavor if we really dare to go that way.
You do realise that Japan, with a population 11x smaller than us and almost very mountainous terrain, has almost 10000km of expressways...

Most Japanese cities alos have an extensive urban expressway network. They are just more modest compared to the American and Chinese ones. We have another 90000+km of expressways alone to build before we can start talking about public transport.

Blademaster

You do realise that Japan, with a population 11x smaller than us and almost very mountainous terrain, has almost 10000km of expressways...

Most Japanese cities alos have an extensive urban expressway network. They are just more modest compared to the American and Chinese ones. We have another 90000+km of expressways alone to build before we can start talking about public transport.
Sorry I don't want to see India become a land of asphalt, concrete, and bitumen. We don't need that many expressway. We just need higher capacity expressways on our existing routes.

rockdog

Country flag
MIT article: How did China come to dominate the world of electric cars?

From generous government subsidies to support for lithium batteries, here are the keys to understanding how China managed to build a world-leading industry in electric vehicles.

... ...

srevster

Country flag

Japan has same population density per sq.km as India, so your argument doesn’t fly. But I agree, we need both express ways and better public transport

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles