Indian Automotive Sector

rockdog

Country flag

notaname

Country flag
Between guys ... A day before deepwali.. I booked My first car.. Ertiga ZXI AT ... Halda will not be happpy but within budget... i cud not find anything else which meets my requirement...
Congratulations man, Enjoy the happy and safe rides.
_______

Now I have got some questions if you are comfortable answering them.

How did you arrive at buying this car?
Why did you not choose other cars with better NCAP rating (means better than this one).
And what were the parameters you were considering while buying the car?

Concard

Country flag
BYD India targets 15,000 EV sales in 2023, to expand portfolio & network

If they are not making it in India then they forget about making a mark in Indian market. Indian auto market is difficult to break into. EV is a new thing for Indian consumers. Convincing them to buy a EV is a tall task without charging infrastructure.

Kumata

Country flag
Congratulations man, Enjoy the happy and safe rides.
_______

Now I have got some questions if you are comfortable answering them.

How did you arrive at buying this car?
Why did you not choose other cars with better NCAP rating (means better than this one).
And what were the parameters you were considering while buying the car?
No worries...My Primary requirement was -

Genuine Automatic (NO DCT / AMT's wannabes were considered )
Petrol (My Fiat / kwid currently travels 300 KMs when its time for service. )
After sales support.
People mover ( mine is joint family) & with kids growing up .. need good cargo space as well...

with a strict budget of 12 Lakhs...All i cud see in market was humble Jazz & Renault / nissan with first requirement being auto gearbox . Both renault & nissan were off due to last 2 points )

Jazz too do fell short on people mover but i was willing to compromise there... but jazz getting discontinued in march 23 most probably.. it was kicked out...

Finally, it was toss between ertiga & XL6 although i ended up stretching my budget by 2 Lakhs...Wife helped me with ertiag making more sense..moreover XL6, i was stretching myself by good 4 lakhs for base zeta variant...

NCPA rating did play but than i have money matters too in back of my mind....thats why i went for ZXI with option to go for ZXI + if i get some more mollah....

Butter Chicken

Country flag
If they are not making it in India then they forget about making a mark in Indian market. Indian auto market is difficult to break into. EV is a new thing for Indian consumers. Convincing them to buy a EV is a tall task without charging infrastructure.
Electric buses.....I think they have a joint venture or tech partnership with some Indian companies

notaname

Country flag
No worries...My Primary requirement was -

Genuine Automatic (NO DCT / AMT's wannabes were considered )
Petrol (My Fiat / kwid currently travels 300 KMs when its time for service. )
After sales support.
People mover ( mine is joint family) & with kids growing up .. need good cargo space as well...

with a strict budget of 12 Lakhs...All i cud see in market was humble Jazz & Renault / nissan with first requirement being auto gearbox . Both renault & nissan were off due to last 2 points )

Jazz too do fell short on people mover but i was willing to compromise there... but jazz getting discontinued in march 23 most probably.. it was kicked out...

Finally, it was toss between ertiga & XL6 although i ended up stretching my budget by 2 Lakhs...Wife helped me with ertiag making more sense..moreover XL6, i was stretching myself by good 4 lakhs for base zeta variant...

NCPA rating did play but than i have money matters too in back of my mind....thats why i went for ZXI with option to go for ZXI + if i get some more mollah....
Great, thanks for the answers, now got some points for me to lookout for next time I am in the showroom. :truestory:

Kumata

Country flag
Great, thanks for the answers, now got some points for me to lookout for next time I am in the showroom. :truestory:
key is to know what you want and work within those limitations. I started with humble Tiago courtesy @Haldilal billa but as I started researching.. I realised what I want....

I would have happily gone with Tata or mahindra but auto box was a no compromise for me... I was keen on altroz but she felt cramped.. May be due to being a Lower cabin height... than DCA in a Tata is not proven yet... mahindra... none of their cars are VFM.. over priced & full of niggles....

Blademaster

key is to know what you want and work within those limitations. I started with humble Tiago courtesy @Haldilal billa but as I started researching.. I realised what I want....

I would have happily gone with Tata or mahindra but auto box was a no compromise for me... I was keen on altroz but she felt cramped.. May be due to being a Lower cabin height... than DCA in a Tata is not proven yet... mahindra... none of their cars are VFM.. over priced & full of niggles....
All I know is that if I ever move back to India one day, I will get the modern version of Mahindra Scorpio. It wins hands down, no contest, for everything you need in India.

Kumata

Country flag
All I know is that if I ever move back to India one day, I will get the modern version of Mahindra Scorpio. It wins hands down, no contest, for everything you need in India.
If you have the moolah.. why not...

But

Problem with any mahindra product is never ending niggles ... I am a bit old school on vehicle mattters.. Prefer only as much tech as needed like airbags or ABS or hill hold or traction control...

At the end of day cars are mechanical devices...

Blademaster

If you have the moolah.. why not...

But

Problem with any mahindra product is never ending niggles ... I am a bit old school on vehicle mattters.. Prefer only as much tech as needed like airbags or ABS or hill hold or traction control...

At the end of day cars are mechanical devices...
How much does it cost in India? What matters to me is power and suspension for a nice smooth fast ride and ability to switch to 7 seats from 5 seats and back. Gas mileage takes a secondary importance.

Kumata

Country flag
How much does it cost in India? What matters to me is power and suspension for a nice smooth fast ride and ability to switch to 7 seats from 5 seats and back. Gas mileage takes a secondary importance.
It's a Ladder on frame SUV.... So Ride is not gonna be plush...

AnantS

Country flag
Fortuner KIA Carnival > Innova > Safari = XUV 700 would be better 7 seater(ordered in terms of comfort and price). South of 20 Lakhs, not many options. Ertiga, Kia Caren can seat 4-5 adult people Most of 7 seater vehicles rear seats are not meant for healthy relatively tall adults. They can only travel short distances. Last seat ideally for kids.

Blademaster

Fortuner KIA Carnival > Innova > Safari = XUV 700 would be better 7 seater(ordered in terms of comfort and price). South of 20 Lakhs, not many options. Ertiga, Kia Caren can seat 4-5 adult people Most of 7 seater vehicles rear seats are not meant for healthy relatively tall adults. They can only travel short distances. Last seat ideally for kids.
7 seats are only for emergency or small kids. Having 7 seat capacity ensures that when you have 5 people you have enough cargo space. I am more of a SUV type than a van. Vans are too boring and unsexy in my opinion.

SKC

Country flag
They are not even in same category and budget Bro!

Decide the car based on your requirement. Carnival is not mean for family use at all, it is a Business use MPV.

AnantS

Country flag
7 seats are only for emergency or small kids. Having 7 seat capacity ensures that when you have 5 people you have enough cargo space. I am more of a SUV type than a van. Vans are too boring and unsexy in my opinion.
Yea Man Thats an American speaking not you :D

SUV's are Pain in @.. in India. You know whats the fight in major cities is today? Parking. South Boston parking issues would seem to civil if you know how bloody fights breakout for parking in cities. And I am not just talking about in markets even at your home/flats. Most Indian town roads are narrow and overcrowded, such that a rickshaw a cycle a jaywalker, and person driving G Wagon would be travelling at same speed. With the person in G Wagon being more worried about the damage/fender bender. Here too trend is towards SUV. People are falling for Raised hatchbacks here called Compact SUV. Simply because current trend states it is cool to sit high and also to glide over pot holes without damage. Only true 4x4 South of 20 lakhs is Thar, Gurkha or upcoming Gypsy. You have AWD in avg engined new suzuki Vitara or toyota Hyryder . But thats strictly soft off roading.

PS: The original Compact SUV with 165/80 R15 tyres and 215mm Ground clearance 1.4 petrol or 1.5 diesel
:bplease::creepy:

1667399785770.png

Last edited:

AnantS

Country flag
They are not even in same category and budget Bro!

Decide the car based on your requirement. Carnival is not mean for family use at all, it is a Business use MPV.
I am suggesting cars to long teerm NRI(an American citizen). :D Its arranged for them.

Personally cant afford even hatchback.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Yea Man Thats an American speaking not you :D

SUV's are Pain in @.. in India. You know whats the fight in major cities is today? Parking. South Boston parking issues would seem to civil if you know how bloody fights breakout for parking in cities. And I am not just talking about in markets even at your home/flats. Most Indian town roads are narrow and overcrowded, such that a rickshaw a cycle a jaywalker, and person driving G Wagon would be travelling at same speed. With the person in G Wagon being more worried about the damage/fender bender. Here too trend is towards SUV. People are falling for Raised hatchbacks here called Compact SUV. Simply because current trend states it is cool to sit high and also to glide over pot holes without damage. Only true 4x4 South of 20 lakhs is Thar, Gurkha or upcoming Gypsy. You have AWD in

PS: The original Compact SUV with 165/80 R15 tyres and 215mm Ground clearance 1.4 petrol or 1.5 diesel
:bplease::creepy:

View attachment 180038
Ya'll Nibbiars with Tiago don't have to worry about the parking in Mumbai, and the pothole in the Belgaons.

AnantS

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars with Tiago don't have to worry about the parking in Mumbai, and the pothole in the Belgaons.
Tiago all good but in the end its based on old Indica platform. Too long in the tooth. I am glad in final iteration Tiago found acceptance. Otherwise Original Indica with independent suspensions had common complains on high tyre consumption. Also Tata cars are gamble. I mean they might improved quality. But they have to improve service levels. Indian car and bike manufacturers must implement good service. Its not the car itself but the type of service, service cost and service satisfaction - drives car sales. Precisely why Maruti rules the roost.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Tiago all good but in the end its based on old Indica platform. Too long in the tooth. I am glad in final iteration Tiago found acceptance. Otherwise Original Indica with independent suspensions had common complains on high tyre consumption. Also Tata cars are gamble. I mean they might improved quality. But they have to improve service levels. Indian car and bike manufacturers must implement good service. Its not the car itself but the type of service, service cost and service satisfaction - drives car sales. Precisely why Maruti rules the roost.
Ya'll Nibbiars

1 . The Quality is as good as any other competitors.

2 . The Suspensio is best in the class.

3 . The features outclassed any other models.

4 . And despite 3 cylinder engine the noise is low.

5 . The mileage is better.

6 . The pick up and acceleration is good

7 . The handling at all speed is better.

8 . The after sales service is now many times better than ever.

9 . The parking is ease.

10 . The engine is pretty goods.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles