Indian Army's new 7.62x51 mm IWI Negev LMG.

JBH22

So effectively -

1) 7 x Sig 716i + 1 x NG7 + 2 x CAR 816

2) 7 x AK 203 + 1 x OFB GPMG (?) + 2 x CAR 816
What about other weapon system such as Carl Gustav, UBGL or SVD rifles are they not distributed at section level?

So in essence the present and future composition is as under;
Existing Proposed
7 INSAS SIG/AK 203
1 BREN LMG NEGEV/OFB LMG
2 Sterling carbine CAR

But then its weird having assault rifle AK203 762x39 with LMG/AR 762x51

Alligator

Country flag
What about other weapon system such as Carl Gustav, UBGL or SVD rifles are they not distributed at section level?

Existing Proposed
7 INSAS SIG/AK 203
1 BREN LMG NEGEV/OFB LMG
2 Sterling carbine CAR

Carl Gustav is issued at company level
Ubgl would be issued to the grenadier in the section
Ak 203 is for support troops and RR only, NOT for frontline infantry

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Possibly 1 DMR and 1 Carl Gustav per Platoon. There is 1 maybe 2 UBGL per fire team. A section has 10 men so (4 man forward team + 6 man fire team)

We use BREN 7.62x51 mm with INSAS 5.56x45 mm.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Let's see if N7 is used as LMG or GPMG. Assuming it's used as LMG, then the requirement of our forces would be anything upto 1.2 to 1.5 lakhs. We would need atleast one LMG per Section of 10 soldiers. Higher issue does not make sense as soldiers will not be able to carry the ammo.

Off Course tripod mounted GPMG is issued at much lower level. I think something like 4 per Company. Though for static deployments, perhaps special additional issue are made.

Ghost68

@Raj Malhotra Ur estimates are wrong as you taken 1.3 million as base but remember not every soldier is in infantry some are in armored corps, some in artillery, they not need light machine guns. Infantry is around 3.5lac to 4lac so this number of LMGs ordered should be sufficient. We also have other LMGs already in service.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
There are around 400 infantry battalions in the army.You want around 80 LMGs per battalion.Thats around 32,000 LMG.This will cater for half the requirement.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
@Raj Malhotra Ur estimates are wrong as you taken 1.3 million as base but remember not every soldier is in infantry some are in armored corps, some in artillery, they not need light machine guns. Infantry is around 3.5lac to 4lac so this number of LMGs ordered should be sufficient. We also have other LMGs already in service.
My estimate is not wrong. I not considering requirement of only Army but "forces" which includes Para military, Central police, police, navy, air force, coast guard etc etc

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
My estimate is not wrong. I not considering requirement of only Army but "forces" which includes Para military, Central police, police, navy, air force, coast guard etc etc
Army does not procure weapons for these other services with its budget. If the other services want LMG's. they will need to place their own orders using their own budget.

Ghost68

Other service like CRPF will most probably go FOR indigenous gun as seen in recent purchases.

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag

Existing Proposed
7 INSAS SIG/AK 203
1 BREN LMG NEGEV/OFB LMG
2 Sterling carbine CAR

It's a crying shame and a sham that we are still using Bren ! I mean c'mon even your 3d rate banana republic Afrikan nations don't use them !

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Why are still using lmg, when we can purchase mini gun from market.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Why are still using lmg, when we can purchase mini gun from market.
Same reason every army uses LMG at squad level, while minigun was only used in Predator.
Because life isn't PUBG. Because they need to be able to make to with 100 round belt for more than 2.5 seconds. Also the collective recoil would be so much, you'd need gorillas to be machine gunners. Gatling guns are too complex and need battery power, gas-fed MMGs are simply more convenient even for mounted ones.

For someone who knows so little, you make an awful lot of expert comments!..

Last edited:

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Indian army section firepower is not enough.Ghatak and para sf at least should have 2 LMGs per 8-10 men as well as 1 DMR.Fire team and assault team is based on old ww2 british and german tactics,maybe time to switch to newer fireteam concept of usa?

What would be wait of bullets? Why not try to make a list of all equipment a soldier would carry & its weight.

Hydra3

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Same reason every army uses LMG at squad level, while minigun was only used in Predator.
Because life isn't PUBG. Because they need to be able to make to with 100 round belt for more than 2.5 seconds. Also the collective recoil would be so much, you'd need gorillas to be machine gunners. Gatling guns are too complex and need battery power, gas-fed MMGs are simply more convenient even for mounted ones.

For someone who knows so little, you make an awful lot of expert comments!..
Probability of hiting a target is increases with number of bullets fire on it. I know that its not cheap to operate and you too should know that, many countries are using miniguns.
Understand mr bleh bleh bleh

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles