Indian Army’s importance has diminished because of lack of wars in 40-50 years: Manohar Parrikar

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Indian Army’s importance has diminished because of lack of wars in 40-50 years: Manohar Parrikar

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Sunday said that Indian Army’s importance has gone down as it has not fought wars over the past 40-50 years, but was soon to clarify that he was not endorsing wars.

Parrikar made the comments at a conference on challenges and solutions regarding border safety issues in Jaipur.According to news reports, the Union Minister said that soldiers were facing ‘immense difficulties’ because ‘people’s respect for the Army has reduced during peacetime’.

“I have written to many chief ministers (over defence matters). Some have acted on it and at many places it (response) has ended. The primary reason for this is that we have not been to war for 40-50 years. I don’t mean to say that we should go to war. I mean to say that without war the Army’s importance has diminished.”

Apparently referring to the Army’s cross-border strikes in Myanmar following the killing of 18 soldiers in an ambush in Manipur, the minister said,” A recent incident has changed the national security scenario and there appears to be a change in the mindset of people.” Parrikar said national security may be endangered due to internal disturbances, which could be a result of “internally or externally created problems.”

He said external issues could pose a threat to national security as happened during the Bangaladesh liberation war in 1971 when people from that country crossed into India to escape “genocide”.

“External issues could be problematic to a nation as it happened in Bangladesh in 1971 when people had started moving to India due to genocide. Danger to India by external factors … I am not going into details… But it is permutation and combination of various factors,” he said.

He identified cyber crime as a new challenge for defence forces.

“Cyber attack or cyber terrorism poses a threat to border security. Now this border is not imaginary, you do not know where it starts from. But it can, if it gets converted into warfare,” he said.

He, however, ruled out any security threat due to hacking of defence websites as all vital information was cloud-based and protected against such intrusion.“Zero tolerance is the only solution when it comes to the security of the country. That has to be our mind set,” added Parrikar.

Parrikar termed counterfeit currency problem or “economic terrorism” as more dangerous than cyber attacks.

Apart from Parrikar, Junior Information and Broadcasting Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore, officers from the armed forces, local administration and representatives of local organisations were also present at the conference.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Can't disagree with DM's statement, this is the very reason Americans and pakis pick fights once every decade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Hohoh .... yeah people need to appreciate our army a little more.

Blackwater

i agree with him. since 1971 india never fought full war till 1999 kargil which was like mini war.

we all know IA and IAF were under equipped and soldier were may be lacked of training and material.. during kargil war

all three forces did not buy sufficient equipment for long time because there were no wars. result in till 2015 all three forces under equipped and under men. and under squadron

today indian youth dont consider joining indian armed forces as there first choice.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
The young generation of today is more concerned about which new mobile is launched or some characterless celeb dance # in the next crap movie.

They would rather spend time talking crap on whatsapp than learn some history.
Actually that's not quite true, as the fervor do exist among the youth. But the % has definitely gone down. Particularly among the better educated ones, who can qualify for the officer cadres, and that also affects the services, as due to need of higher no. of officers, services are make doing.

Not only the lack of wars, but the negative image projection of armed forces, particularly of Army, by the media is another reason. Media these days focus too much on any infraction made by army, while not following up on when army remedies the wrong doing. Also, the allegation of corruptions against the brass like where a general was caught taking bribes on poultry supply, is another big reason for the youth to not feel enamored with army. The constant harping by media that our boys go under-equipped, has to affect some who starts thinking the govt. is indifferent to armed forces. Further, the Gen. VK Singh age-row has given an ugly hue about Govt.'s unethical intervention in armed forces.

The image of armed forces has fallen from the high pedestal, not because of a single reason, but various reasons compounded over the years. It's going to be hard work for the NDA to reverse the flow given, yes, the luxury in cheap and entertainment for free, that is easily available to the youth today which they know will be denied during the most of the service life if they choose to join up.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Actually that's not quite true, as the fervor do exist among the youth. But the % has definitely gone down. Particularly among the better educated ones, who can qualify for the officer cadres, and that also affects the services, as due to need of higher no. of officers, services are make doing.

Not only the lack of wars, but the negative image projection of armed forces, particularly of Army, by the media is another reason. Media these days focus too much on any infraction made by army, while not following up on when army remedies the wrong doing. Also, the allegation of corruptions against the brass like where a general was caught taking bribes on poultry supply, is another big reason for the youth to not feel enamored with army. The constant harping by media that our boys go under-equipped, has to affect some who starts thinking the govt. is indifferent to armed forces. Further, the Gen. VK Singh age-row has given an ugly hue about Govt.'s unethical intervention in armed forces.

The image of armed forces has fallen from the high pedestal, not because of a single reason, but various reasons compounded over the years. It's going to be hard work for the NDA to reverse the flow given, yes, the luxury in cheap and entertainment for free, that is easily available to the youth today which they know will be denied during the most of the service life if they choose to join up.
I think you are partially right. Mr. Parrikar needs to make some statements that are pro army...like it's role in providing stability and not attempting coups. The CDS should ****in theory**** give armed forces a little breathing room by providing increased autonomy as well as a single face (like Modi) which can be a good marketing tool like Doval is.
And ofcourse there is corruption in the armed forces. Look at that joke of an RFI for tanks :frusty::frusty::frusty:

fyodor

Country flag
The young generation of today is more concerned about which new mobile is launched or some characterless celeb dance # in the next crap movie.

They would rather spend time talking crap on whatsapp than learn some history.
It's partly also because of the military due to it's old school ways of interacting.
American forces regularly interact with media and make their special ops(non-covert) public to the media thereby increasing the excitment. People see Navy seals hollywoodis'que operations and go into the 'wow' mode. Whereas in India, the military rarely publicizes such information so there is no glamor associated with the military. Also bollywood rarely makes good military movies compare to hollywood.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Thankfully DM & PM are not only aware of the problem, but were also trying to address the gaps. We have sufficient examples of this :

1) Mortared the sh&% out of pakis during the first cross border firing. we shelled and fired at them 3X times.
2) if i remember correctly in one of the sopore militant attacks, BMP-2 was used. when was the last time BMP was used in a counter-insurgency op. i thought that was cool.
3) Yemen Rescue Op
4) Nepal SAR Op
5) And of course the Myanmar OP

All there were fine examples of reminding the country of service by defence personnel.

i am not counting the kashmir floods, because army would have been involved either way.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
It's partly also because of the military due to it's old school ways of interacting.
American forces regularly interact with media and make their special ops(non-covert) public to the media thereby increasing the excitment. People see Navy seals hollywoodis'que operations and go into the 'wow' mode. Whereas in India, the military rarely publicizes such information so there is no glamor associated with the military. Also bollywood rarely makes good military movies compare to hollywood.
When they make they include the romantic drama which goes too stretched and distracts.

Example is Border,LoC,Lakshya et al.

Just see the "Enemy Behind the Lines" to know how such a movie needs to be.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
You will notice that a lot of American actors, especially old timers, and other male media figures served in their military at one point or another. Many fought in the second World War and/or Vietnam and/or Korea. This is because the U.S. had the draft back then. Even now, all American males over 18 have to register in the Selective Service System because the possibility of a future draft exists although currently US military is a voluntary force. When I go to the states, I'm always taken aback by how popular and prominent their military is. It plays a strong role in their national consciousness. And sometimes I think this is what India needs.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
When I hear media saying, fake encounter, fake operation, or FF operation kind of statement, then I really feel that , let's pick up a fight with Pakistan. Then these 9-5 people , desk work, talk show people will realize what Military is about.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
You will notice that a lot of American actors, especially old timers, and other male media figures served in their military at one point or another. Many fought in the second World War and/or Vietnam and/or Korea. This is because the U.S. had the draft back then. Even now, all American males over 18 have to register in the Selective Service System because the possibility of a future draft exists although currently US military is a voluntary force. When I go to the states, I'm always taken aback by how popular and prominent their military is. It plays a strong role in their national consciousness. And sometimes I think this is what India needs.
Not only the actors, the majority of their politicians and congressmen, Senators have served in the Armed Forces one time or the other. I find them fiercely proud of their military and they proudly flaunt their military service. They take care of them and provide them lot of facilities for rehabilitation and employment. There is a reservation in higher education for those who are released from their Armed Forces and that a major incentive for youngsters to join the forces after their O levels.

In India bureaucracy at all levels is competitive towards their status and position - thousands of years slaves finding freedom and then fighting for their new find class as if they have found a new caste ! Everybody then is in the crab race to pull each other down ... IAS pulling down all others, IPS pulling down IAF, DRDO guys demanding hierarchy and status etc etc. In this fight and struggle, Army the oldest institution in the country which had élan and status, becomes a target for all. They all want to show their position, power and status and what is better than showing that to the institution which in their view was once highest in India.

Army's high class and high caste superior image of Feudal and Colonial era still pervades in people's mind specially this new found bureaucracy and hierarchy. And the new class must resist and discredit it at every opportunity.

Lastly, NDA is one good avenue that opens to young boys after 12th class and IMA university entry just after graduation. In India majority of people appear in written examinations and SSB at that young impressionable age. However, only 2 percent of the aspirants make it. That stamp of rejection remains ingrained in their minds. Ask in this forum how many DRDO scientist would have appeared for SSB and the answer would be nearly 80 per cent.

I have met many IAS. IPS, IFS, Scientists in life who's main crib against the Armed Forces is that they were rejected without realising they were not cut out for the Army ! In the Army Headquarters every Babu there had appeared in SSB and then the rejected lots vent their vengeance by troubling Army by throwing tentacles if he can !!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I think you are partially right. Mr. Parrikar needs to make some statements that are pro army...like it's role in providing stability and not attempting coups. The CDS should ****in theory**** give armed forces a little breathing room by providing increased autonomy as well as a single face (like Modi) which can be a good marketing tool like Doval is.
And ofcourse there is corruption in the armed forces. Look at that joke of an RFI for tanks :frusty::frusty::frusty:

Poor boy ... that RFI has really hit him hard ...

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
That's an irresponsible statement. A Defence Minister should never wish for wars, and must prepare to avoid them (through increasing firepower).

Participate in international war-games and exercises.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles