Indian Army To Operate Attack Chopper Units

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
In what is being seen as a crucial victory for the Indian Army after a long-standing spat with the Indian Air Force, the government today accorded clearance to the Army to operate its own attack helicopter units.

India currently has two attack helicopter units, both under the command and control of the Army, but flown and maintained by IAF pilots and personnel. Seems pretty clear that the government's approval today means (a) that the two Mi-25/35 flights under two helicopter units will soon be flown by Army Aviation pilots (the choppers are in IAF livery) and the IAF will raise new units to house the 22 new attack helicopters (prospectively, the Boeing AH-64D Apache Block III) and, later, the Light Combat Helicopter. (b) The Mi-25/35s will be transferred to IAF command and control, while the Army raises new units and floats fresh requirements (it already stands to receive the Dhruv-WSI), or (c) a status quo on command and control of the current units, until new platforms enter service.
Livefist: Indian Army To Operate Attack Chopper Units

Some good news for Army Aviation but they will get the elderly Mi-24/35s and to be introduced Rudra Helicopters, while Airforce to relieve sparkling new Apaches and to be introduced LCH.

kaustav2001

Country flag
^^^ Well it's a beginning & Better late than never. Me feels that the Army probably has the largest requirement for attack choppers & depending upon how this goes (no one now would really wanna ruffle any (IAF)feathers) IA may actually end up flying Apaches/ Mi-28 & the LCH as well n probably in larger numbers.
Just my 2 cents.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Indian Army To Operate Attack Chopper Units

In what is being seen as a crucial victory for the Indian Army after a long-standing spat long-standing spat with the Indian Air Force, the government today accorded clearance to the Army to operate its own attack helicopter units.

India currently has two attack helicopter units, both under the command and control of the Army, but flown and maintained by IAF pilots and personnel. Seems pretty clear that the government's approval today means (a) that the two Mi-25/35 flights under two helicopter units will soon be flown by Army Aviation pilots (the choppers are in IAF livery) and the IAF will raise new units to house the 22 new attack helicopters (prospectively, the Boeing AH-64D Apache Block III) and, later, the Light Combat Helicopter. (b) The Mi-25/35s will be transferred to IAF command and control, while the Army raises new units and floats fresh requirements (it already stands to receive the Dhruv-WSI), or (c) a status quo on command and control of the current units, until new platforms enter service.

Livefist

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Some progress towards formation of Aviation Brigades. with inhouse production of ALH / LCH that could fast be a reality. I would like to see an aviation Brigade in Arunachal and one in Ladakh

bhramos

Country flag
what actually India Brought 2 Sqns of Mi-25 from USSR, and later India brought 1 Sqn of Mi-25/35 second hand from Kazakhstan........... but why are mentioning only 2 Sqns!!!!

Zebra

Country flag
What about IA's order for 114 LCH?

IA will get that in future or no?

:confused2:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
^^^ Well it's a beginning & Better late than never. Me feels that the Army probably has the largest requirement for attack choppers & depending upon how this goes (no one now would really wanna ruffle any (IAF)feathers) IA may actually end up flying Apaches/ Mi-28 & the LCH as well n probably in larger numbers.
Just my 2 cents.
Like all other Armies.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
What about IA's order for 114 LCH?

IA will get that in future or no?

:confused2:
The news suggest that LCA would be handed to IAF, I think if MoD considers that IAF got enough assets then they will pass some to the IA, moreover both Mi-24/35 and Rudra have the capability to carry troops along with guns while Apache and LCA will be dedicated strike platform with no troop carrying capacity. I think MoD is not gonna arm Army Aviation at the expense of IAF capabilities.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The news suggest that LCA would be handed to IAF, I think if MoD considers that IAF got enough assets then they will pass some to the IA, moreover both Mi-24/35 and Rudra have the capability to carry troops along with guns while Apache and LCA will be dedicated strike platform with no troop carrying capacity. I think MoD is not gonna arm Army Aviation at the expense of IAF capabilities.
It is need of a particular Arm, the operational doctrine and compartmentalisation as also macro management of resources as per operational requirements that should determine the issue. Helicopter are essentially ground assets rather than air assets. Their operations are localised and limited in range suitable for ground operations. Helicopters are not instruments of air operations except for limited uses.

Zebra

Country flag
Thanks,

For Mil-24, it was operated and maintained by IAF (for IA), now IA will operate and maintain it for itself.

MoD's initial plan was much better for LCH ------ 114 LCH for IA and 65 LCH for IAF.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Thanks,

For Mil-24, it was operated and maintained by IAF (for IA), now IA will operate and maintain it for itself.

MoD's initial plan was much better for LCH ------ 114 LCH for IA and 65 LCH for IAF.
Maybe IAF succeeded in convincing MoD to hand over the old Attack Chopper to IA and getting sparkling new machines for themselves :tsk:

blueblood

Thanks,

I am yet to see any concrete proof for the AAC LCH procurement. From what I have learned, it is merely an internet rumour.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If it is with the Army Aviation, there will be better coordination and synergy.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
AH numbers not being adequate to distribute as integral units of Division, I presume they will be 'on call' and 'on priority call' basis.

Sunder singh

AH numbers not being adequate to distribute as integral units of Division, I presume they will be 'on call' and 'on priority call' basis.
acepted but sir area like North east were forces like assam rifles which is contineous under conter insergency opps AH is need u short call like an ambush to petrol party or ambush on ROP.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
acepted but sir area like North east were forces like assam rifles which is contineous under conter insergency opps AH is need u short call like an ambush to petrol party or ambush on ROP.
Airborne assault might not be the most preferable approach.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Singh Sahab,
Tell me how do you deploy attack hepters in thick jungles in Dantewada, narayangarh, Jagadal pur, Nagaland, Manipur, Assam and Mizoram against any military threat ! These machines would only do Casualty evacuations. Let us not be theoreticians par excellence !

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles