Indian Army T- 90 (Bhishma) and T- 72 (M-1) Tanks

JBH22

What i have inferred from past readings of this thread is Russians took us for a ride very badly.
We manufacture own armour steel for t 90 tanks, the sights are there well and good.
Let me know how Russians took you for a ride, if we pay and cannot dictate terms then who is the fool.
Back in 2001, what choice did we have beside T-90, Pakistani had acquired T-80. We cannot buy western platforms too costly, indigenous model Arjun well let's not talk about it again. Then Chinese tanks that was a no go.

The only issue is aps , Apu, more comprehensive era, new tank gun which can endure pressure above 650 megapascals , and new apfsds rounds with better penetration better thab fsapsds mk 2 by drdo.
Existing T-90 fleet with APS and some minor tweaks more than enough to tackle what Pakistan can throw towards India.
Just need to get rid of T-72M1, these are going to be the real steel coffin.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
A good option would be to revive the Tank EX programme. Replace the turret on the T-series tank with the modified turret which DRDO is planning for Arjun MK2. Many of the components required are developed under the Arjun MK1A programme already. Rest including improved ammo, nuw smoothbore gun, 1500 hp engine are in advanced stages of developement. Of course, for T-series tank the engine should be de-rated to around 1200 hp.

Applicable for both T-90S and T-72 upgrade programme.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
A good option would be to revive the Tank EX programme. Replace the turret on the T-series tank with the modified turret which DRDO is planning for Arjun MK2. Many of the components required are developed under the Arjun MK1A programme already. Rest including improved ammo, nuw smoothbore gun, 1500 hp engine are in advanced stages of developement. Of course, for T-series tank the engine should be de-rated to around 1200 hp.

Better to build a new tank. Arjun front has that hole as well. Current IA approach is fine: upgrade T-90 and replace T-72 with FRCV. Then when FRCV program ends, start a program to replace T-90.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag

Not really , t series tanks turret have a lower cross section
It will be counterproductive unless it has a aps and that a good one.
Best upgrade we can get for t 90 is
New gun , new fsapsds round
Mine plough- done
Apu - done
New commander sight - done.
Night fighting capability- done
Only things we need is a aps , better explosive armour setup , like covering some areas of t 90 with era mk 1 also .
You are good to go for another 20 years.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Are you referring to the boxes on the front top of the T-90 ERA? IMO those are luggage compartments (or whatever is the technical name).
I dont think so, I compared to old t 90 tank pics
Not on one was these boxes present or well they might be

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Does russians modernisation of t90a to t90am standard good to our t90s @Bleh

Covfefe

Country flag
Anything is better than the 20year old crap we have (reaching obsolence even back then)... I simply don't get why can't we do it ourselves with Arjun tech!
Corruption in Indian Army- no fauj worship there.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Corruption in Indian Army- no fauj worship there.
Not just Army im this case.
Even or Arjun Mark1A is a 10 years old jugaad design, that needed further polishing even then (everyone expected such a Mark2 webcam or was renamed). Unless NG-MBT happens we have nothing thay could compare to this they've been constantly working on for a decade!..

1614790668_t-90m-1.jpg
1614790714_t-90m-3.jpg

Lack of will , simple.
Frankly, I hope this lack of development was due concentration on NGMBT. Otherwise NDA2 would've performed worse than UPA2 in this regard.

Global Defence

Articles