Indian Army T- 90 (Bhishma) and T- 72 (M-1) Tanks

Swiftfarts

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Nothing that I can think of. L: D ratio appears to be barely 20:1, perhaps even less, or at least that's what it seems like from this angle.
Less L/D ratio is not a problem if impact velocity remain high. penetration will be Higher despite smaller length of projectile.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Less L/D ratio is not a problem if impact velocity remain high. penetration will be Higher despite smaller length of projectile.
Yeah, the problem is shorter stubbier projectiles tend to lose velocity at a more rapid rate compared to a longer thinner one, so the shorter rod might very well begin with a higher muzzle velocity but by the time they hit their targets, it will have been lost more of its ke. The same thing applies to small arms ammo as well.

ArgonPrime

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
But impact velocity can't be high without improvement in chamber pressure, ie better metallurgy.
A smaller rod would also ensure a reduced mass of the projectile, so you wouldn't need to pack as much propellant to attain higher initial muzzle velocity but the problem is, such a projectile would begin to lose the said velocity at a faster rate as well. So there is a downside to that as well.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
A smaller rod would also ensure a reduced mass of the projectile, so you wouldn't need to pack as much propellant to attain higher initial muzzle velocity but the problem is, such a projectile would begin to lose the said velocity at a faster rate as well. So there is a downside to that as well.
No can't reduce mass (ie, material density). That'll drastically reduce effective range.

Maybe a Sears-Haack shaped penetrator would be better.

Swiftfarts

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
ok so i did some calculations estimating it's pen. I took 540mm length for main projectile.

With L/D ratio of 20:1 , diameter come to be around 27mm.

This tungsten alloy projectile let's say with a density of 18gm/cm3.... then will have a DOP of around 530 mm at 1.5km/s impact velocity and up to 580 mm at around 1.6 km/s impact velocity.

I took BHN value for target at 260 and NATO obliquity to 60°.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
ok so i did some calculations estimating it's pen. I took 540mm length for main projectile.

This tungsten alloy projectile let's say with a density of 18gm/cm3.... then will have a DOP of around 530 mm at 1.5km/s impact velocity and up to 580 mm at around 1.6 km/s impact velocity.

That's actually good work!.. Kudos.

NAMICA

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Not bad they made the projectile thick so that it doesn't disorients itself.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Dude, seriously??!!
Yes. If volume is unchanged (same length rod) then only way to reduce nass would be density reduction... And then it'll decelerate faster from air-drag bleeding kinetic energy faster.
I don't understand what you meant. Plz elaborate.

Anyways, looking ahead IMO composites FSAPDS may be better than DU. Even our 120mm penetrators is short because of tungsten's high brittleness & our metallurgy limitations... But multiple tungsten rods encase longitudinally in a high-tensile titanium pipe might actually perform better taking ERA etc. into account.

WolfPack86

Country flag
#DRDO Commander’s TI for T-90 and T-72/BMP-2 #IndianArmy

I am making a thread on all the updates came in last some months regarding modernization of Indian tanks.
ARDE commander's TI

MoD signed a contract with BEML for procurement of 1512 Mine Plough for #IndianArmy T-90 S/SK at an approximate cost of Rs 557 crore. Induction planned to be completed by 2027.
These are Track Width Mine Plough or TWMP made by BEML. It can clear mines at the depth of even 275 mm. These are for #IndianArmy T-90S Bhisma. While TWMP made for Arjun Mk. 1A can clear mines and IED at depth of even 300 mm.

On 9 Nov, 2020 #IndianArmy awards Rs. 1325 Cr Agreement to OshoCorp for 3257 Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) for T-72 & T-90 Tanks. OshoCorp Global was selected after nearly 4 years of selection process for development under Make II guidelines of Ministry of Defence

On 17 Nov #IndianArmy awarded Rs 2300 Crore to OshoCorp Global Pvt Ltd for 85000 rounds of 125mm APFSDS tank ammunition with initial development of upto 250 rounds each for T-72, T-90 tank platforms for trial and approval (DoP 530 mm RHAe or higher)

On 11 Nov first overhauled T-90S Bhisma rolled out from HVF, OFB

T-90S Bhisma and T-72M1 Ajeya

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles