Indian Army T- 90 (Bhishma) and T- 72 (M-1) Tanks

Tanmay

Country flag
They have this option too, donno how many have been ordered. fairly recent(2017) product from DRDO.

View attachment 54083

The trawl seems good with sensors to detect mines beforehand.
T-72 basedenginnering regiments exist, but I havent seen T-90 based enginnering regiments.
Also there are rocket launched mine clearance systems, even the Chinese showed one in their recent videos I think.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
i read that life span of this mine plough is 30 km, this probably means IA is stocking up and they won't be buying these for T-90 for next 15 years.
Every tank will have two plaughs.. life span is in terms of certain number of mine blast or a time span whichever is earlier...

Plaughs.. are used only in deserts or semi desert areas..
I feel he price is still on higher side.. really do not know if the price was determined through competitive bidding.. also do not know what is BEML's claim to metallurgy.. these ploughs are not agricultural earth moving equipement..

WolfPack86

Country flag
Army in dire need of light tanks, current tanks way too heavy. Watch this report.

WolfPack86

Country flag
जवानों के साथ China के छक्‍के छुड़ाने Galvan Valley पहुंचा T-90 Tank

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
They have this option too, donno how many have been ordered. fairly recent(2017) product from DRDO.

View attachment 54083
Those are Trawls .... meant for different purposes than plows..

Plows are tank equipment and Trawls are Assault Engineers Equipment.

Plows are meant to protect tanks and the plowed line can be used by other tanks and Infantry to follow. That is called assault lane but it leaves the area between tracks unmined. Plows are also not foolproof demining equipment as it lpows mines and places those on sides like a farmer plowing Potato field.

Trawl on the other hand roll over the minefield and blast all the mines except at undulations. That is why it is used to create "Safe Lanes"... capable of being used by all vehicles including trucks and SUVs,

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Those are Trawls .... meant for different purposes than plows..

Plows are tank equipment and Trawls are Assault Engineers Equipment.

Plows are meant to protect tanks and the plowed line can be used by other tanks and Infantry to follow. That is called assault lane but it leaves the area between tracks unmined. Plows are also not foolproof demining equipment as it lpows mines and places those on sides like a farmer plowing Potato field.

Trawl on the other hand roll over the minefield and blast all the mines except at undulations. That is why it is used to create "Safe Lanes"... capable of being used by all vehicles including trucks and SUVs,
Deviating slightly from anti-tank mines.

Apparently someone came up with this idea for anti-personnel mines..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Deviating slightly from anti-tank mines.

Apparently someone came up with this idea for anti-personnel mines..

Very good idea for unopposed minefields for demining purposes as peacetime activities. But the roll is not controlled and its direction will depend on the wind. Demining is one of the most hazardous and nasty operations. Many Western NGO with ex SAS and SOF and Engineers personnel are involved in demining NGOs the world over like Afghanistan and many parts of Africa and are paid very handsomely. In fact, many Capsier type MPAVs are employed in the task.

I had many nasty experiences of demining or resuscitating old minefields. And it is one of the most tiring and dangerous job for any soldier to undertake.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
Very good idea for unopposed minefields for demining purposes as peacetime activities. But the roll is not controlled and its direction will depend on the wind. Demining is one of the most hazardous and nasty operations. Many Western NGO with ex SAS and SOF and Engineers personnel are involved in demining NGOs the world over like Afghanistan and many parts of Africa and are paid very handsomely. In fact, many Capsier type MPAVs are employed in the task.

I had many nasty experiences of demining or resuscitating old minefields. And it is one of the most tiring and dangerous job for any soldier to undertake.
I've seen some NGOs use mine sniffer rats. Do they really work?

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I've seen some NGOs use mine sniffer rats. Do they really work?
Must be working otherwise most of the mines are Non Detectable. But rats do eat High Explosive. Many methods have been tried at demining such as explosive methods, fuel-air explosives, CLMC , magnetic detection ... etc...

But nothing to beat prodder of Sepoy Bhoop Singh which is the ultimate and final clearing method.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The Chinese have over-hyped the abilities of their type 15 light tank. As usual Indian media have fallen for that crap. The Type-15 is a modernization of the Type 85, which itself was a modernization of Type 59 MBT, which was a cpoy of Soviet T-55 MBT. Now what the Chinese are claiming to be a light tank specifically designed for military operation in TAR, is basically a souped up version of T-55 (which was considered a MBT in its day), just as T-90 is a souped up version of T-72.
What is ironic is that we have close to 2000 variants of T-55 sitting in retirement.
What is the need of the our is a modernization package of T-55, the likes of which many countries like Slovenia (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/91/ee/6991ee34127ea636072ac6573073af32.jpg) are offering. Even DRDO can come up with its own modernization package with its experience from Arjun project.

Alfalfa

Country flag
Can someone who understands armour tell me why the whole fuss about tanks in that terrain? Wouldnt it be better to arm BMP2s or Jeeps with with Javellins, Nags etc. ... in hilly terrain how many tanks would actually have a frontal line of sight to engage using their main cannon.... I spent quite some time looking at maps of the LAC and the number of flat terrain pockets where Armour would really make sense are far and few between!

Alfalfa

Country flag
The Chinese have over-hyped the abilities of their type 15 light tank. As usual Indian media have fallen for that crap. The Type-15 is a modernization of the Type 85, which itself was a modernization of Type 59 MBT, which was a cpoy of Soviet T-55 MBT. Now what the Chinese are claiming to be a light tank specifically designed for military operation in TAR, is basically a souped up version of T-55 (which was considered a MBT in its day), just as T-90 is a souped up version of T-72.
What is ironic is that we have close to 2000 variants of T-55 sitting in retirement.
What is the need of the our is a modernization package of T-55, the likes of which many countries like Slovenia (https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/91/ee/6991ee34127ea636072ac6573073af32.jpg) are offering. Even DRDO can come up with its own modernization package with its experience from Arjun project.
I've been asking this question forever... Noone has given me a sane answer as to why the T55s cant do the job.... add a new 1000 Hp engine, throw in some ERA and an NVG suite...

WolfPack86

Country flag
T-90 Bhishma tanks to be ‘made in Avadi’
The Russian made T-90S tanks are one of the most lethal Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) in the world. The tanks, assembled at the Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) in Avadi, near Chennai, would be deployed along Pakistan border. The Indian Army has plans now to induct 464 Russian-origin upgraded T-90 “Bhishma” MBTs along the border.

Armed with night fighting capabilities, the tank is equipped with night vision devices and a thermal imaging system. It is also protected by explosive reactive armour (ERA). The tank is known for its mobility, lethal firepower, and first-hit ability during engagements. The Indian Defence Ministry is set to place the order on the State-owned ordnance factory.

The Avadi HVF will assembly the tanks with the semi-knocked-down (SKD) kits from the Russian tank manufacturer Uralvagonzavod.

The tanks will equip 10 armoured regiments of the Army and will be inducted in the 2022-2026 timeframe. The first 64 tanks should be delivered in 30-41 months. The 46.5-ton MBT powered by a 1,000 HP engine is likely to deployed along the Pakistani border.

According to Sputnik the proposal to assemble the tanks from SKD kits was taken as the Indian facility was not producing the T-90S at the desired pace. In 2006 – 7, the HVF had signed a contract to produce 1,000 T-90S tanks under licence from Russia by 2020. But the HVF has been able to supply only 350-400 T-90S to date.

The T-90 (Bhishma) tank was displayed during the Republic Day parade in New Delhi and earlier at the defence exhibition. The T-90S tank is equipped with a 125 mm smoothbore gun stabilised in elevation and azimuth that is capable of firing all types of ammunition, including laser-guided missiles (Invar) to a range of 5 km. The gun has an automatic loader ensuring a high rate of fire. The tanks additionally have a 12.7 mm anti-craft machine gun and 7.62 mm co-axial machine gun supported with high accuracy sighting systems.

The Union Cabinet Committee on Security had given clearance for the procurement of additional 464 T-90S at a cost of around USD $1.93 billion (Rs. 13,448 crore). The procurement was approved in November 2016.

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
MBT's should've been on the no-import list too, honestly.

Arguments about lack of infrastructure/logistics for Arjun are a chicken & egg problem. Without being given a push to develop them, Army will keep holding that same excuse up over and over again.

Just wait til T-90's are outdated and the Russians are selling us a successor based on the same frame - even if the Arjun Mk 2/3 is a masterpiece, they'll use the same arguments to shoot it down too.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
The deal of 13488 crore for just 464 tanks, gives a per unit cost of about 29 crores. That too for the outdated T-90S standard (which was state of the art in the 90s), not MS standard.
Hence talk of T-90S being very cheap compared to Arjun is just hogwash.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles