Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

GLD1980

Country flag
I believe that this cancellation was a deliberate move and teething problems are being presented as 'glitches'.

The truth is Sig Sauer quoted a higher price on the rifles than the $990 for the initial batch. They also need all available tooling and equipment to prepare for production of the XM5 (MCX Spear) for the US Army and Marines.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...er-to-build-its-next-generation-squad-weapon/

Then there is also hostile Biden Government who can cause all sorts of problems with supplies and sanctions for supporting Russia by proxy. The follow on order was sought during the Trump regime.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.bu...ndia-under-catsaa-blinken-122041200369_1.html

Also one of the reasons for the follow up order was the AK 203 deal not progressing satisfactorily which now appears to be a moot point.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.econ...an-sigsauer-guns/amp_articleshow/74001571.cms

The Army recently allowed for half of the existing lot of 72,400 rifles to have II tube scopes which actually cost more than the rifles.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ti...t-improved-night-fighting-capabilities/843741

Also Indian Defence Industry is now capable of making AR-15 / AR-10 rifles. The Sig 716i is an AR 10.

Anyway my take on the issue.
This guy knows his shit too!

GLD1980

Country flag
Ofb has made ammo for fn fal slr , for last many decades.
It is generally mismanagement by the army , the ordinance factories get blamed because they are easy to blame.
@Love Charger

It's not blame or fault of the OFB... It's just business... We need to remove emotions from the fight! Different .308 platforms require different powders, primers, bullets, seating depth, cannelure or no cannelure etc... It is a scientific part of the fight and very important. If you maximize your quality output it will allow you to increase productivity and profits will still exist! Often in business the quickest way for the profit to be earned is by cutting overhead.... What many don't realize is that well paid and rested employees are happy, they work harder and smarter, you then increase the quality of manufacturing of your products and offer luxury lines of refined products and hire aggressive sales teams to push products that sell themselves, and make more money.... Why make shit to earn shit.... I never understood this business strategy.... Very Chinese!

binayak95

Country flag
Both MAG and FAL were made in India. So despite being a copy there is a fair chance that those were tweaked to suit Indian ammunition. Or perhaps those itself were manufactured out of specs in the first place and then to suit them we started manufacturing out of spec ammunition.
These theories become more probable when we take a closer look at SLR; despite being just another FAL it's different from others. It uses elements from both "inch pattern" and "millimetre pattern" FALs.

As for the exported ammunition, it started very recently. Moreover, it's a NATO spec ammunition with imported powder.

As for the maintenance part, in armies we don't have this concept of x rifle needs more maintenance than y rifle. It's more of x army focuses more on maintenance than y army.
A soldier in any good army is required to clean his or her rifle after each session at range; no matter if it's an AK or 716.
The FAL has an amazingly versatile gas regulation system that allows you to adjust per your ammunition requirements.

And the MAG excels when used with high pressure ammo, add the fact that it primarily is tripod mounted, and you can see why it has a bombproof reputation.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
@Love Charger

It's not blame or fault of the OFB... It's just business... We need to remove emotions from the fight! Different .308 platforms require different powders, primers, bullets, seating depth, cannelure or no cannelure etc... It is a scientific part of the fight and very important. If you maximize your quality output it will allow you to increase productivity and profits will still exist! Often in business the quickest way for the profit to be earned is by cutting overhead.... What many don't realize is that well paid and rested employees are happy, they work harder and smarter, you then increase the quality of manufacturing of your products and offer luxury lines of refined products and hire aggressive sales teams to push products that sell themselves, and make more money.... Why make shit to earn shit.... I never understood this business strategy.... Very Chinese!
belive me ofb employees are most pampered ones by the government

In india government public sector works on two levels
1) these are mostly strategic sectors , like railways which are completely owned by Indian government or drdo , the defense research body and till 2 years ago ofb or ordinance factory board , with around 41 factories of various types manufacturing all sorts of defence goods.
From shoes to tanks .
They came under ministry of defence.
The ordering process was as follows
The army gave a indent of manufacturing to the ofb. Instead of a normal tender process open to all vendors .
The ofb then took its own sweet time , and delayed things for months .
To supply the required stuff
Last year the government divided ofb into 7 different companies with government holding majority of share , but now all the 7 companies formed after dissolution of ofb have to compete in tendering process like a normal procurement process.
As for salary, ofb and its successor firms are one of the best paying jobs in the country .
Taking care of all medical, travelling etc
The living quarters of the employees is provided by the government itself..
Anyway , iam a artillery lover and i dont care much about infantry or its rifle .
Its always the chad artillery which wins the war vs virgin infantry and i feel the same for all nations armies.
What kills more troops , a 7.62 mm gun doing pew pew pew or a 155 / 52 mm artillery gun firing a extended range full bore base bleed shell or boat tail shell with charge level 7 to a distance of 45 kilometres .

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
What kills more troops , a 7.62 mm gun doing pew pew pew or a 155 / 52 mm artillery gun firing a extended range full bore base bleed shell or boat tail shell with charge level 7 to a distance of 45 kilometres .
You need men on the ground to fight their way in and hold territory

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Depends on whom you're asking...
See even here artillery kills more men , either this way or that way artillery reigns supreme.
If I could marry a artillery gun. I would have married to 120 mm a50 french mortar , licensed built in india.
Its pretty as a lillac
And the dead soldier cannot answer me even if i ask him , anyway rest in peace for him and may his family have courage to face the loss. Even here artillery is the ultimate killer
@GLD1980

GLD1980

Country flag
See even here artillery kills more men , either this way or that way artillery reigns supreme.
If I could marry a artillery gun. I would have married to 120 mm a50 french mortar , licensed built in india.
Its pretty as a lillac
And the dead soldier cannot answer me even if i ask him , anyway rest in peace for him and may his family have courage to face the loss. Even here artillery is the ultimate killer
@GLD1980
@Love Charger
I really like you and yes you are right but I am going to teach you one for free...
Artillery kills Infantry, Air Force Kills Artillery, Nuclear kills all but come on buddy who kills the person at the top responsible for pushing the button??? Definitely not Artillery.... You guys just soften the objective along with the Air Force so we can go in and get surgical!
Why is Infantry the Queen and Artillery the King?
Because you basically hold the door open for us to go in first! Don't get me wrong, we need you!!! But don't ever forget there's no you without us!
Finally here's a good one.... Why is Artillery the King and Infantry the Queen?
Because you guys always end up fucking us over!

Seriously I am just kidding.... You guys help save Infantry lives and we know it. Honestly though there is NO ARMY without the Infantry!

It will always be the Operator my friend, a Human, usually a specially trained man, or team of men, with small arms conducting surgical strikes that take out the HVT's that matter. You artillery guys have been replaced by the drone unfortunately.... Look at Ukraine and what do you see.... Anything moving bigger than a dog gets swacked!!! Probably by a DJI Mavic civilian drone too. Even Artillery gun teams. Pretty sad but being infantry and learning how to camouflage and move against obstacles will continue to be the way.... But Artillery isn't going anywhere anytime soon.... Infact your job will get easier and digital. Ours will always require a hump with a heavy pack, cold nights, miserable days, and no respect! The Infantry is for the tough not the weak and we wouldn't have it any other way!

We will always live in the suck! We will always love the suck! In the Infantry you become the suck, Your enemies worst nightmare!

But I still have respect for all the jobs in the military and everyone who protects their country, family, and way of life!

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
@Love Charger
I really like you and yes you are right but I am going to teach you one for free...
Artillery kills Infantry, Air Force Kills Artillery, Nuclear kills all but come on buddy who kills the person at the top responsible for pushing the button??? Definitely not Artillery.... You guys just soften the objective along with the Air Force so we can go in and get surgical!
Why is Infantry the Queen and Artillery the King?
Because you basically hold the door open for us to go in first! Don't get me wrong, we need you!!! But don't ever forget there's no you without us!
Finally here's a good one.... Why is Artillery the King and Infantry the Queen?
Because you guys always end up fucking us over!

Seriously I am just kidding.... You guys help save Infantry lives and we know it. Honestly though there is NO ARMY without the Infantry!

It will always be the Operator my friend, a Human, usually a specially trained team man, or team of men, with small arms conducting surgical strikes that take out the HVT's that matter. You artillery guys have been replaced by the drone unfortunately.... Look at Ukraine and what do you see.... Anything moving bigger than a dog gets swacked!!! Probably by a DJI Mavic civilian drone too. Even Artillery gun teams. Pretty sad but being infantry and learning how to camouflage and move against obstacles will continue to be the way.... But Artillery isn't going anywhere anytime soon.... Infact your job will get easier and digital. Ours will always require a hump with a heavy pack, cold nights, miserable days, and no respect! The Infantry is for the tough not the weak and we wouldn't have it any other way!

We will always live in the suck! We will always love the suck! In the Infantry you become the suck, Your enemies worst nightmare!

But I still have respect for all the jobs in the military and everyone who protects their country, family, and way of life!
But sir iam not even in the army. Let alone artillery :hehe: :hehe: :yo: :yo: :tongue:

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
The Indian artillery fired over 2,50,000 shells, bombs and rockets during the Kargil conflict. Approximately 5,000 artillery sheels, mortar bombs and rockets were fired daily from 300 guns, mortars and MBRLs while 9,000 shells were fired the day Tiger Hill was regained. During the peak period of assaults, on an average, each artillery battery fired over one round per minute for 17 days continuously. Such high rates of fire over long periods had not been witnessed anywhere in the world since the World War II.
@GLD1980

Tactical Doge

𝕱𝖔𝖔𝖑𝖘 𝖗𝖚𝖘𝖍 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖆𝖓𝖌𝖊𝖑𝖘 𝖋𝖊𝖆𝖗
Country flag
The Indian artillery fired over 2,50,000 shells, bombs and rockets during the Kargil conflict. Approximately 5,000 artillery sheels, mortar bombs and rockets were fired daily from 300 guns, mortars and MBRLs while 9,000 shells were fired the day Tiger Hill was regained. During the peak period of assaults, on an average, each artillery battery fired over one round per minute for 17 days continuously. Such high rates of fire over long periods had not been witnessed anywhere in the world since the World War II.
@GLD1980
Can't do that with drones lol

Blademaster

@GLD1980
Russia is now firing 4-5 times the rate and it has been going for 5-6 months.

Global Defence

Articles