Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Its pointless to equip mechanized infantry with battle rifles.Only mountain infantry should have SIGs where their long range can be used effectively.Mechanized infantry accompanying tanks in IFVs need assault rifles and AK is excellent for that.Even assault detatchments of mountain infantry will need AKs.The AK203 is an excellent rifle,the toned down ak12/15 that the russians are adopting is not very different(original ak-12/15 was much different but failed due to high cost and unreliability in russian army trials).Yes,russian army infantry upgradration program is standardizing on AK. SIG is needed for the mountains.Also we cant afford telescopes on 1 milion SIGs.Without scopes you are wasting the SIG.
I don't think Task & Purpose should be taken this seriously. There are always few misses in his videos.

For example, he says free floated AK. But actually you can't free float a long stroke gun like an AK.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Overall conclusion of the Task & Purpose video is something many will agree. The AK-12 is basically a souped up version of AK-74M and should have been named AK-74 mod2.
From Russian point of view, they should have gone with furniture updrage on their huge stockpile of AK-74 rifles (from companies like FAB defence or their Russian analogue), instead of AK-12s.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
From Russian point of view, they should have gone with furniture updrage on their huge stockpile of AK-74 rifles (from companies like FAB defence or their Russian analogue), instead of AK-12s.
just google KM-AK kit, already happening there,
1638731511439.png

larry vickers himself covered a video of KM-AK kit modernized AK-74M

IndianHawk

Country flag
The requirement of 7.62*51 mm was originally envisaged for replacing Insas. The army issued the tender in 2017-18 for 72k for frontline troops only, with an option of repeat order of 72k rifles. The rest of the troops were suppossed to get the OFB R-2 rifle (which was being tested and finetuned in OFB under army supervision). In fact 25% of the requiremnt was to be fullfiled by foreign off the shelf purchase, 25% by OFB R-2 and another tender was to be isssued for domestic manufacturing for the rest 50% (where even OFB could participate). This was clearly stated by Gen Rawat (then COAS) in his press conference.

Then all of a sudden this new hafta deal of 7 lakh AK-203 is announced to placate the Russians. Apparently an empowered team of MOD officialls went on a world tour (on taxpayers expense) and visited different arms factories and declared AK-203 as the winner during visit to Kalashnikov factory (just after firing few rounds in their in-house range). This seems to the most murkiest deal after Admiral Gorshkov.

The problem is where will this AKs go? I hope they don't equip the Infantry with these AKs. No other country is doing that except may be Vietnam and some small countries. I would rather have the R-2 rifle or 7.62*51 mm analogue of the new Sig 550 chap ARDE carbine, to equip the rest of the Infantry.

Other than Rashtriya rifles, Assam Rifles and support troops like artillery and AAC, I don't see any utility for this AKs. But then again, the there is a separated 5.56 carbine tender of 93k +3.6L especially meant for support troops.

The Pakis have G-3 as their main rifle of Infantry, and Type -56 in carbine role.
Perhaps the ak 203 just works!!
Many modern rifles don't qualify our criteria of performance in every kind of imaginable terrain. Ak being tried and tested platform may do good enough job in most situations.

But this is my general point of view and I'm clueless about technicalities of small arms.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
1640104794027.png

Indian Air Force personnel with SiG-716i 7.62x51 mm NATO BFR. 4K out of the first batch of 72.4K Rifles were meant for Indian Air Force. They've also ordered 70K AK-103 Rifles from Russia. The combination will replace INSAS Rifles currently in service with the Force.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles