Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
How is it going fellas. I wanted to send a shout out from the United States. My name is Dan. I was in the US Army Infantry for 12 years so I can relate with the Infantry Life! I have a tremendous amount of respect for my Army Brothers from India and I am very proud of what you all do. Hold down the LOC men!

So how do you fellas like your SIG 716I's? Those of us here in the West have been wondering how you all feel about your new 716I's and how they have performed during training and against threats.

Several of us have purchased 716I's but they are commercial variants and don't have the select fire control group and a few other minor differences. We all love them and I wanted to invite you to check out a few forums where I have posted threads dedicated to the SIG 716I and it being the best AR-308/ AR-10 for the money. You are invited to join the forums but beware, some users can be rude and impatient while others are genuine and respectful. Enjoy the read as I do reading your thread and seeing the awesome photos from the field.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/...08-AR-10-type-rifle-for-the-money-/45-521591/

https://www.sigtalk.com/threads/the-sig-716i-tread-thread.412335/

https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...r-10-type-battle-rifle-for-the-money.7080207/

Here is my 716I. Take Care!

Dan

Hello dan, nice to hear from you!

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah induction of SIG716i has been an event of its own like many bigshot competitors who made 7.62 NATO rifles for this tender (supposedly, if we go by dates etc things) were defeated by this virtually unknown rifle...
Tavor-7, Galil ACE in 7.62 NATO, AK-308 (came just after we made our own AK based rifle in 7.62 NATO, prototype named OFB R-2 rifle) and even SIG750//751 i believe...I personally was *this* sure about selection of Tavor-7 based on some info i got off Telegram from closed friends etc but...yeah

Since SIG-716i owned by you is civilian variants at max it would be lacking full auto parts (and compability) like no cross-pin to house auto sear above fire selector inside lower receiver and cutout below the bolt carrier for actuating sear/disconnector would be longer etc, making manual tweakings to make it full auto 'machine gun' harder for an average commoner, i assume...
but otherwise it would be quite identical to what the Indian Army has gotten and so (if we don't look at furniture and handguards, of course since ours is quite elementary in that regard) and i hope performance on semi auto fire be similar if not same.

One 'major' difference between SIG-716i commercially available there and the ones we brought is ours don't have 'Quick Detachbale' sling mount on their receiver, those 'mounts' in buttstock castle nut area seems to be not drilled out in our rifles, seems like a cost cutting measure, also QD pattern of slings aren't in much usage here as we still follow older sling loop pattern mounts for rifle slings...not sure when the Indian Army gonna improvise in this regard.

GLD1980

Country flag

GLD1980

Country flag
Hello dan, nice to hear from you!

Welcome to the forum!

Yeah induction of SIG716i has been an event of its own like many bigshot competitors who made 7.62 NATO rifles for this tender (supposedly, if we go by dates etc things) were defeated by this virtually unknown rifle...
Tavor-7, Galil ACE in 7.62 NATO, AK-308 (came just after we made our own AK based rifle in 7.62 NATO, prototype named OFB R-2 rifle) and even SIG750//751 i believe...I personally was *this* sure about selection of Tavor-7 based on some info i got off Telegram from closed friends etc but...yeah

Since SIG-716i owned by you is civilian variants at max it would be lacking full auto parts (and compability) like no cross-pin to house auto sear above fire selector inside lower receiver and cutout below the bolt carrier for actuating sear/disconnector would be longer etc, making manual tweakings to make it full auto 'machine gun' harder for an average commoner, i assume...
but otherwise it would be quite identical to what the Indian Army has gotten and so (if we don't look at furniture and handguards, of course since ours is quite elementary in that regard) and i hope performance on semi auto fire be similar if not same.

One 'major' difference between SIG-716i commercially available there and the ones we brought is ours don't have 'Quick Detachbale' sling mount on their receiver, those 'mounts' in buttstock castle nut area seems to be not drilled out in our rifles, seems like a cost cutting measure, also QD pattern of slings aren't in much usage here as we still follow older sling loop pattern mounts for rifle slings...not sure when the Indian Army gonna improvise in this regard.
This is all very interesting to know. I've heard the reason SIG may have not drilled your QD ports was to avoid any structural integrity issues. Your rifles were intended to be even stronger and avoid frame splitting under heavy Infantry use.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
This is all very interesting to know. I've heard the reason SIG may have not drilled your QD ports was to avoid any structural integrity issues. Your rifles were intended to be even stronger and avoid frame splitting under heavy Infantry use.
That gives logical explanation regd absence of QD ports on 716i in Indian Service,

but there is also this thing here that even rifles in service with QD sling ports are still mostly used with older pattern slings, a prime example is Tavor, X-95 etc in service with Indian Parachute Regiment and various SF operatives,
they would just run a loop of paracord (maybe?) through holes and hook those slings on them,
1637337702047.png

1637337794663.png

So not having QD ports isn't of much issue here since we are still accustomed to older 'if it works why replace it' attitude regd slings, and observing it SIG Sauer might have made this case of not drilling QD ports in 716i to increase some structural integrity and also bringing cost down, who knows...
^these are purely my own assumptions-speculations of course

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
That gives logical explanation regd absence of QD ports on 716i in Indian Service,

but there is also this thing here that even rifles in service with QD sling ports are still mostly used with older pattern slings, a prime example is Tavor, X-95 etc in service with Indian Parachute Regiment and various SF operatives,
they would just run a loop of paracord (maybe?) through holes and hook those slings on them,
View attachment 120509
View attachment 120511

So not having QD ports isn't of much issue here since we are still accustomed to older 'if it works why replace it' attitude regd slings, and observing it SIG Sauer might have made this case of not drilling QD ports in 716i to increase some structural integrity and also bringing cost down, who knows...
^these are purely my own assumptions-speculations of course
The looped para cord technique is something picked up from Israelis, they felt QD ones made too much noise so they started tying para cord at the ends connecting to the guns.
1637342102725.jpeg

1637342143577.jpeg

Watch from 7:00

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

GLD1980

Country flag
@GLD1980 , what you think about this video ?
That's how situation is at loc
@GLD1980 Indian army destroying a pakistani bunker.
These videos are great. I appreciate you sharing them. It is known how kinetic the situation is at the LOC. Several fellow Americans have asked how the SIG 716I performance is in India? Have you all found it up to the task? We have noticed how accurate and capable the 716I is an presume you all have been pleased.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
These videos are great. I appreciate you sharing them. It is known how kinetic the situation is at the LOC. Several fellow Americans have asked how the SIG 716I performance is in India? Have you all found it up to the task? We have noticed how accurate and capable the 716I is an presume you all have been pleased.
There are more videos
105mm arty

GLD1980

Country flag
The Day in the Life at the LoC video really illustrates the challenges of maneuverability caused by difficult terrain. Your forced to fight from your fighting positions or risk being seriously exposed. I feel like the SIG can really show its potential in that environment. Stay safe and stay low, and keep your heads down fellas.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
The Day in the Life at the LoC video really illustrates the challenges of maneuverability caused by difficult terrain. Your forced to fight from your fighting positions or risk being seriously exposed. I feel like the SIG can really show its potential in that environment. Stay safe and stay low, and keep your heads down fellas.
Thats why indian army used SLR before insas.
Now back to 7.62 calibre from 5.56

Global Defence

New threads

Articles