Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
Screenshot_20211002-193659~2.png

You can see the size of both Insas and Sig rifles, bottom right corner
Screenshot_20211002-194037~2.png

Integrated Comms. In forward Areas facing Chinkis :bhangra:

Covfefe

Country flag

Tactical Doge

π•±π–”π–”π–‘π–˜ π–—π–šπ–˜π– 𝖆𝖓𝖉 π–†π–“π–Œπ–Šπ–‘π–˜ π–‹π–Šπ–†π–—
Country flag
Quarter zip combat tshirts is it?
I believe so
No optic sighs due to prohibitive costs? Sorry, not much aware of "Gucci" stuff.

PS- Common sense says bc itni mehngi rifle khareedi thode paise se sights bhi le lete. These rifles would have been bloody DMRs. But again, I'm no expert.
It's an Infantry Rifle, we're not Americans to provide every single one with a Trijicon ACOG, and you don't need DMRs in numbers only one or two guys in a Section are Marksmen at present equipped with the SVD

Last edited:

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Common sense would tell you that at the minimum you would need gloves for that rifle. That thing is sure to get super hot and cold up high in the mountains. Not sure why tactical gloves haven’t been issued as standard to every infantry yet.
These guns are meant to be used with some sort of optic. At the least a centerline cross sight or a red dot. These need to be standard to every infantry unit as well. No point in modernizing if the front line personnel facing the music aren’t given essentials.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
I believe so

It's an Infantry Rifle, we're not Americans to provide every single one with a Trijicon ACOG, and you don't need DMRs in numbers only one or two guys in a Section are Marksmen at present equipped with the SVD
Then don’t buy the rifle. Because you’re not utilizing the rifle properly at all. These heavier guns are meant to be used with a bare minimum red dot sight optic. Why go for such heavy rifles, could’ve just stuck to AK’s. Every us personnel who’s reviewed these pics are surprised by the non usage of optics for such heavy weapons. Waste of money/potential. The guy handling this rifle needs to make it worth the cost of utilizing such an expensive purchase. He’s essentially handicapped of β€˜essential’ needs.

This is akin to buying a Mercedes’ Benz, and putting 87octane gas and using shitty oil. Lowers your mileage/performance/screws up the engine.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
No optic sighs due to prohibitive costs? Sorry, not much aware of "Gucci" stuff.

PS- Common sense says bc itni mehngi rifle khareedi thode paise se sights bhi le lete. These rifles would have been bloody DMRs. But again, I'm no expert.
Well, as you know, our MoD got a whiff of Tonbo Imaging, an Indian company while doing a joint exercise with the Americans. Only after that did the company get orders from India. 😁

So you can imagine how hard it would be for our military personnel to explain what the use of optical sights is to a pot-bellied, cigarette-smoking, chai-pakora babu sitting in an AC room.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I believe so

Infantry rifle or not, as someone here pointed out it is important to use an asset to its full potential. This is like saying that your airline bought an Airbus A380 and is using it to ferry party materials on seats between Mumbai and Kochi. Underutlizing an asset is equally criminal as wasting the asset altogether.

itsme

Country flag
Any idea if Sigs have seen actual combat? I believe they would have, at least a very small scale engagement on the loc.
A soldiers review would be nice.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Any idea if Sigs have seen actual combat? I believe they would have, at least a very small scale engagement on the loc.
A soldiers review would be nice.
None so far. But it is a good purchase. Just needs to be utilized properly. These can be extremely potent at long range engagements on the hills with good sights. This is all about long range. No cqb. That was the reason behind this purchase.
Most us personnel do not prefer this sig version for 7.56 as they find it to be a little bulkier. But they also realized in the hills of ghanistan that long range rifles are needed and 5.56 just won’t cut it.

Tonbo or even bel can provide basic sights. Bound to increase effectiveness

Tactical Doge

Country flag
Common sense would tell you that at the minimum you would need gloves for that rifle. That thing is sure to get super hot and cold up high in the mountains. Not sure why tactical gloves haven’t been issued as standard to every infantry yet.
These guns are meant to be used with some sort of optic. At the least a centerline cross sight or a red dot. These need to be standard to every infantry unit as well. No point in modernizing if the front line personnel facing the music aren’t given essentials.
They are troops being acclimatized, not that it matters,

they're being deployed in north east, not the extreme cold or extreme hot that would make your skin melt off
But if at all they're deployed in Extreme cold conditions, I'm sure they would be provided gloves, since it is pretty much standard across all RR battalions these days, probably no effort to get them for these mountain strike corps as well
The soldiers also, use a kind of Rail cover to aid in gripping the rifle
Screenshot_20211004-030844~2.png

1633297293349.png

Jugaad or not
Then don’t buy the rifle. Because you’re not utilizing the rifle properly at all. These heavier guns are meant to be used with a bare minimum red dot sight optic. Why go for such heavy rifles, could’ve just stuck to AK’s. Every us personnel who’s reviewed these pics are surprised by the non usage of optics for such heavy weapons. Waste of money/potential. The guy handling this rifle needs to make it worth the cost of utilizing such an expensive purchase. He’s essentially handicapped of β€˜essential’ needs.

This is akin to buying a Mercedes’ Benz, and putting 87octane gas and using shitty oil. Lowers your mileage/performance/screws up the engine.
Infantry rifle or not, as someone here pointed out it is important to use an asset to its full potential. This is like saying that your airline bought an Airbus A380 and is using it to ferry party materials on seats between Mumbai and Kochi. Underutlizing an asset is equally criminal as wasting the asset altogether.
While I completely agree with you two
My post was my opinion on the OPs question as to all rifles being a DMR with the LPVOs
Those sights are ridiculously expensive, just visit the Trijicon website
One or two guys in a section can be equipped with Variable power scopes and other Gucci stuff but the rest can stick to HOLOs, atleast that's what I think would be the best arrangement atleast for now
None so far. But it is a good purchase. Just needs to be utilized properly. These can be extremely potent at long range engagements on the hills with good sights. This is all about long range. No cqb. That was the reason behind this purchase.
Most us personnel do not prefer this sig version for 7.56 as they find it to be a little bulkier. But they also realized in the hills of ghanistan that long range rifles are needed and 5.56 just won’t cut it.

Tonbo or even bel can provide basic sights. Bound to increase effectiveness
Tonbo doesn't make LPVOs or Optical Day sights, but the the stuff they make are already used on SIGs, with new orders for Multi-mission TI Sights
And sights made by BEL are already used on SIGs
Even Zeiss red dots can be spotted on SIGs every now and then although I would prefer even an OLF Dehradun Scope over any Red dots or HOLOs
1633297839618.png

Sridhar_TN

Country flag

they're being deployed in north east, not the extreme cold or extreme hot that would make your skin melt off
But if at all they're deployed in Extreme cold conditions, I'm sure they would be provided gloves, since it is pretty much standard across all RR battalions these days, probably no effort to get them for these mountain strike corps as well
View attachment 113058
View attachment 113057
Jugaad or not

My post was my opinion on the OPs question as to all rifles being a DMR with the LPVOs
One or two guys in a section can be equipped with Variable power scopes and other Gucci stuff but the rest can stick to HOLOs, atleast that's what I think would be the best arrangement atleast for now

Tonbo doesn't make LPVOs or Optical Day sights, but the the stuff they make are already used on SIGs, with new orders for Multi-mission TI Sights
Even Zeiss red dots can be spotted on SIGs every now and then although I would prefer even an OLF Dehradun Scope over any Red dots or HOLOs
View attachment 113059
Well you definitely know your stuff. Are you active/former army?
regarding the gloves, I was speaking to high altitude temperature(not weather). In siachen, There are several cases of soldiers burning their hands on bare metal AK’s because the sun is directly on them. Also, the sigs have multiple sharp edges to them. IMO , I think it would be a good time to invest a significant amount of money into creature comforts for frontline 1rst line of def troops. Tactical gloves, Better boots, basic(very basic) optics. Just these three elements would make a difference. IMO.

not sure about the boots. Maybe they’re top of the line , I don’t know. But just saying from some observation made through Some pics a while ago.

Last edited:

Tactical Doge

Country flag
Well you definitely know your stuff. Are you active/former army?
Lol 🀣🀣
I'm quite noob, don't be fooled by the "Senior member" Tag
There are members here who are much better to answer your queries
regarding the gloves, I was speaking to high altitude temperature(not weather). In siachen, There are several cases of soldiers burning their hands on bare metal AK’s because the sun is directly on them. Also, the sigs have multiple sharp edges to them. IMO , I think it would be a good time to invest a significant amount of money into creature comforts for frontline 1rst line of def troops. Tactical gloves, Better boots, basic(very basic) optics. Just these three elements would make a difference. IMO.
I know of the cases when the skin falls of when it comes into contact with the exposed metal part
I'm 100% sure they would be provided with Gloves and associated equipment, if and when it is an absolute necessity, the soldier can't to basic soldiering if he cannot even hold the metal trigger down (????πŸ™‚)
Otherwise your average Infantryman with the SIG is just relying on Iron sights and 3 spare mags and zero gucci stuff that would make a difference outside the rifle itself obv

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Lol 🀣🀣
I'm quite noob, don't be fooled by the "Senior member" Tag
There are members here who are much better to answer your queries

I know of the cases when the skin falls of when it comes into contact with the exposed metal part
I'm 100% sure they would be provided with Gloves and associated equipment, if and when it is an absolute necessity, the soldier can't to basic soldiering if he cannot even hold the metal trigger down (????πŸ™‚)
Otherwise your average Infantryman with the SIG is just relying on Iron sights and 3 spare mags and zero gucci stuff that would make a difference outside the rifle itself obv
Would be nice if a senior army person is in this chat from time to time. Would definitely assuage some of the questions/ concerns.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag

View attachment 113058
View attachment 113057
Jugaad or not

View attachment 113059
The OLF Dehradun sight looks good but I fear it’s only a fixed 4x power one, which is not that impressive seeing the size of it. But I have heard OFB have used better mil grade materials like for the body, glass, reticle etc, so I hope it’s good enough, here something is better than nothing. Essentially it’s going to be like the fixed power telescopic sights seen on AKs used by RR made by Alpha Defense Technologies.
1633314936138.jpeg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles