Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

ketaki

Country flag
For th following reasons

1) auditing and inventory accounting
2) we are a poor country - brass is recycled
3) better for the environment - brass is recycled
this may be off topic but just spare 1/2 posts for the same...can anyone show me where else this "catching practice" is done outside of India? there are poorer nations than us but never seen any target practice with a "leg slip" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Automatic Kalashnikov

Country flag
this may be off topic but just spare 1/2 posts for the same...can anyone show me where else this "catching practice" is done outside of India? there are poorer nations than us but never seen any target practice with a "leg slip" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot: :shoot:

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I think even Singapore and Japan too do the same. Maybe it’s just an Asian thing😂

gutenmorgen

Country flag
I think even Singapore and Japan too do the same. Maybe it’s just an Asian thing😂
It is just an old practise that was followed by most of the armies in the past. Everybody had to turn in at least 80% of the shells. We probably got it from the British. In those times, it was probably to recycle the brass because of the shortage of materials (especially during war times. The world was a lot hotter then). These days, it has survived as a disciplinary practise in some of the armies. A lot of Asian armies do it and some non Asian as well. The swedes do it too, I believe.

Twinblade

Country flag
Another reason for brass catching is that scrap pickers would often scour the fields after an exercise to pick up brass for scrap. Unexploded ammo risks their life. Used to be a big problem. Also, the empty shells make it a lot easier to make black market ammunition. Brass catchers save everyone the headache.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Another reason for brass catching is that scrap pickers would often scour the fields after an exercise to pick up brass for scrap. Unexploded ammo risks their life. Used to be a big problem. Also, the empty shells make it a lot easier to make black market ammunition. Brass catchers save everyone the headache.
and we have a law for restricted bore, military caliber ammo has no place to be outside of Cantonment and operational areas.

AlphaRaiderZ

Country flag
So far Army's new SIG SAUER 716i Battle Rifles have been seen with 5 different optical sights
1) BEL Holographic
2) EOTECH 512 Holographic
3) ZEISS RSA-S Red Dot
4) TRIJICON 3.5×35 ACOG
5) MEPRO MINI HUNTER Night Vision
1,2 & 3 were already in service while 4 & 5 are new.
Sir I am rookie in the forum . In the fourth picture from the left Does the vertical grip in the near end of handguard not increase the weight of handguard? . I think that a BCM gunfighter short vertical grip should be light enough and even enable a C-clamp type gripping position more easily.

Spindrift

Sir I am rookie in the forum . In the fourth picture from the left Does the vertical grip in the near end of handguard not increase the weight of handguard? . I think that a BCM gunfighter short vertical grip should be light enough and even enable a C-clamp type gripping position more easily.
They don't weigh much, around 100 to 150 grams.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
The vertical grip has a built in bipod, hence it is most probably being used in a Dmr role.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Honest review of the Sig 716I from the AR10 subreddit.

Pros:

• rifle length gas system pair with factory H2 buffer made it super soft to shoot

• the handguard was always "zero'd" when shooting from bags, bipod, or standing, so iron sights were always zero'd

• trigger wasn't bad, but could have used some better polishing on the sear engagement

• never had a problem with cycling any brand ammo I put in it; steel or brass cased
  • shot.5 to .75" groups at 100yds with M118LR ammo (7.62x51 175gr. HPBT)
  • .75" diameter gas blocks fit, but the gas tube might need some reshaping to fit properly (original gas block is taller than normal)
  • uses SR25 pattern mags

• ar15 stocks, grips and trigger parts fit without problems

Cons:

• most parts seemed to be proprietary in size/cuts. BCG, barrel, handguard, and receivers would not mate to any LR308 or DPMS gen2 spec stuff I had.

• no aftermarket uppers or barrels or Sig brand uppers or barrels in different lengths or rifling twist rates

• accuracy with light weight nato ammo is a joke at best (my groups with Swiss, Malaysian, and American 145-150gr ammo made 3-5" groups at 100yds)

• gas block is not adjustable (bigger con for those with suppressors)

• muzzle device has to be a Sig taper mount or you need to buy their taper mount adapter washer the get a square shoulder for any muzzle device you choose to use en lieu of their flash hider

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles