Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

rkhanna

Country flag
IMHO there was no need to replace the SLRs in the 90s with Insas. Back then Pakis were our primary adversary. They were using G-3s back then and still using that now as their standard infantry firearm.

Modernized SLRs and reverse engineered AKs (for CI role) should have been the choice in the 90s. If that would have happened, we wouldn't see the small arms mess that we find ourself in now. Instead, we went for Insas and imported AKs.
The decision to transition to 556 was born out of our experience in Lanka and that the rest of the western world was going 556

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Since SIG716i is going to replace INSAS in frontline zones, we should also get this pattern of Bayonet Mounts for them, preferebly of Picatiny Type as it's got a long Picatiny Rail at 6'0 clock position (i.e. underside of the handguards)

Geissle Bayonet Mount for Railed Handguards
1614764374617.png

Someone please inform IA and ARDE/OFB about existence of such thing as It's just a thick metal block shaped to accomodate a compatible bayonet on it. Since SIG716i we bought has no provision for mounting bayonets and even if it had we do not use NATO pattern bayonets here in service, just make a compatible bayonet mount for SIG716i here at home that could affix INSAS pattern (or Kalashnikov Pattern, in general) bayonets on it. Our primary training still consist bayonet charge and change of firearm shouldn't be a reason for it to be thrown out of curriculum-service etc when we could use this sort of workaround on new ones and benefit from it.

Last edited:

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Since SIG716i is going to replace INSAS in frontline zones, we should also get this pattern of Bayonet Mounts for them, preferebly of Picatiny Type as it's got a long Picatiny Rail at 6'0 clock position (i.e. underside of the handguards)

View attachment 80300

Someone please inform IA and ARDE/OFB about existence of such thing as It's just a thick metal block shaped to accomodate a compatible bayonet on it. Since SIG716i we bought has no provision for mounting bayonets and even if it had we do not use NATO pattern bayonets here in service, just make a compatible bayonet mount for SIG716i here at home that could affix INSAS pattern (or Kalashnikov Pattern, in general) bayonets on it. Our primary training still consist bayonet charge and change of firearm shouldn't be a reason for it to be thrown out of curriculum-service etc when we could use this sort of workaround on new ones and benefit from it.
Bayonets in my opinion are an outdated concept, why stab the enemy when you can shoot them?
In my opinion a standardized sidearm would be more appropriate for our soldiers.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
They are not that power full as shown in movies

vampyrbladez

Country flag

View attachment 80300

The Indian Army Sig 716i variant does have an MLOK mounted bayonet.

https://soldiersystems.net/2020/03/24/sig-sauer-releases-tread-716i/

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Not only bayonet Mounting, it also need a grenade launcher attached.
For that also we can easily create a derivative of that UBGL on INSAS with picatiny compatible mounting section on it, something like this LMT one

Top - regular M203 grenade launcher, Bottom - LMT derivative from it with picatiny compatible mounting
1614776047786.png

Unknowncommando 2

Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Bayonets in my opinion are an outdated concept, why stab the enemy when you can shoot them?
In my opinion a standardized sidearm would be more appropriate for our soldiers.
No Bayonet is an inseperable part of Infantry fighting. Bayonet fighting tactics are something which can be done even if you have surplus ammo left.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
They are not that power full as shown in movies
In movies they hit hard surfaces, impact grenades don’t produce huge eye-pleasing explosions when it hits the geound.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
No Bayonet is an inseperable part of Infantry fighting. Bayonet fighting tactics are something which can be done even if you have surplus ammo left.
Why would you in the world of self loading rifles and 30round box magazines still stab a person in close range when you can shoot him with a bullet which flies at 3000ft/sec?
And even if you come up with the excuse of your gun jamming... Your sidearm is there for that reason.

Maharaj samudragupt

Kritant Parashu
Banned
Country flag
Why would you in the world of self loading rifles and 30round box magazines still stab a person in close range when you can shoot him with a bullet which flies at 3000ft/sec?
And even if you come up with the excuse of your gun jamming... Your sidearm is there for that reason.
What if you don't have sidearm.
Its indian arny not us army

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Do you have any of your family members in the army? If yes then ask about a Bayonet to them. A Bayonet is a bayonet.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles