Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Has anyone have snaps of how the iron sight of sig716 looks?

Gessler

Country flag
If this article is true, then bad news guys, it turns out the few thousand magnified optics that IA was looking for are expressly meant for the LMGs we recently bought (the Negevs), not the SIG 716s.

Thanks to @abingdonboy for finding the article.

Must say, the bit about IA wanting a maximum magnification power of 5x is weird. It's not a standard power used by any NATO military (service-issue magnifiers in West are usually 4x or 6x) - if that bit is true then expect to see a model that's not usually used by most, if any, military in the world.

Good thing is, there are some good 5x magnifiers out there from reputable manufacturers, but any LPVO is unlikely to emerge victor unless that aspect (variable-power) is expressly specified, as otherwise LPVOs are very expensive so even if they compete alongside fixed-power scopes they're likely to lose out big time in commercial bidding stage.

That said, with SIG Sauer being so exceptionally successful in Indian small arms market in recent times (716s for Army, MPX as well as ROMEO4 optics for NSG), I must say I have a pretty strong gut feeling that the SIG BRAVO5 might well emerge the victor in this competition.

bravo5.JPG

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
If this article is true, then bad news guys, it turns out the few thousand magnified optics that IA was looking for are expressly meant for the LMGs we recently bought (the Negevs), not the SIG 716s.

Must say, the bit about IA wanting a maximum magnification power of 5x is weird. It's not a standard power used by any NATO military (service-issue magnifiers in West are usually 4x or 6x) - if that bit is true then expect to see a model that's not usually used by most, if any, military in the world.

Good thing is, there are some good 5x magnifiers out there from reputable manufacturers, but any LPVO is unlikely to emerge victor unless that aspect (variable-power) is expressly specified, as otherwise LPVOs are very expensive so even if they compete alongside fixed-power scopes they're likely to lose out big time in commercial bidding stage.

That said, with SIG Sauer being so exceptionally successful in Indian small arms market in recent times (716s for Army, MPX as well as ROMEO4 optics for NSG), I must say I have a pretty strong gut feeling that the SIG BRAVO5 might well emerge the victor in this competition.

View attachment 74829
5x?? When there are many vendors with 4x and 6x why would army specifically ask for 5x which is pretty rare. Thats most probably another staged RFI.

Killbot

Country flag
5x?? When there are many vendors with 4x and 6x why would army specifically ask for 5x which is pretty rare. Thats most probably another staged RFI.
5x is maximum magnification. Even 4x will be accepted. Depends on which entry meets GSQRs, clear the trials, and then emerges lowest bidder in bidding prcess.

Killbot

Country flag

View attachment 74829
Sig's page says that Bravo5 has 8 daylight and 3 night vision settings. That is one hell of a feature to have on a prism scope..

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I don't know under what criteria IA has chosen this riffle?

Look at the first pic. The soldier is nowhere to look comfortable while aiming. Its size look too big.
i think you have no idea what you are talking about, it fires a full size battle cartridge, its much lighter and more compact that a SLR.
it has a adjustable buttstock and is insanely modular.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
I don't know under what criteria IA has chosen this riffle?

Look at the first pic. The soldier is nowhere to look comfortable while aiming. Its size look too big.
May be this will make things bit clear.

First and foremost, we are smol.
It's a fact and you can't do much. As you must be accustomed to see Murican YouTubers shooting guns, it's hard to comprehend the same gun with someone having our physique.

Second, if our Tier 1 and 2 operators are excluded then almost all of the remaining soldiers still use antique techniques.
Example you can see the Jawan "Chicken Winging". Another one, almost all of our policemen carry their sidearm in cross-draw holster.

To conclude, this is a M2. A 30+ kg hmg.
Richard-Ryan-M2-Browning-Ma-Deuce.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles