Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Gessler

Country flag
Nahi hai bhai.
How long will this same question come up?
Yea, getting tiresome now. I think people are seeing RR's FAB AKs with optics and thinking this is standard issue for all IA now.

1. There was a tender for appropriate LPVO scope for these rifles. But there is no update on that. It's most probably dead.
Far as I know, the tender was for magnifiers. Said nothing about variable-power, correct me if wrong. If indeed variable-power was specified, gotta say that's pretty forward-thinking of IA.

2. We have a good number of holographic sights, but there is no point of a holographic sight on this calibre and it's intended range. Unless obviously there are magnifiers.
While holos or reflex sights are definitely not the preferred optic for these guns, they are still several magnitudes better than iron sights in terms of guaranteeing quick acquisition of targets, even with both eyes open to maintain awareness.

LPVO >>> Fixed magnifier >>>> RDS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Irons

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Far as I know, the tender was for magnifiers. Said nothing about variable-power, correct me if wrong. If indeed variable-power was specified, gotta say that's pretty forward-thinking of IA.
I was just guesstimating mate; or may be that's what I wanted to see :drool:
The only two things known about that tender is "...telescopic..." and "12,000". That's it.
It could be anything from ACOGs to Schmidt & Bender.

they are still several magnitudes better than iron sights
Indeed they are. But we don't have much. Compared to all the RDS we have, the number of magnifiers is negligible.

Unknowncommando 2

Country flag
#MissionFirst Brigade #GurjDivision organised a half marathon, combat run and slithering on #ArmyDay 2021.JKP, BSF and ITBP personnel participated in unison.
#IndianArmy
#HarKaamDeshKeNaam
#ArmyDay 2021
#NationFirst
20210115_161806.jpg

Infantry battalions other than those posted along the frontlines are also being issued with Sig 716.

Gessler

Country flag
With Eotech & Foregrip
View attachment 73899
Can't wait to see Garuds replace their 5.56 STAR-21 with SIG716s as Marksman rifle. The 716 with a VFG, Bipod & Mepro X6 magnifier would look killer. .308 round on AR-10 platform would finally do justice to 6x magnification.

Air Force & Navy also received few thousand 716s so its just a matter of time before we see that combo.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Can't wait to see Garuds replace their 5.56 STAR-21 with SIG716s as Marksman rifle. The 716 with a VFG, Bipod & Mepro X6 magnifier would look killer. .308 round on AR-10 platform would finally do justice to 6x magnification.

Air Force & Navy also received few thousand 716s so its just a matter of time before we see that combo.

They must ask for 20 inch barrel version too.

Killbot

Country flag
There isn't any 20" for 716 off the shelf from SIG. Will have to be custom ordered, but won't and shouldn't be done unless they get a feel for the 16" first.
There is a version, but it is piston driven and available only in 6.5CM, so far. I would be happier than anyone to see it adopted by our special forces.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
There is a version, but it is piston driven and available only in 6.5CM, so far. I would be happier than anyone to see it adopted by our special forces.
There isn't any 20" for 716 off the shelf from SIG. Will have to be custom ordered, but won't and shouldn't be done unless they get a feel for the 16" first.
I know they only built a few of those. But can be done for IA. I am sure we will be going for repeat order of third batch of these if feedback from infantry is good.

Gessler

Country flag
That's an 18" iirc.

I know they only built a few of those. But can be done for IA. I am sure we will be going for repeat order of third batch of these if feedback from infantry is good.
If the order is big enough anything can be done. Heck they came up with a whole new DI gas system for the 716, a longer barrel is nothing.

Killbot

Country flag
That's an 18" iirc.

If the order is big enough anything can be done. Heck they came up with a whole new DI gas system for the 716, a longer barrel is nothing.
afaik, the DMR version has a 20" barrel. But the 16" 716i can make sub-MOA groups out to 600m (with match grade ammo, ofc). I don't think a longer barrel is required.. It would make an excellent urban marksman rifle. Though I'd prefer an LPVO instead of a fixed power optic.

Gessler

Country flag
afaik, the DMR version has a 20" barrel. But the 16" 716i can make sub-MOA groups out to 600m (with match grade ammo, ofc). I don't think a longer barrel is required.. It would make an excellent urban marksman rifle. Though I'd prefer an LPVO instead of a fixed power optic.
Only 18" is seen here:

If they did a 20" it doesn't look like they're doing it now.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles