Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

Sentimental Patriot

Country flag
It is not the question of the competence of the private firm, it is the drama and allegations of "Crony Capitalism" that will be levelled, and jhumlas on the lines of "Corrupt government gives contract to corporate friends instead of starving PSU " that will be spewed.
BJP is pretty powerful right now, they should just drive ahead in this regard and give jobs to private companies with a good track record.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Didn't they win the 2019 election with a thumping majority?
the thang is mate they are in the office but not in power, also they are scared.
some political parties go ahead with half assed plan and do damage control on the way if shit goes south. BJP doesn't act until they have everything seated perfectly Lesson learned from Demo and GST.

Narendra s rawat

Country flag
No, deal has not been signed yet. Still in cost negotiations, because OFB expects forces to pay 85k for that piece of shit. Minus telescoping stock, railed upper handguard and new safety selector lever. What OFB has proposed to sell to the Army for 85k with their shitty quality control would cost 30k in Russia with Kalashnikov Concern standard quality control.
govt and babus shoveling this deal in the throats
of army and army brass is also not helping by degrading the rifle.
This ak real 203($600per rifle)
images (7).jpeg

this is ak203i(upgraded ak103)($1100 per rifle)
images (8).jpeg

this is ak 12($1000 per rifle with reflex sights included)
images (9).jpeg

In India psu like OFB are a joke.
psu are there to cut the cost of commodity not to increase the cost.
Let take the example of Vietnam
This is galil ace 32($1000-$1200)
images (10).jpeg

This is stv 380( $600-800)
80193512_1650967268394782_5769794496999362525_o.jpg

There state owned enterprise are corrupt sure but they are not incompatant as OFB.
They have downgrade d the rifle sure but they have maintained the quality of the rifle.
Ofb should be fully privatized.
DRDO, ARDA other PSU are Saint when compared to OFB that all I have to say.[/QUOTE]

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
View attachment 64192
View attachment 64193
View attachment 64194
View attachment 64195
View attachment 64196
There state owned enterprise are corrupt sure but they are not incompatant as OFB.
They have downgrade d the rifle sure but they have maintained the quality of the rifle.
DRDO, ARDA other PSU are Saint when compared to OFB that all I have to say.
I don’t know if I’m true but as per MoD, these So called AK-203 Rifles are going to replace the INSAS rifles which according to Wikipedia have been produced between 700,000–900,000 units until 2019. So I think this is just to replace INSAS.

Indian Army may Order some other weapon of similar calibre or existing used calibre 5.56x45 and I guess 🤞 that maybe CAR-816 14.5 Inch or Arad 14.5 Inch might be ordered to supplement but maybe I am wrong as we also have bought 1,50,000 SiG-716 And 94,000 carbines.

Can someone share a recent news in which Indian Army Officials said they will be focussing on modernisation and will buy 10.5 lakh assault rifles, 4 lakh carbines and 3 lakh battle rifles or something?

EDIT: I found it... And ignore the stats I gave, I was dumb :p .

Last edited:

Killbot

Country flag
I don’t know if I’m true but as per MoD, these So called AK-203 Rifles are going to replace the INSAS rifles which according to Wikipedia have been produced between 700,000–900,000 units until 2019. So I think this is just to replace INSAS.

Indian Army may Order some other weapon of similar calibre or existing used calibre 5.56x45 and I guess 🤞 that maybe CAR-816 14.5 Inch or Arad 14.5 Inch might be ordered to supplement but maybe I am wrong as we also have bought 1,50,000 SiG-716 And 94,000 carbines.

Can someone share a recent news in which Indian Army Officials said they will be focussing on modernisation and will buy 10.5 lakh assault rifles, 4 lakh carbines and 3 lakh battle rifles or something?

EDIT: I found it...
6.5 lakh ARs, 4 Lakh carbines and 1.5 lakh BRs. Insas will be replaced by AKs and Sigs both, while sterling 9mm PDWs will be replaced by whatever 5.56 carbine is selected. That report is hogwash, as IA total strength is 13.5ish lakh. Rest 50k or so guns will go to IN and IAF.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
6.5 lakh ARs, 4 Lakh carbines and 1.5 lakh BRs. Insas will be replaced by AKs and Sigs both, while sterling 9mm PDWs will be replaced by whatever 5.56 carbine is selected. That report is hogwash, as IA total strength is 13.5ish lakh. Rest 50k or so guns will go to IN and IAF.
I read that a percentage of 7,50,000 AK-203 Will go to Paramilitary as well.
According to wikipedia around 7-9 lakh INSAS have been produced so considering the higher limit, INSAS is used by Police, Armed Forces, Paramilitary.

That’s why I think a follow on order for more AK-203 will be given But it seems senseless as Replacing AK-47s Of IA with AK-203 is a stupid thought.

1,444,500 is the Size of the #IndianArmedForces.

Killbot

Country flag
I read that a percentage of 7,50,000 AK-203 Will go to Paramilitary as well.
According to wikipedia around 7-9 lakh INSAS have been produced so considering the higher limit, INSAS is used by Police, Armed Forces, Paramilitary.

That’s why I think a follow on order for more AK-203 will be given But it seems senseless as Replacing AK-47s Of IA with AK-203 is a stupid thought.

1,444,500 is the Size of the #IndianArmedForces.
Yeah... It makes sense. But CAPFs are going to conduct a trial of 7.62 assault rifles, Make In India.

As for Army AKs, they'll most likely be upgraded, so that they can cut down as many orders from OFB as possible.

1.45M... So 67k navy, 144k AF, 1.2M Army... About 150k will AKs go to Navy and AF if all 650k are ordered... Most likely not gonna happen. MoD will order maybe 500k, and upgrade 150k Army AKs. FAB defence and SSS Defence come to mind. I'd like to see them go that way because what OFB is making is absolute trash for that price tag.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Yeah... It makes sense. But CAPFs are going to conduct a trial of 7.62 assault rifles, Make In India.

As for Army AKs, they'll most likely be upgraded, so that they can cut down as many orders from OFB as possible.

1.45M... So 67k navy, 144k AF, 1.2M Army... About 150k will AKs go to Navy and AF if all 650k are ordered... Most likely not gonna happen. MoD will order maybe 500k, and upgrade 150k Army AKs. FAB defence and SSS Defence come to mind. I'd like to see them go that way because what OFB is making is absolute trash for that price tag.
I don’t understand why SiG-716i was selected instead of Patrol G2. Would have saved costs, interestingly जहां दाम कम करना चाहिए था वह करा नही और जिस AK-२०३ का नही करना था उसका कार्डिया।

IA selected 716i citing they wanted to mount modern optics on it, I mean how much space do you need for mounting accessories?

and they exaggerate this as if they’re gonna equip all 716i with lasers, optics, foregrips, flashlights, ir illuminators etc, heck even that gets fit into a standard length rail.
1603549997258.jpeg

I can’t understand buying full length rail ones, which must be a bit heavier than regular G2s because of extended rails At extra cost.
1603550060712.jpeg

Killbot

Country flag
I don’t understand why SiG-716i was selected instead of Patrol G2. Would have saved costs, interestingly जहां दाम कम करना चाहिए था वह करा नही और जिस AK-२०३ का नही करना था उसका कार्डिया।

IA selected 716i citing they wanted to mount modern optics on it, I mean how much space do you need for mounting accessories?

and they exaggerate this as if they’re gonna equip all 716i with lasers, optics, foregrips, flashlights, ir illuminators etc, heck even that gets fit into a standard length rail.
View attachment 64203

I can’t understand buying full length rail ones, which must be a bit heavier than regular G2s because of extended rails At extra cost.
View attachment 64204
No they are lighter. G2s have an 18" barrel, and keymod rails. Heavier than 716i with M-Lok and 16" barrel.
They selected 716i because that was what S8g offered, as it is reliable, and lower cost. ie it has better chances of winning the tender.

shade

Country flag
OFB shouldn't be privatized but purged of the kamchors first and be reformed so that it is *run like a private company.
Failure, incompetency and mediocrity should be punished and success should be incentivized and rewarded.

Even a private sector company in this industry should have Gov being it's Mai-Baap provided the firm continues to deliver results.

Wisemarko

Country flag

View attachment 64203

View attachment 64204
Patrol G2 weighs 4300 grams and 716i 3800 grams. G2 is heavier due to short stroke piston system that 716i does not have. All AR style platforms are usually lighter and cheaper than piston systems.

JBH22

OFB shouldn't be privatized but purged of the kamchors first and be reformed so that it is *run like a private company.
Failure, incompetency and mediocrity should be punished and success should be incentivized and rewarded.

Even a private sector company in this industry should have Gov being it's Mai-Baap provided the firm continues to deliver results.
It has to be privatised PSU are a recipe for disaster. Take SBI it's staff are demotivated, do same job for much lower salary as compared to private sector bank. Underpaid brings resentment.

ManhattanProject

Country flag
It has to be privatised PSU are a recipe for disaster. Take SBI it's staff are demotivated, do same job for much lower salary as compared to private sector bank. Underpaid brings resentment.
what about other perks like living quarters, pensions and being practically unfireable.

Killswitch

Country flag
View attachment 64192
View attachment 64193
View attachment 64194
View attachment 64195
View attachment 64196
DRDO, ARDA other PSU are Saint when compared to OFB that all I have to say.
[/QUOTE]
I wish the IA would for the AK 12 style iron sights. The rear sight is far closer to the eye of the shooter, and the front sight is also somewhat closer. It's faster and easier to acquire targets with this more modern iron sight set up, and if you don't believe me, ask the Russians why they have adopted it.

Killbot

Country flag
I wish the IA would for the AK 12 style iron sights. The rear sight is far closer to the eye of the shooter, and the front sight is also somewhat closer. It's faster and easier to acquire targets with this more modern iron sight set up, and if you don't believe me, ask the Russians why they have adopted it.
You seem to be under the delusion that the Indian MoD gives a fuck about operator comfort.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles